Author Topic: Weekend Update 5/10/20  (Read 17827 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

up1950s

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 9967
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +2888
Weekend Update 5/10/20
« on: May 08, 2020, 07:23:59 PM »
+6


Richie Dost

Dave V

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 12297
  • Gender: Male
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +11827
Re: Weekend Update 5/10/20
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2020, 08:05:38 PM »
+42
These are views of my “displaced Rico town scene.” The real town should be on the hill behind the depot… However, I really enjoy building three-dimensional structures and I wanted a nice, non-railroad scene that would convey the sense of a mining town past its prime. So I stuck it where I had some extra room on the north end of Rico yard. It’s actually not terribly intrusive when viewed from the depot area.  That said I got pushback from at least one RGS fan who is irked that I made a compromise here with respect to the position of the town.  He seemed offended and no longer considers Rico to be Rico on my layout.  It's been a very bizarre conversation.













Then I did some San Juan Central stuff.














tehachapifan

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3480
  • Respect: +1168
Re: Weekend Update 5/10/20
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2020, 08:28:24 PM »
0
Wow, Dave! Stellar!! :o :o :o

glakedylan

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1486
  • Gender: Male
  • Give Respect. Expect Respect.
  • Respect: +249
    • Justice Kindness Humbleness —Micah 6.8
Re: Weekend Update 5/10/20
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2020, 08:35:36 PM »
0
fantastic, Dave...so very well done!


your work is so encompassing and really brings life to your railroad


as for the guy you noted, does not seem to be one for conversation.
your Rico is as Rico as you want it to be.


thanks for sharing
Gary
PRRT&HS #9304 | PHILLY CHAPTER #2384

Maletrain

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 4232
  • Respect: +907
Re: Weekend Update 5/10/20
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2020, 09:00:15 PM »
0
Rule #1! 

Looks great, Dave!

Dave V

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 12297
  • Gender: Male
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +11827
Re: Weekend Update 5/10/20
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2020, 09:21:05 PM »
+4

as for the guy you noted, does not seem to be one for conversation.
your Rico is as Rico as you want it to be.


Actually, he wrote two dissertations on Facebook in the comment thread defending his position.  My problem is that I really do suffer from "impostor syndrome."  While I share my stuff enthusiastically, it's not out of hubris but out of hope that I'll finally genuinely feel like I deserve to be counted among you all.  So a guy like that...my higher brain functions tell me to blow him off, but deeper down I will always wonder if he's right.  Believe it or not it takes no small amount of courage to share my stuff when I feel like it's so inferior.

DKS

  • The Pitt
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 13424
  • Respect: +7027
Re: Weekend Update 5/10/20
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2020, 09:24:29 PM »
+27

PiperguyUMD

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 858
  • Respect: +2280
Re: Weekend Update 5/10/20
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2020, 09:32:25 PM »
+8
@Dave V your stuff kicks @$$.

Many steps forward on the Jack's Mountain module. Details in the layout thread.



Dave V

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 12297
  • Gender: Male
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +11827
Re: Weekend Update 5/10/20
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2020, 09:34:56 PM »
0
@Dave V your stuff kicks @$$.

Many steps forward on the Jack's Mountain module. Details in the layout thread.



Thanks, but I have to say what you've posted there is way out of my league...  Spectacular!

glakedylan

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1486
  • Gender: Male
  • Give Respect. Expect Respect.
  • Respect: +249
    • Justice Kindness Humbleness —Micah 6.8
Re: Weekend Update 5/10/20
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2020, 09:35:01 PM »
+2
@Dave V
honesty is a virtue
but your work and how you go about it
including your photography and presentation in picture and video
are top shelf stuff
no doubt about it.


congrats on the progress and keep it coming!


sincerely
Gary
PRRT&HS #9304 | PHILLY CHAPTER #2384

Chris333

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 19627
  • Respect: +6940
Re: Weekend Update 5/10/20
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2020, 09:36:53 PM »
+2
Dave I'm not up on all the western narrow gauge, but wasn't Rico 1:1 scale not 1:87?   :trollface:  I don my troll cape and search the intermost of webs to find injustice.

narrowminded

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2305
  • Respect: +743
Re: Weekend Update 5/10/20
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2020, 09:46:54 PM »
0
These are views of my “displaced Rico town scene.” The real town should be on the hill behind the depot… However, I really enjoy building three-dimensional structures and I wanted a nice, non-railroad scene that would convey the sense of a mining town past its prime. So I stuck it where I had some extra room on the north end of Rico yard. It’s actually not terribly intrusive when viewed from the depot area.  That said I got pushback from at least one RGS fan who is irked that I made a compromise here with respect to the position of the town.  He seemed offended and no longer considers Rico to be Rico on my layout.  It's been a very bizarre conversation.


Dave, time to pull out the GG1 for some glam shots.   :trollface:
Mark G.

Dave V

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 12297
  • Gender: Male
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +11827
Re: Weekend Update 5/10/20
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2020, 09:48:35 PM »
+1
I do love to hit up the RGS page with San Juan Central stuff...  Most of the RGS guys love it!  I don’t think you can model Colorado narrow gauge and not have at least a soft spot in your heart for SJC!

dem34

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1887
  • Gender: Male
  • Only here to learn through Osmosis
  • Respect: +1453
Re: Weekend Update 5/10/20
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2020, 10:02:07 PM »
+7
I can't clone a desk fan so instead I made some hand laid sectional track in Code 40 and Code 55 varieties this evening.










[size=8pt]I need a better photo capturing solution[/size]
New Phone on the way
« Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 11:27:52 PM by dem34 »
-Al

nkalanaga

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 10593
  • Respect: +1771
Re: Weekend Update 5/10/20
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2020, 12:14:36 AM »
0
Dave V:  Instead of a GG1, how about string of EBT hoppers behind an RGS loco?  If the RGS had lasted a little longer, at least part of it would probably be a tourist line, and it seems that every 3-foot gauge line in North America has some of those hoppers by now.
N Kalanaga
Be well