Author Topic: Let's see your Corona projects  (Read 54503 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

peteski

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 35311
  • Gender: Male
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +6656
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: Let's see your Corona projects
« Reply #210 on: April 13, 2020, 09:24:41 PM »
0
Holy cr*p!
Thank you for posting those photos!   Just as I was depressed watching American Pickers going into borderline holders / dealers houses/outbuildings Anne thinking I am close to that...even if I unpacked all my boxes and dumped all the plastic tubs I wouldn’t be as “bad” as that!  Still have to find homes for Uber excessive inventory but manageable.
Charlie Vlk

Yes, I'm also in awe of Cody's workshop!  I thought mine was a semi-controller chaos, but I see that compared to his, mine could be considered neat and organized!  Not that there is anything wrong with his.   :D
. . . 42 . . .

jargonlet

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 328
  • Respect: +206
Re: Let's see your Corona projects
« Reply #211 on: April 13, 2020, 09:27:41 PM »
0
Off topic but I wonder if you would know about restoring instruments? My Alto Sax from when I was a kid was in a flood. I didn’t realize it and I opened it up to play it as I do a couple of times a year and it is mouldy. I’d like to take it apart, clean it, and re-pad it. It’s probably more worthwhile just to buy a new one, but then it would t be mine. Perhaps you you PM me?

Craig.

I spent five years repairing musical instruments for a living. Theres a lot of variables to consider when deciding if its worth it to restore that horn. Shoot me a pm with questions and ill try to help you figure it out. By the way, I'm a sax player too. Mostly tenor and Bari but I do play alto occasionally. I mainly play pre 60s' horns.

MK

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 4358
  • Respect: +955
Re: Let's see your Corona projects
« Reply #212 on: April 13, 2020, 09:30:34 PM »
0
My off-and-on project has been the slow reclamation of my old “workbench” and surrounding area out in the studio.

These photos are after three days (approximately 6 total hours) of work.

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)



Here’s an overall view of the studio from the doorway:

(Attachment Link)

There's got to be a layout in the picture somewhere???  :D

VonRyan

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3108
  • Gender: Male
  • Yes, No, Maybe So
  • Respect: +691
Re: Let's see your Corona projects
« Reply #213 on: April 13, 2020, 09:50:23 PM »
0
There's got to be a layout in the picture somewhere???  :D

The ACP box in the foreground houses my 11x17” Nn3 layout, DKS’s Trenton Transportation Co. is out of frame to the left, and you can the two current sections of Cedar Creek Gravel Co. there up front.

There’s also some yummy botulism-infested 1970s MCIs (Meal, Combat, Individual) somewhere on that first table on the left.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2020, 11:44:05 PM by VonRyan »
Cody W Fisher  —  Wandering soul from a bygone era.

In Memoriam
Bill Kidd
Bill “Rep” Repholz
Erik Seidelmann

VonRyan

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3108
  • Gender: Male
  • Yes, No, Maybe So
  • Respect: +691
Re: Let's see your Corona projects
« Reply #214 on: April 13, 2020, 09:54:54 PM »
0
Yes, I'm also in awe of Cody's workshop!  I thought mine was a semi-controller chaos, but I see that compared to his, mine could be considered neat and organized!  Not that there is anything wrong with his.   :D

And just think, this is after I’ve been doing some cleaning. It looked worse.

Only time the studio looks halfway decent is when I’m off at a living history event and all my WWII headquarters stuff has gone with me.
Cody W Fisher  —  Wandering soul from a bygone era.

In Memoriam
Bill Kidd
Bill “Rep” Repholz
Erik Seidelmann

brill27mcb

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 236
  • Respect: +81
Re: Let's see your Corona projects
« Reply #215 on: April 13, 2020, 11:00:23 PM »
+1
There are just too many interesting things in the world...

Rich K.
Tomix / EasyTrolley Modelers' Website
www.trainweb.org/tomix
N-Gauge Model Trolleys and Their History
www.trainweb.org/n-trolleys

djconway

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 487
  • Respect: +76
Re: Let's see your Corona projects
« Reply #216 on: April 13, 2020, 11:43:37 PM »
0
VonRyan,

Thank you for posting the photos of your space. Mine was / is very much the same.  Started the cleanup effort last fall when I had the dumpster here for a full kitchen rebuild.

Kentuckian

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 951
  • Gender: Male
  • "This all started with Romans 10:9!" -Apologetix
  • Respect: +618
Re: Let's see your Corona projects
« Reply #217 on: April 14, 2020, 05:04:01 PM »
+2
I’ve been taking stock of tenders/steam projects. This tender goes here, this boiler might work there. I had so many notes to myself I decided to get started. First up was replacing the Like-like Berk too short tenders with the Bachmann Kanawha tender shell. Jeff Ashby had an article about this in the 2017 Ntrak Steam Annual. This photo shows the expert craftsmanship used in lengthening the Life-like tender frame: :facepalm:



Mated with the locomotive. Still a lot to do to convert the Berk to a Kanawha, but today is about tenders. I did two of these. Looks like I need to square up the body on the frame.




I took the two old Lifelike tenders to make one correct size for the Kanawha. This one is for a future project, something to pull the newly announced George Washington . Details to follow I hope
The leftover pieces are in the background.





Next up, probably Mikes.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 05:09:10 PM by Kentuckian »
Modeling the C&O in Kentucky.

“Nature does not know extinction; all it knows is transformation. ... Everything science has taught me-and continues to teach me-strengthens my belief in the continuity of our spiritual existence after death. Nothing disappears without a trace.” Wernher von Braun

samusi01

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 754
  • Respect: +980
Re: Let's see your Corona projects
« Reply #218 on: April 14, 2020, 05:55:44 PM »
0
Amongst other things, been working on artwork for a sheet of decals. Intention is to try and cram everything onto one sheet but I'm starting to question the wisdom of that idea... we'll see how it works out. The era (1970 or so) artwork looks like this at the moment (please ignore the to-do in the upper left):



I need to inventory how many of each I need, and then start the copy/paste work. The incomplete modern stuff looks like this at the moment:



Still need to add some background stuff and then rescale.

James Costello

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1956
  • Respect: +535
Re: Let's see your Corona projects
« Reply #219 on: April 14, 2020, 07:10:33 PM »
0
Swift set is looking good Sam  :D
James Costello
Espee into the 90's

nkalanaga

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 10593
  • Respect: +1771
Re: Let's see your Corona projects
« Reply #220 on: April 15, 2020, 12:42:55 AM »
0
Kentuckian:  "Craftsmanship" doesn't matter if it can't be seen, as long as everything is straight and structurally sound.

Samusi01:  Looks good.  If you decide to sell them, I'm willing to buy at least one set.  I'm doing my own, but I imagine your printing will probably look better, especially if you can print white.

Incidentally, the SeaLand scheme you show used metal panels for the side name and logo, so my containers have that printed on paper and glued on!  I've seen a few pictures showing one of the panels missing, not always the same one, but the "SEA", "logo", or "LAND".  Looks a little odd, but if one wants to do a specific container, it could be interesting.
N Kalanaga
Be well

pjm20

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1195
  • Gender: Male
  • Modeling the Bellefonte Central
  • Respect: +164
    • My Youtube Channel
Re: Let's see your Corona projects
« Reply #221 on: April 15, 2020, 01:54:17 PM »
0
Started working again on a HGLW 16mm diesel kit:



I'm getting so much done now  :D.
Peter
Modeling the Bellefonte Central Railroad circa 1953
PRRT&HS #8862
Live Steam Enthusiast

Check out my Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/PennsyModeler

RRRover

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 61
  • Respect: +18
Re: Let's see your Corona projects
« Reply #222 on: April 15, 2020, 02:04:08 PM »
0
Samusi01:  If you decide to sell the decals, I'm willing to buy a couple sets.

ns737

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 234
  • Respect: +38
Re: Let's see your Corona projects
« Reply #223 on: April 15, 2020, 05:17:39 PM »
0
Just replaced three drivers on a bachmann  2-8-0 connie. the holes for the pins where split. I have three donor mechs. and now the member from the big E n scale club has a good running engine. I also rebuilt one for my self. and it runs good.

parkrrrr

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 112
  • Respect: +7
Re: Let's see your Corona projects
« Reply #224 on: April 15, 2020, 05:48:06 PM »
0
Started working again on a HGLW 16mm diesel kit:



I'm getting so much done now  :D.

I've been looking for a decent thread gauge, and toying with just making my own, but since I don't have a lathe I couldn't figure out where I'd get all of the properly-sized rod stock for such a thing. And then I saw your photo and realized that I don't need rod stock, I just need to drill and tap TWO holes and put a screw in one. So, thanks for that. Now I have another new project.