Author Topic: Weekend Update 5/10/20  (Read 13638 times)

Roger Holmes

• Crew
  • Respect: +580
Re: Weekend Update 5/10/20
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2020, 01:41:24 PM »
+1
Dave-- First, your scene is "Que Rico!"

My first job was as a high school janitor, then bank teller an finally (with a few stops in between) a Trial Court Judge.  Throughout I developed an observation that no matter what I was doing 2% of the people I dealt with caused 98% of my grief. 

In June 2002 RMC published my first article titled "Plausible Reality."  My downtown Chicago scene has buildings out of order from their actual orientation and has many buildings (a lot from CMR) that aren't really Chicago buildings  but the scene makes me happy and visitors always seem to know it's Chicago due to a few "signature" buildings. Life is good!  Enjoy your amazing modeling.
Best regards,

Roger

There are 10 kinds of people in the world.  Those who understand the binary system and those who don't.

ncbqguy

• Crew
  • Respect: +384
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2020, 02:13:08 PM »
Continuing my Hiawatha kick, I received my next project in the mail

Who makes the shells?  Interesting no ID on the packaging.   Is it a resin copy of the GHQ shell or original work?   Any othe products?
Charlie Vlk

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6785
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2020, 02:18:48 PM »
Dave-- First, your scene is "Que Rico!"

No, it’s Rico Suave!”  :D

DFF

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

Bryn

• Crew
  • Respect: +459
« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2020, 02:25:37 PM »
+9

Some more progress on the depot on my N scale diorama; gutters, signage, conduit etc.

sd45elect2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +452
« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2020, 02:30:02 PM »

Who makes the shells?  Interesting no ID on the packaging.   Is it a resin copy of the GHQ shell or original work?   Any othe products?
Charlie Vlk

JnJ made Hiawatha passenger car shells years ago. I think Troy did the cars from the 1938 train. They were not copied from the GHQ cars as JnJ was a year or two before GHQ did theirs.

If you have a beaver tail obs car post a photo I might be able to ID it.

Randy

Mark W

• Crew
  • Respect: +2125
    • Free-moNebraska
« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2020, 02:39:24 PM »
+1

Charlie Vlk

It is the GHQ shell.  Or at least, this is what came in the box straight from GHQ.  The instruction sheet still call everything metal cast, but I believe they did a second run in resin. 

Second project from me this week.  A massive bridge mockup!  Check out the details over in the Free-moNebraska thread.

A 400 foot span from a nearly 1700 foot bridge.  I roughed out the uprights and did a quick 3D print.  2 and a half feet long, this span is going to look awesome!

https://i.imgur.com/1aLPvrn.jpg

And that's less than 1/3rd th the whole bridge!  Add in 7 more spans and.... well...  here's a dog for scale!

https://i.imgur.com/2jdawUD.jpg

Contact me about custom model building.
Learn more about Free-moNebraska.
Learn more about HOn3-mo.

robert3985

• Crew
  • Respect: +1254
« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2020, 02:40:55 PM »
@DKS Hahaha!  This brings a big ol' smile to my face!  I'm not one for animation on my layout, but...I often tell stories about the stuff you do DKS!  Absolutely legendary!

What really pops up and knocks me on the head is that I have never...never though about animating a desk fan.  The "ordinary" made extraordinary is exceptional in representing reality in model form.

Can't wait to see it oscillating!

Cheerio!
Bob Gilmore

ednadolski

• Crew
  • Respect: +1665
« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2020, 03:19:34 PM »

Brilliant!   @DKS have you ever considered a career in microsurgery?

Ed

Tom L

• Crew
  • Respect: +495
« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2020, 04:04:12 PM »
+6
Ive been doing a lot of rolling stock projects and decided to shift gears and work on the layout. So I have this area, which is a flour mill, and I am going to fancy it up a bit by adding structure to the “original” Atlas brick structure on the right. The cardboard is the general footprint of this building.  I built a corrugated metal structure to enclose the spot in front of the elevator where the CBQ covered hopper is(paints drying).

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

I am shooting for something similar to the elevator structure addition in this picture of the National Biscuit Company.  I like the mix of Airslide hoppers and single sheathed boxcars!

Here is a photo before the elevator was added, from about the same location. The new building ruined the view out the windows!

Tom L
Wellington CO

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #39 on: May 09, 2020, 04:25:44 PM »
+12
My problem is that I really do suffer from "impostor syndrome."  While I share my stuff enthusiastically, it's not out of hubris but out of hope that I'll finally genuinely feel like I deserve to be counted among you all.

@Dave V you've been counted among us for quite a long time now. Even in your N Scale PRR HCD days, you were genuinely an a$$hat. So there!

Brilliant!   @DKS have you ever considered a career in microsurgery?

Can't deal with blood, and needles make me faint...

@DKS Hahaha!  This brings a big ol' smile to my face!  I'm not one for animation on my layout, but...I often tell stories about the stuff you do DKS!  Absolutely legendary!

What really pops up and knocks me on the head is that I have never...never though about animating a desk fan.  The "ordinary" made extraordinary is exceptional in representing reality in model form.

Actually, @VonRyan planted the seed--after I finished animating two box fans for a hardware store window display, he suggested I make a desk fan that oscillates. But he was being facetious, not expecting me to actually do it. I immediately began sketching a mechanism on the back of an envelope, which is not far from what I actually built. (And it's a virtual clone of one I built to make a windmill spin and oscillate back in the late '90s.)

Can't wait to see it oscillating!

Well, you're in luck, because I just completed the drive system, so now it runs all on its own.

When it's installed (most likely in the Foxx and Vollmer law offices), it'll be accompanied by a green banker's desk lamp... something I've wanted to model for a while, which will help illuminate the fan.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2020, 05:20:07 PM by DKS »

altohorn25

• Crew
  • Respect: +3315
    • Mini Mod u Trak
« Reply #40 on: May 09, 2020, 05:33:28 PM »
+10
I got the red paint down on the other three Green Bay and Western FA1's this afternoon.  I'll let them dry overnight and put the black and grey down tomorrow.

Nate Pierce
Modutrak - Wisconsin Division
www.modutrak.com

mu26aeh

• Crew
  • Respect: +3084
« Reply #41 on: May 09, 2020, 09:04:26 PM »
+7
I planted some trees along the backdrop of Center St yard and staged D795 making a pull.  Need to get better at photo taking

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +1813
« Reply #42 on: May 09, 2020, 09:04:41 PM »
+7
Outstanding work!  Well, I finally have something to contribute... a bush:  :P

I've decided I can't put scenery off any longer, so it's time to figure out some techniques on a little test patch.  This is just a wire armature form with a bit of blended ground foam.  The trick was to keep it from looking like a puff ball, and I think I have a passable version that I can make in a few minutes.  Good thing too, since I'll need a few more for the Mojave scene:

:facepalm:

jpec

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Perception and reality engage in a daily civil war
  • Respect: +171
« Reply #43 on: May 09, 2020, 09:06:40 PM »
Is that a Gauge 1 dog?  :)

It is the GHQ shell.  Or at least, this is what came in the box straight from GHQ.  The instruction sheet still call everything metal cast, but I believe they did a second run in resin. 

Second project from me this week.  A massive bridge mockup!  Check out the details over in the Free-moNebraska thread.

A 400 foot span from a nearly 1700 foot bridge.  I roughed out the uprights and did a quick 3D print.  2 and a half feet long, this span is going to look awesome!

https://i.imgur.com/1aLPvrn.jpg

And that's less than 1/3rd th the whole bridge!  Add in 7 more spans and.... well...  here's a dog for scale!

https://i.imgur.com/2jdawUD.jpg
"trees are non-judgmental, and they won't abuse or betray you."- DKS

carlso

• Crew
  • Respect: +488
« Reply #44 on: May 09, 2020, 09:09:50 PM »
+5
I want one of these..........................................

So, I am making one. My KEY, made by Nakimura, that I have applied black, light grey and next will be dark grey stripe, decals and then sealer. I have smoke lifters for it........

It already has an ESU 73100 and speaker mounted to tender chassis.

Stay well,
Carl
Carl Sowell
El Paso, Texas