Author Topic: Big Kato Announcement Coming????  (Read 30712 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

wcfn100

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 8947
  • Respect: +1383
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
Re: Big Kato Announcement Coming????
« Reply #120 on: September 28, 2010, 09:27:29 PM »
0
The centercab project has been ongoing for several years now.  It think at one point Wig-Wag had put up info on their site trying to generate interest.  All the designs were/are done but none of the parties involved had enough cash to actually get the thing built.

Anyways, that's how I remember reading all the posts.

Didn't Charlie also predict another locomotive for trainfest last year that never happened?  I remember something about yellow.

Jason

up1950s

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 9966
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +2885
Re: Big Kato Announcement Coming????
« Reply #121 on: September 28, 2010, 10:42:00 PM »
0
Maybe the Dusenberg refers to the number of exhausts that protrude from the body ?

LIRR VO 660


Or as mentioned before DT 6-6-2000
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 11:12:38 PM by up1950s »


Richie Dost

Mark5

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 11877
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +942
Re: Big Kato Announcement Coming????
« Reply #122 on: September 29, 2010, 12:07:35 AM »
0
A big Baldwin would be interesting! Now sure how that fits with the Kato formula. On the other hand I'm not sure what the Kato formula is!


wcfn100

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 8947
  • Respect: +1383
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
Re: Big Kato Announcement Coming????
« Reply #123 on: September 29, 2010, 12:15:51 AM »
0

Or as mentioned before DT 6-6-2000



A rebuild would interesting, but I think this is the one they measured.



Jason

Rossford Yard

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1201
  • Respect: +165
Re: Big Kato Announcement Coming????
« Reply #124 on: September 29, 2010, 07:25:10 AM »
0
A big Baldwin would be interesting! Now sure how that fits with the Kato formula. On the other hand I'm not sure what the Kato formula is!

I have heard that the Kato formula consists of:

"Iconic Trains"
"Greater Prototype Fidelity"

I think their releases confirm this.  Certainly their name trains are iconic and the re-releases of the SD40-2, but only in prototypes and phases for ATSF/BN/BNSF details would bear this out.

Since it is said to be a doozy, I predict its along the lines of an iconic engine or train.  Other than that, I got nothin. ;D

gelboy45

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 110
  • Respect: +8
Re: Big Kato Announcement Coming????
« Reply #125 on: September 29, 2010, 07:42:43 AM »
0
Is it the iconic ' The Train of Tomorrow' in original and UP colours?
Gerry
;o)))

ljudice

  • Guest
Re: Big Kato Announcement Coming????
« Reply #126 on: September 29, 2010, 12:33:49 PM »
0
No question about it...   A locomotive owned by the EJ&E and MN&S...  would be...   a longshot.

What the US/Canada needs is a second channel - like Lemke in Europe that contracts with Kato to do offbeat, low volume models at a higher price.

The thing is there are surely people who want locos like this one - the question is what would you pay? A lot of the Lemke contracted Euro stuff is around $200-250 for something of this complexity.  Would you pay for a Kato like that?

lashedup

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 879
  • Respect: +108
    • Model 160
Re: Big Kato Announcement Coming????
« Reply #127 on: September 29, 2010, 12:35:22 PM »
0
Nobody seems to be buying my Olympian Hiawatha theory huh?

With Little Joe power. If you read my fist post in this discussion you'll see I agree with you. :D

Puddington

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3874
  • Gender: Male
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +247
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
Re: Big Kato Announcement Coming????
« Reply #128 on: September 29, 2010, 01:57:40 PM »
0
Michael Miles: Ok Mrs Scum...What's Kato's Big Surprise?

Woman: MAP pricing.

Michael Miles: No.

Woman: Goats. Underwater goats with snorkels and flippers.

Michael Miles: No, no.

Woman: A buffalo with an aqualung.

Michael Miles: No, no.

Woman: A re-painted GS 4....with a price increase.....

Michael Miles: Yes, that's near enough. I'll give you that. Right, now, Mrs Scum, you have won your prize, do you still want the blow to your wallet?

Woman: Yes, yes.



With sincere apologies to the Python clan........... ;D
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

FrankCampagna

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 999
  • Respect: 0
Re: Big Kato Announcement Coming????
« Reply #129 on: September 29, 2010, 01:58:25 PM »
0
The City of New Orleans was colorful, and a train even non-model railroaders might be interested in.

Frank
"Once I built a railroad, made it run......."

Tom L

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 476
  • Respect: +530
Re: Big Kato Announcement Coming????
« Reply #130 on: September 29, 2010, 01:58:58 PM »
0
Even though I posted the link about the Baldwin, I don't thinks that's it.  I mostly just wanted to convolute an already hazy, meadering thread.

I am with the Hiawatha/Little Joe camp.  Why?  Because it is something that doesn't fit my modeling theme but would be a "must have" on account of the coolness factor AND I just had to spend $2000 on my dog, so it makes sense that this would happen when I have no hobby funds.  Yes, the train gods like to torment me in such ways.

Personally, I would prefer a Hiawatha pulled by a F-7 Hudson, that would be a doozy in my book.  Had that come along before the dog issue,  the poor dogs future would have been grim (just kidding, of course).

Tom L.


tom mann

  • Administrator
  • Crew
  • *****
  • Posts: 10921
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
  • Respect: +1017
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
Re: Big Kato Announcement Coming????
« Reply #131 on: September 29, 2010, 02:06:29 PM »
0
Well, a Little Joe would be most welcome.  The recently released HO scale one by <company name redacted> doesn't look right to me and is too expensive.


sundowner

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1266
  • Respect: +148
Re: Big Kato Announcement Coming????
« Reply #132 on: September 29, 2010, 02:41:55 PM »
0
Speaking of models Kato will never do, those ES44AC's should be shipping in a couple of days!

 ;D



Pictures are up.
Which ever side of the track I am on is the right side.

lock4244

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 4586
  • Respect: +886
    • My train pics
Re: Big Kato Announcement Coming????
« Reply #133 on: September 29, 2010, 02:59:20 PM »
0
A TH&B NW-2, that'd be a real surprise!

sundowner

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1266
  • Respect: +148
Re: Big Kato Announcement Coming????
« Reply #134 on: September 29, 2010, 02:59:34 PM »
0
Maybe is a Conrail SD40-2 completed with flexicoil trucks to get the queens to finally shut up. Read in the Atlas HO forum that Mr. Kato himself bought a model at a train shown not long ago that he was really impress with;D

SD70m-2 are also a possibility in CP, NS and FEC.

Also the MRL SD70ACe that was on the teaser add with the BNSF and CSX Aces has not been announced and maybe someone in Japan would like a Southern Belle KCS Aces or Gevo.

Could also be something Amtrak related like the Autotrain or a proper Acela train set for Amtrak's 40th.

Which ever side of the track I am on is the right side.