Author Topic: Weekend Update 5/10/20  (Read 17826 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jpwisc

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1322
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +3935
    • Skally Line Blog
Re: Weekend Update 5/10/20
« Reply #105 on: May 12, 2020, 11:55:32 PM »
+16
I finished off a Clinchfield caboose. It was fun detailing this one.
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
Karl
CEO of the WC White Pine Sub, an Upper Peninsula Branch Line.

Cajonpassfan

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 5401
  • Respect: +1975
Re: Weekend Update 5/10/20
« Reply #106 on: May 13, 2020, 12:08:08 AM »
0
That's a scratch-bash  I did of one of the two 1949 Budd Tavern-Lounge cars, built for DL&W's
 new streamliner, The Phoebe Snow.

Greg O.

Very nice, thank you.
Otto

nkalanaga

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 10593
  • Respect: +1771
Re: Weekend Update 5/10/20
« Reply #107 on: May 13, 2020, 12:46:22 AM »
0
NtheBasement:  As Jane said, I can't see them either.  I have seen the Sioux City bridge, in person and in BNSF calendars, so have a good idea of what you're describing.  And I agree, unless you want to spend the next decade building a bridge, best to avoid the lattice work!
N Kalanaga
Be well

PiperguyUMD

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 858
  • Respect: +2280
Re: Weekend Update 5/10/20
« Reply #108 on: May 13, 2020, 07:29:04 AM »
+1
I finished off a Clinchfield caboose. It was fun detailing this one.
(Attachment Link)

Nice! I have a soft spot for the Clinchfield. I drive under this bridge when we go to town.



Missaberoad

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3834
  • Gender: Male
  • Ryan in Alberta
  • Respect: +1378
Re: Weekend Update 5/10/20
« Reply #109 on: May 13, 2020, 12:27:19 PM »
+1
He wants to build a module with a bit of the Fallout video game 50's alternate time line reference. Still deciding on how to do the Red Rocket diner.

"N-trak... N-Trak never changes"

Excited to see how this progresses.. There's alot of really cool material to work off off...
Need a bunch of wagon top boxcars ;)

Missaberoad

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3834
  • Gender: Male
  • Ryan in Alberta
  • Respect: +1378
Re: Weekend Update 5/10/20
« Reply #110 on: May 13, 2020, 12:29:43 PM »
0
I finished off a Clinchfield caboose. It was fun detailing this one.
Very nice work Karl! What model was your starting point?

JanesCustomTrain

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 397
  • Respect: +74
Re: Weekend Update 5/10/20
« Reply #111 on: May 13, 2020, 05:08:21 PM »
0
At the risk of causing someone to miss out on another good forum...

Thanks   ;)

Jane
I don't want to start any blasphemous rumors
But I think that God's got a sick sense of humor
And when I die I expect to find Him laughing...

jpwisc

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1322
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +3935
    • Skally Line Blog
Re: Weekend Update 5/10/20
« Reply #112 on: May 13, 2020, 06:40:44 PM »
0
Very nice work Karl! What model was your starting point?

Thank you! It was an old Atlas caboose. A CRR modeler made the resin cast steps and the modified car floor. It moved the trucks closer together. I added the grabs and the end railings. I had to make the windows from spare plastic. It was a pretty simple build.
Karl
CEO of the WC White Pine Sub, an Upper Peninsula Branch Line.

dem34

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1887
  • Gender: Male
  • Only here to learn through Osmosis
  • Respect: +1453
Re: Weekend Update 5/10/20
« Reply #113 on: May 13, 2020, 07:11:13 PM »
0
"N-trak... N-Trak never changes"

Excited to see how this progresses.. There's alot of really cool material to work off off...
Need a bunch of wagon top boxcars ;)

And a couple multistory locomotives.

Side requirement is a couple of 11ft 8 overpasses across Red, Yellow, and Blue
-Al

delamaize

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2655
  • Gender: Male
  • Prairie Line Native
  • Respect: +1027
Re: Weekend Update 5/10/20
« Reply #114 on: May 13, 2020, 10:18:07 PM »
+4
On the caboose thing, I did get something done worth showing off this week.
I took one of the Kato Cabooses that was a ATSF Foob and mad a NP Foob out of it, after a quick paint job, and cherry picking decals from several sheets.
Overall, I'm pretty happy with it, It's not perfect, but it's the first time I have been able to get decals to work right, and look good.
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
Here is a compairson to one of Atlas' cabooses
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
And finally my other Caboose project on the right of the atlas caboose.
It started life as a offset cupola caboose, Can't remember which manufacture, Which I cut down, and painted up. This is what I think NP would have done, if they started making their short cabooses out of metal instead of wood.
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
Mike
Skookumchuck Belt Line Founder

Northern Pacific, Tacoma Division, 4th subdivision "The Prarie Line" (still in planning stages)

Mark W

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1988
  • Respect: +2125
    • Free-moNebraska
Re: Weekend Update 5/10/20
« Reply #115 on: May 13, 2020, 10:33:22 PM »
+1

Pics from 2011:

@NtheBasement AWESOME Build! I might have to adopt that technique for the 2013 bridge.  For the 1903 bridge, I am going to do the lattice box beams...  wish me luck!  :scared:
Contact me about custom model building.
Learn more about Free-moNebraska.
Learn more about HOn3-mo.

craigolio1

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2738
  • Respect: +2388
Re: Weekend Update 5/10/20
« Reply #116 on: May 13, 2020, 11:32:39 PM »
0
@Dave V you've been counted among us for quite a long time now. Even in your N Scale PRR HCD days, you were genuinely an a$$hat. So there!

Can't deal with blood, and needles make me faint...

Actually, @VonRyan planted the seed--after I finished animating two box fans for a hardware store window display, he suggested I make a desk fan that oscillates. But he was being facetious, not expecting me to actually do it. I immediately began sketching a mechanism on the back of an envelope, which is not far from what I actually built. (And it's a virtual clone of one I built to make a windmill spin and oscillate back in the late '90s.)

Well, you're in luck, because I just completed the drive system, so now it runs all on its own.


When it's installed (most likely in the Foxx and Vollmer law offices), it'll be accompanied by a green banker's desk lamp... something I've wanted to model for a while, which will help illuminate the fan.

I think this might be the coolest project I’ve ever seen.

Craig.

NtheBasement

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 396
  • Respect: +489
    • Moving coal in N scale
Re: Weekend Update 5/10/20
« Reply #117 on: May 14, 2020, 09:20:08 AM »
0
@NtheBasement AWESOME Build! I might have to adopt that technique for the 2013 bridge.  For the 1903 bridge, I am going to do the lattice box beams...  wish me luck!  :scared:
Please update us as you go.  Will be interested to see how you do the lattice work.

Google Earth is worth installing just for it's measuring tool.
Moving coal the old way: https://youtu.be/RWJVt4r_pgc
Moving coal the new way: https://youtu.be/UUk0kOaZliY

C855B

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 11425
  • Respect: +2893
Re: Weekend Update 5/10/20
« Reply #118 on: May 14, 2020, 09:28:40 AM »
0
... Google Earth is worth installing just for its measuring tool.

https://www.google.com/maps has the same tool, no need to load the app. Just right-click and select from the pop-up.
...mike

http://www.gibboncozadandwestern.com

Note: Images linked in my postings are on an HTTP server, not HTTPS. Enable "mixed content" in your browser to view.

There are over 1000 images on this server. Not changing anytime soon.

OldEastRR

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3789
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +514
Re: Weekend Update 5/10/20
« Reply #119 on: May 14, 2020, 12:17:50 PM »
0
It was considered a safety precaution between the 20s and 60s. Theory was running short hood forward would put the engineer at great risk from a collision at a grade crossing. While running long hood would put an entire Diesel Prime mover between the crew and the danger.

Apparently the engineers on diesel or electric  passenger locos were expendable since the '30s, since Es, GG1s, DL109s, EP-4s, Sharknoses, C-liners and PAs all had front end cabs?