Author Topic: Let's see your Corona projects  (Read 54510 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

johnb

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1786
  • Respect: +969
    • My blog
Re: Let's see your Corona projects
« Reply #240 on: April 17, 2020, 11:20:29 PM »
0
The Gandy Dancers from Laguna de los Borrachos worked on the Washington Blvd yard tonight and Rule G was quickly broken.



They got the job done quickly and got the two sets of crossovers connected. They plan to come back in the morning and work on laying track in the yard.


conrad

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 242
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +46
Re: Let's see your Corona projects
« Reply #241 on: April 18, 2020, 03:07:05 PM »
0
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
Headshunt off camera, to the right

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
Shunter: Conrail 6923 SD7, Road Engine: Conrail 4103 SD80MAC

Ten years ago I built my hollow core door layout using the Carolina Central plan in MR's Marty McGuirk's book "N Scale Model Railroading, Getting Started in the Hobby" (pub. 2000).  I used Kato Unitrack in lieu of Atlas flex but the track plan is exactly the same.

Jump ahead a decade: Watching train YouTube videos with a glass of wine in one hand and the Roku remote in the other, I stumbled on an old favorite: The Inglenook Shunting Puzzle.  Maybe it was the wine or the news that we New Yorkers face another month of isolation, but it dawned on me that i've seen the puzzle somewhere.  Ahah, it's on my own layout.  I could not believe it.  With just a relocation of the control tower to define the 5 car siding and the start of the hill cut defining the headshunt (3 cars plus shunter) I had the puzzle ready to go. 

Takes maybe an hour or less to solve the puzzle.  I then get to run the 5 car consist with a road engine.  Do a few laps and use the shunter to position the 5 cars on the sidings and it's another round of the puzzle.  I use a little program,  William Pearson's Selector, V1.1 to randomly chose the freight list.  Amazing, 10 years and I never saw it.

Conrad

Ps A little hair pulling but finally got the size of the photos correct (<5,000kb)

conrad

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 242
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +46
Re: Let's see your Corona projects
« Reply #242 on: April 18, 2020, 03:10:02 PM »
0
Nuts, photos screwed up.  Just read the text.

Need another glass of wine

Conrad

peteski

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 35311
  • Gender: Male
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +6656
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: Let's see your Corona projects
« Reply #243 on: April 18, 2020, 03:54:56 PM »
0
Nuts, photos screwed up.  Just read the text.

Need another glass of wine

Conrad

Conrad, one photo did show up and looks good!
5MB (5000k) or larger size photos are HUGE!
You shold be able to change settigns on your camera or phone to take smaller photso by default.  That way you wouldn't have to worry about resizing and uploading them here.
. . . 42 . . .

conrad

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 242
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +46
Re: Let's see your Corona projects
« Reply #244 on: April 18, 2020, 04:23:40 PM »
0
Peteski,

thanks, I'll work with the camera.  Just did a round of Inglenook Shunting.  Took about 40 minutes.

conrad

w neal

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1434
  • Respect: +483
Re: Let's see your Corona projects
« Reply #245 on: April 18, 2020, 08:13:19 PM »
0
How did you do the silver window frames on the front of the cab?

Bachmann gets the credit. Not me.
Buffering...

glakedylan

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1486
  • Gender: Male
  • Give Respect. Expect Respect.
  • Respect: +249
    • Justice Kindness Humbleness —Micah 6.8
Re: Let's see your Corona projects
« Reply #246 on: April 18, 2020, 09:15:18 PM »
0
both my L1 and GP3X v3.0 are on hold
ordered paint and decals almost 2 weeks ago
decals have arrived but paint has not
so i am stuck in primer mode until the shipping
gets figured out


be well. take care.


sincerely
Gary
« Last Edit: April 18, 2020, 10:07:41 PM by glakedylan »
PRRT&HS #9304 | PHILLY CHAPTER #2384

johnb

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1786
  • Respect: +969
    • My blog
Re: Let's see your Corona projects
« Reply #247 on: April 18, 2020, 09:29:33 PM »
0
I realized that I need to relocate the arrival track and drill track on the other side of that crossover...too close together.



I am going to place the engine house where the Dremel is and I am thinking about putting my freight station between a spur and the drill track. (Where the Atlas station is sitting)

diezmon

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1162
  • Gender: Male
  • Do they speak English in "What"?
  • Respect: +264
Re: Let's see your Corona projects
« Reply #248 on: April 18, 2020, 11:00:00 PM »
+1
Still getting a corner of the shop ready.  I should probably come up with a trackplan   :D

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]


SkipGear

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2431
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +647
Re: Let's see your Corona projects
« Reply #249 on: April 19, 2020, 01:25:22 AM »
+2
I finally have what I can truly call a Corona Project....I bit the bullet and ordered a Photon S so I started playing around with TinkerCad just to get a feel for things and have a file to play with when it gets here.

I've been trying for years to make a B&O Cincinnatian. I have the loco about 75% complete but stalled on the cars. They have full width diaphragms and I realized that I wouldn't be able to replicate them accurately enough making them one at a time. They will act as the couplers for the cars which will be magnetically connected. Now I will have something that will allow me to do that. Here is some tinkering with the basic shape, no real measurements other than the major dimensions, just drew it so it looked right for now. There are very few good pictures of them anyhow.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
Tony Hines

diezmon

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1162
  • Gender: Male
  • Do they speak English in "What"?
  • Respect: +264
Re: Let's see your Corona projects
« Reply #250 on: April 19, 2020, 01:54:11 PM »
0
I finally have what I can truly call a Corona Project....I bit the bullet and ordered a Photon S so I started playing around with TinkerCad just to get a feel for things and have a file to play with when it gets here.


Let me know what you think of TinkerCad.  I'm at the same point.  which program to start with.  Seems like countless opinions on with is the best to start with!

wcfn100

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 8947
  • Respect: +1383
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
Re: Let's see your Corona projects
« Reply #251 on: April 19, 2020, 04:16:24 PM »
0
My project has been to organize all my projects.  I think I can narrow it down to 10-15 I can keep around the work desk.  At some point I'll have to get Photon back up and running to finish a few of them.

Jason

SkipGear

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2431
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +647
Re: Let's see your Corona projects
« Reply #252 on: April 19, 2020, 05:32:10 PM »
+1
Let me know what you think of TinkerCad.  I'm at the same point.  which program to start with.  Seems like countless opinions on with is the best to start with!

So far, so good. It works the way I think. Precise measuring will take some practice but the idea of using one shape to cut out another shape is the way I have used Corel Draw for a long time so it comes fairly naturally. That drawing took me about an hour to draw after going through the tutorial. If I can find a way to draw a 2d version in corel then trace or convert it, I would be more comfortable but it's all a learning process right now.
Tony Hines

peteski

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 35311
  • Gender: Male
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +6656
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: Let's see your Corona projects
« Reply #253 on: April 19, 2020, 05:40:18 PM »
+1
So far, so good. It works the way I think. Precise measuring will take some practice but the idea of using one shape to cut out another shape is the way I have used Corel Draw for a long time so it comes fairly naturally. That drawing took me about an hour to draw after going through the tutorial. If I can find a way to draw a 2d version in corel then trace or convert it, I would be more comfortable but it's all a learning process right now.

Corel Draw uses vectors and is accurate. It can-also export in CAD formats.  If that program can import drawings, then you should be all set.
. . . 42 . . .

SkipGear

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2431
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +647
Re: Let's see your Corona projects
« Reply #254 on: April 19, 2020, 05:50:28 PM »
0
Corel Draw uses vectors and is accurate. It can-also export in CAD formats.  If that program can import drawings, then you should be all set.

Unfortunately, the ancient version of Corel Draw I am using does not export to any cad file types.
Tony Hines