Author Topic: Weekend Update 5/10/20  (Read 17826 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

SP-Wolf

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 834
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +2085
Re: Weekend Update 5/10/20
« Reply #90 on: May 11, 2020, 10:10:37 PM »
0
My inner LV fan is following intently. Did you scratch build the hood modification?

Hi Ed,

It's more modify then scratch build. I removed the angle part of the hood. Glued it back onto the long hood. - Making sure it was straight and flat. Then, I cut triangles to fill in the space left. Next I will use Tamiya filler to smooth it all out. Next challenge is to figure out the dynamic brake side grills/openings.

Thanks,
Wolf

x600

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 512
  • Respect: +314
Re: Weekend Update 5/10/20
« Reply #91 on: May 11, 2020, 11:03:16 PM »
0
Nice work, Wolf, as usual. Can’t wait to run the E’s...
Otto

Wait now, Phoebe is heading back on the Santa Fe?
Somebody's got some 'splaynin ta do !!

Greg O.

tehachapifan

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3480
  • Respect: +1168
Re: Weekend Update 5/10/20
« Reply #92 on: May 11, 2020, 11:06:11 PM »
0
Hi Ed,

....Next challenge is to figure out the dynamic brake side grills/openings.

Thanks,
Wolf

This is what's kept me from attempting said bash myself. That and the access door beneath the grills. Looking forward to seeing your solution.

Ed Kapuscinski

  • Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 26113
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +11619
    • Conrail 1285
Re: Weekend Update 5/10/20
« Reply #93 on: May 11, 2020, 11:26:44 PM »
0
This is what's kept me from attempting said bash myself. That and the access door beneath the grills. Looking forward to seeing your solution.

I am too.

I'd love to have a couple LV pups and a couple former LV pups, but this has always seemed like quite the hassle.

I actually think there's a part on Shapeways that you can use though.

tehachapifan

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3480
  • Respect: +1168
Re: Weekend Update 5/10/20
« Reply #94 on: May 11, 2020, 11:30:40 PM »
0
I am too.

I'd love to have a couple LV pups and a couple former LV pups, but this has always seemed like quite the hassle.

I actually think there's a part on Shapeways that you can use though.

It's been a while since I looked but, IIRC, the SW part was not quite correct for an SP unit. Will look there again though.

NtheBasement

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 396
  • Respect: +489
    • Moving coal in N scale
Re: Weekend Update 5/10/20
« Reply #95 on: May 12, 2020, 08:26:36 AM »
0
NtheBasement:  I tried your link to nscale.net.  It says I have to log-in to see it...
Sorry about that.  Lots of people on this forum are also on that one, lots worthwhile over there.
Here are some of the photos - I've added some of the descriptions.  Hope they are visible.




2 I was looking for a bridge for spanning my aisle. It had to be a through truss to provide maximum duckunder clearance, and it had to be 400 to 550 feet in length. Spans this long turn out to be relatively rare. Scrolling up the Ohio on Google earth I found some candidates, but when I googled photos I found they were old bridges with lattice work. No lattice work for me!
I finally found the 425 foot prototype on the Missouri in Sioux City. It doesn't have lattice - it was built in the 1980s.




4 After finding the right bridge, measurements were taken from Google Earth's measuring tool. Ratios from measurements taken off the monitor screen of various photos found on google searches were used to find dimensions. The bridge was then drawn using my old drafting table to scale. By carefully setting the copier's scale settings I made true-to-Nscale copies for each side of the bridge and taped one to a sheet of glass on the tilted drafting table. I did the styrene cutting and glue-up over the drawings and created both sides first.


5 The two side chords and deck are done. Next are the interior braces, then the top bracing.

Moving coal the old way: https://youtu.be/RWJVt4r_pgc
Moving coal the new way: https://youtu.be/UUk0kOaZliY

Cajonpassfan

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 5401
  • Respect: +1975
Re: Weekend Update 5/10/20
« Reply #96 on: May 12, 2020, 10:47:52 AM »
0
Wait now, Phoebe is heading back on the Santa Fe?
Somebody's got some 'splaynin ta do !!

Greg O.

Ha, I’d be honored to have Wolf over to test tun the EL units on my Santa Fe LA Division layout, but my comment was about running them at their home layout, set in upstate New York.  That ‘splayn’ it for you? :D
Otto

x600

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 512
  • Respect: +314
Re: Weekend Update 5/10/20
« Reply #97 on: May 12, 2020, 05:33:51 PM »
+7
OK Otto, Got it. :facepalm:

Being a DL&W modeller and seeing wolf's nice job on the Es, got my attention. then when you came in it really got me corn fused.

Wolf did the Es for someone in NY.

I just had to get the rest of the story, as they are my all time favorite engines and we don't see them enough on here :x

BTW, I run my Phoebe Snow here in the Pacific NW on "GN/NP" trackage rights. She can turn up anywhere.  :D

Greg O.






« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 05:36:16 PM by x600 »

JanesCustomTrain

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 397
  • Respect: +74
Re: Weekend Update 5/10/20
« Reply #98 on: May 12, 2020, 05:46:57 PM »
+1
Sorry about that.  Lots of people on this forum are also on that one, lots worthwhile over there.
Here are some of the photos - I've added some of the descriptions.  Hope they are visible.

No, not visible here. Easiest would be to upload the pictures to TRW and post them.

Jane
I don't want to start any blasphemous rumors
But I think that God's got a sick sense of humor
And when I die I expect to find Him laughing...

Cajonpassfan

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 5401
  • Respect: +1975
Re: Weekend Update 5/10/20
« Reply #99 on: May 12, 2020, 08:17:23 PM »
0
OK Otto, Got it. :facepalm:

Being a DL&W modeller and seeing wolf's nice job on the Es, got my attention. then when you came in it really got me corn fused.

Wolf did the Es for someone in NY.

I just had to get the rest of the story, as they are my all time favorite engines and we don't see them enough on here :x

BTW, I run my Phoebe Snow here in the Pacific NW on "GN/NP" trackage rights. She can turn up anywhere.  :D

Greg O.

Actually,Wolf is doing it for someone in SoCal, modeling upstate NY. That’s the beauty of round-robin guys, each modeling different places and eras in one metro area. Of course, we’re all stuck at home now... :P
Love that observation car; what is it??
Otto K.

NtheBasement

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 396
  • Respect: +489
    • Moving coal in N scale
Re: Weekend Update 5/10/20
« Reply #100 on: May 12, 2020, 08:23:04 PM »
+7
At the risk of causing someone to miss out on another good forum...
Prototype: https://bridgehunter.com/ia/woodbury/sioux-city-rail/

Pics from 2011:
Moving coal the old way: https://youtu.be/RWJVt4r_pgc
Moving coal the new way: https://youtu.be/UUk0kOaZliY

chicken45

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 4500
  • Gender: Male
  • Will rim for upvotes.
  • Respect: +1014
    • Facebook Profile
Re: Weekend Update 5/10/20
« Reply #101 on: May 12, 2020, 08:52:34 PM »
+1
Speaking of, one of the fun things about that model I'm working on is that the radio antenna is "backwards". Usually they're oriented the other way around for some reason or another but I saw a few photos of Pennsy 9s with them like this so I figured I'd do it for variation.

@Ed Kapuscinski pour one out for our homies. 
Josh Surkosky

Here's a Clerihew about Ed. K.

Ed Kapucinski
Every night, he plants a new tree.
But mention his law
and you've pulled your last straw!

Alternate version:
Ed Kapucinski
Every night, he plants a new tree.
He asks excitedly "Did you say Ménage à Trois?"
No, I said "Ed's Law."

peteski

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 35325
  • Gender: Male
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +6662
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: Weekend Update 5/10/20
« Reply #102 on: May 12, 2020, 09:26:11 PM »
0
At the risk of causing someone to miss out on another good forum..

Pics from 2011:

If I joined bunch of "good" forums, Facebook, and Tweetster, I would never get anything done.  I already spend *WAY TOO MUCH* time on the only model RR forum I belong to - the Railwire.  :P
If I post photos here, I always make sure that every member can see them here - without strings attached.
. . . 42 . . .

x600

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 512
  • Respect: +314
Re: Weekend Update 5/10/20
« Reply #103 on: May 12, 2020, 09:57:31 PM »
+1

Love that observation car; what is it??
Otto K.

That's a scratch-bash  I did of one of the two 1949 Budd Tavern-Lounge cars, built for DL&W's
 new streamliner, The Phoebe Snow.

Greg O.

SkipGear

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2431
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +647
Re: Weekend Update 5/10/20
« Reply #104 on: May 12, 2020, 10:54:02 PM »
+3
My hobbyshop opened back up for curbside last week and we opened back up for in-store today so it's been a busy week or so for me. I did do some more playing/learning on the Photon while I work on drawings for my project, these are files found and modified for my son. He wants to build a module with a bit of the Fallout video game 50's alternate time line reference. Still deciding on how to do the Red Rocket diner.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
Tony Hines