Author Topic: ScaleTrains Dash 9 - next run - 50% off  (Read 13047 times)

Wolf N Works

• Crew
  • Respect: +64
Re: ScaleTrains Dash 9 - next run - 50% off
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2019, 11:44:12 AM »
+1
Going with #2
Yes see through would be awesome but the loss of pulling power would not be the best trade off.
I believe your model would still be great even if it did not have the see through.

ednadolski

• Crew
  • Respect: +1665
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2019, 12:23:59 PM »
+1
I believe your model would still be great even if it did not have the see through.

+1

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4530
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2019, 12:31:23 PM »
+2
I would say that most modelers expect that N scale has some inherent limitations, so #2 would be acceptable.

However, there could also be ways to have our cakes and eat it too.  For example several Kato models use trucks with very low-profile gear towers. The NW2, the RDC, and few other recent diesel locos among  them. That kind of design would lend itself to having (mostly) see-through grilles in the tunnel motors.  Use that design and then just have slot in the size of the grilles in the end of the chassis.

Then there is a brass (Overland) AMD-103 with somewhat see-through low grilles made possible by unusual thin-cross-section gear tower.

You can see some daylight through those low grilles (the photo doesn't capture it well.

Here is the mechanism with skinny gear towers. Unfortunately to the extra spur gears spinning at motor shaft speed, this design has a whine while running.

But there are some possibilities.
. . . 42 . . .

samusi01

• Crew
  • Respect: +428
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2019, 12:57:18 PM »
+1
Being able to have our cake and eat it too (like the HO crowd) would be nice but I'm in the #2 camp as well.

Sam

GhengisKong

• Crew
  • Respect: +84
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2019, 01:08:22 PM »
I would say that most modelers expect that N scale has some inherent limitations, so #2 would be acceptable.

However, there could also be ways to have our cakes and eat it too.  For example several Kato models use trucks with very low-profile gear towers. The NW2, the RDC, and few other recent diesel locos among  them. That kind of design would lend itself to having (mostly) see-through grilles in the tunnel motors.  Use that design and then just have slot in the size of the grilles in the end of the chassis.

Then there is a brass (Overland) AMD-103 with somewhat see-through low grilles made possible by unusual thin-cross-section gear tower.

You can see some daylight through those low grilles (the photo doesn't capture it well.

Here is the mechanism with skinny gear towers. Unfortunately to the extra spur gears spinning at motor shaft speed, this design has a whine while running.

But there are some possibilities.

I thought the exact same thing about having a small recess machined in the back of the chassis while still retaining a powered rear truck. It wouldn't have to be deep. Maybe paint the recess with that "vantablack" to give an even more illusion of depth.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4530
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2019, 01:29:23 PM »
I thought the exact same thing about having a small recess machined in the back of the chassis while still retaining a powered rear truck. It wouldn't have to be deep. Maybe paint the recess with that "vantablack" to give an even more illusion of depth.

Here are some examples  of the Kato low-profile gear tower. Scale Trans could imitate that design.  :D

. . . 42 . . .

jagged ben

• Crew
  • Respect: +408
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2019, 01:35:24 PM »
+1
I had a thought one time that Tunnel motors could be done with some mirrored angled surfaces and a low-profile gear tower like Pete is showing.  In other words, bounce the image up and over the gear tower.  It doesn't have to be 100 perfect, but being able to see a changing image through the grills would go a long way.

Bottom line:
I would settle for #2.
I would also love a design that let through some daylight even if it weren't perfect.  Either partially obscured by drive train or with some kind of distorted image from mirrors would still be great.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2019, 01:37:52 PM by jagged ben »

Englewood

• Crew
  • Respect: +260
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2019, 05:28:52 PM »
+1
#2 for me. Unless your models are at eye level, I don't think that most people would notice that you can't look through the radiator grills.

EspeeGoldenState

• Crew
  • Respect: +106
    • Modern Southern Pacific
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2019, 09:46:25 PM »
+1
(1) A completely see-through radiator section with nothing visible inside. 
(2) See-through etched metal radiator grilles with the interior weight painted black to give the illusion of depth and maximize pulling power.

ScaleTrains.com, Inc.

No different than some SD70ACe or GP15s, but I would go for #2 all day.

@scaletrains Maybe you should create a poll on Facebook or somewhere asking.

Chris
Attempting to model a modern Southern Pacific based in 2015/2016...

Steveruger45

• Crew
  • Respect: +524
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2019, 07:13:13 PM »
+1
#2 for me too.
I have a couple of SF dash 9’s rivet counter on preorder and eagerly awaiting same.
That was because I was so very impressed with the C39-8 I got.

Is there a chance of some SP sd70 flat rads in the near future?
« Last Edit: July 02, 2019, 07:39:37 PM by Steveruger45 »
Steve

martin station

• Crew
  • Respect: +13
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2019, 09:05:40 PM »
+2

I agree #2. A Tunnel Motor would be fantastic!
  Ralph

kiwi_bnsf

• Crew
  • Respect: +226
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2019, 01:26:53 AM »
+2
Another vote for Tunnel Motor option 2 here!

I'm an operator, and I don't think the additional complexity or loss of weight is worth it to achieve a completely see-through option.

Even when observing prototype Tunnel Motors, you can only see right through them at specific angles close to side on. Once the loco is oblique, the grilles look opaque. Hinting at depth with etched grilles seems a great compromise for an N scale model.

I'd be in for at least ten Tunnel Motors if Scale Trains make them as Rivet Counter models with ditch lights.

I know people will say that this is unnecessary duplication in N, but Intermountain have not shipped Tunnel motors for a very long time (2011), and the last batches had major issues with warped shells. Not to mention the amount of work it takes to get the Intermountain chassis functioning properly (I've lost countless hours to evil HT-C trucks, bent metal frame halves, slipping universal ball joints, and many other annoyances).

Fingers crossed Scale Trains makes these!
--
Tim Benson

Modelling Tehachapi East Slope in N scale circa 1999

SD452XR

• Crew
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2019, 07:47:09 AM »
+1
Number 2 as well. Hope they do the SD40-2 in N scale someday.

Spades

• Crew
  • Respect: +152
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2019, 11:05:10 AM »
Wolf N Works: thank you for your confidence our ability to create top-shelf locomotive and your willingness to spend your hard earned $$$ on our models (we're happy to help!:D).

As you know, the signature feature for a "Tunnel Motor" are the see-through radiator grilles with nothing visible inside.  Creating a drivetrain so the locomotive would be all-wheel drive and all-wheel electrical pick-up in N Scale would be an engineering miracle (even more than the HO was).  If this is even possible, a large amount of weight would be lost which would sacrifice pulling power greatly.  A second option would be to power the front truck only which also compromised pulling power.

Which would you prefer?
(1) A completely see-through radiator section with nothing visible inside. 
(2) See-through etched metal radiator grilles with the interior weight painted black to give the illusion of depth and maximize pulling power.

# 2

The IMR tunnel motors have a silver tape material behind the grills.  It was the best feature of the units.  While grateful IMR released the SD40/45T-2s  they require a lot of work.  I add a sill, replace everything cab step boxes forward.  The greatest sin the SP light package is poorly rendered. they have to be replaced too.

Edit.  Shane, I have purchased two Rivet Counter N Scale GE Tier 4 GEVo ET44, so I know they will be excellent.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 07:40:23 PM by Spades »

basementcalling

• Crew
  • Respect: +647
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2019, 03:49:04 PM »
Get everything else right and people will buy Tunnel Motors with either grill style. As said, they are only see through from the right angle. Unless your layout is eye level, I doubt you see through the grills often. Definitely not on TTRAK or NTRAK layouts with the standing helicopter view of things.

Peter Pfotenhauer