Author Topic: What would keep you from building a TTRAK module?  (Read 8634 times)

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +7755
    • Conrail 1285
Re: What would keep you from building a TTRAK module?
« Reply #165 on: December 26, 2023, 11:02:17 PM »
Agreed! I saw that Prince model in Altoona. I was really impressed!

The rest of the layout looks fantastic. I love what you're doing with it.

basementcalling

• Crew
  • Respect: +641
« Reply #166 on: February 12, 2024, 02:43:29 PM »
What's the largest practical limit for size of a TTrak corner module that could take advantage of larger radius Kato curves, or even use flex track curved between UniTrak end pieces?

What are the Ttrak experts thoughts?
Peter Pfotenhauer

arbomambo

• Crew
  • Respect: +928
« Reply #167 on: February 12, 2024, 03:49:41 PM »
Many T-TRAKers (myself included) have built and are building corners, endcaps, and junctiions using Kato doubletrack superelevated large radius curves of 18 7/8" - 17 5/8.
These are accepted and encouraged and can be found in the T-TRAK tips and techniques section, under ‘publications’ at the NRail website www.nrail.org
"STILL Thrilled to be in N scale!"

Bruce M. Arbo
CATT- Coastal Alabama T-TRAK
https://nationalt-traklayout.com/

basementcalling

• Crew
  • Respect: +641
« Reply #168 on: February 12, 2024, 04:52:05 PM »
Many T-TRAKers (myself included) have built and are building corners, endcaps, and junctiions using Kato doubletrack superelevated large radius curves of 18 7/8" - 17 5/8.
These are accepted and encouraged and can be found in the T-TRAK tips and techniques section, under ‘publications’ at the NRail website www.nrail.org

Bruce, what does that put the dimensions of the corner module at? Also, what about larger radii approaching 21-24 inches using non Kato track, maybe in something like what @Ed Kapuscinski designed to be 3d printed to use non Kato rails on modules? Theoretically on a dedicated module set, a larger curve could be done across 2 straights and 1 curved module. I'm not sure how such a set would play with the need to keep everything on the table surface though.
Peter Pfotenhauer

VonRyan

• Crew
  • Running on fumes
  • Respect: +595
« Reply #169 on: February 12, 2024, 06:05:07 PM »
Honestly @Ed Kapuscinski the only thing keeping me from building any T-Trak modules is money (and probably the fact that I have too many ideas and too little time, combined with my poor track record for finishing projects)

I have two blank triple modules tucked away at home that I have yet to do anything with. My thought was originally to use them to build a long industrial complex with some private switching, making use of the tight radius stuff that Tomix makes, but that’d be just another project I’d be likely not to finish.

But, I did do the scenery on the two singles and the two end caps that were the start of New Jersey Southern’s T-Trak division.
Cody W Fisher  —  Wandering soul from a bygone era.
Tired.
Fighting to reclaim shreds of the past.

arbomambo

• Crew
  • Respect: +928
« Reply #170 on: February 12, 2024, 07:30:08 PM »
Bruce, what does that put the dimensions of the corner module at? Also, what about larger radii approaching 21-24 inches using non Kato track, maybe in something like what @Ed Kapuscinski designed to be 3d printed to use non Kato rails on modules? Theoretically on a dedicated module set, a larger curve could be done across 2 straights and 1 curved module. I'm not sure how such a set would play with the need to keep everything on the table surface though.

The geometry works well (due to the Kato unitrack measurements…
For example, if one wants to set up the old and boring oval-on-a-table layout (I have no clue why so many T-TRAKers and non T-TRAKers think this is ‘the way’), a large radius endcap (or two large radius corners) perfectly balance two older, small radius corners with a single between them on the opposite end of the oval…
Obviously, one must use two tables, arranged side-by-side to handle the size of the endcap or two corners.
We run 85’ body-mounted equipment with no worries.
"STILL Thrilled to be in N scale!"

Bruce M. Arbo
CATT- Coastal Alabama T-TRAK
https://nationalt-traklayout.com/