Author Topic: ScaleTrains Dash 9 - next run  (Read 2533 times)

wes_sutton

• Crew
  • Respect: +114
    • http://www.users.bigpond.com/grms
Re: ScaleTrains Dash 9 - next run
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2019, 06:33:35 PM »
Operator series models are "one size fits all".  As the product page states, "Each roadname shares a common cab and long hood configuration to help maintain a starting price of just $99."

If you prefer railroad, road number, and era-specific details, then our Rivet Counter line is built for you.  We plan to offer the unique "pork chop"/teardrop and 4-window Canadian cabs on a future production run.

Shane

Shane Wilson
President
ScaleTrains.com, Inc.

Sadly indicative of the times we live in that you even have to take time out to explain it  :(

jpwisc

• Crew
  • Respect: +698
    • Skally Line Blog
« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2019, 10:16:30 PM »
+1
Meh... skip the N Scale tunnel motors for now and do an AC4400 first. SP and UP. Maybe a side of BNSF AC44C4Ms and NS AC44C6Ms. That shouldn’t take too much work after the -9s.
Karl
CEO of the Skally Line, an Eastern MN Shortline.

samusi01

• Crew
  • Respect: +15
« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2019, 12:14:31 AM »
+1
do an AC4400 first. SP and UP.

I’d even be willing to operate a few patched SP units...

Englewood

• Crew
  • Respect: +66
« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2019, 12:53:45 AM »
I would love some SP AC4400s. The last locomotive I "need".
Patched units are banned on my layout, though. Why would anybody do that to such a beautiful paint scheme?

James Costello

• Crew
  • Respect: +166
« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2019, 01:10:20 AM »
+2
I spoke with Shane at NTS about the N Scale Espee modeller’s plight between the IMRC tunnel motor and Kato’s inability to even give us a stand in AC4400CW. He listened and was interested. All we ca. Do is keep on suggesting them.

Interestingly he said their most requested model in N is still the SD40-2.
James Costello
Espee into the 90's

Spades

• Crew
  • Respect: +39
« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2019, 01:50:49 AM »
I spoke with Shane at NTS about the N Scale Espee modeller’s plight between the IMRC tunnel motor and Kato’s inability to even give us a stand in AC4400CW. He listened and was interested. All we ca. Do is keep on suggesting them.

Interestingly he said their most requested model in N is still the SD40T-2.

James, I think you forgot a letter.

James Costello

• Crew
  • Respect: +166
« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2019, 02:40:37 AM »
James, I think you forgot a letter.

:D I essentially told Shane the same thing  :D
James Costello
Espee into the 90's

jereising

• Crew
  • Respect: +381
    • The Oakville Sub
« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2019, 10:01:22 AM »
Unfortunately - and much like the Atlas Dash 8 40 Cs - by the time they decide a great 40-2 would be a good idea, it will have passed out of the modern modeler's time line.  With the exception of the SD40N at UP (they still have around a thousand of 'em) they are rapidly disappearing from our main lines.  And there are a LOT of modern era N scalers.
Jim Reising
Visit The Oakville Sub - A Different Tehachapi - at:
http://theoakvillesub.itgo.com/
And on Trainboard:
http://www.trainboard.com/grapevine/showthread.php?t=99466

Jbub

• Crew
  • HP 9999
  • Respect: +214
« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2019, 10:21:56 AM »
Unfortunately - and much like the Atlas Dash 8 40 Cs - by the time they decide a great 40-2 would be a good idea, it will have passed out of the modern modeler's time line.  With the exception of the SD40N at UP (they still have around a thousand of 'em) they are rapidly disappearing from our main lines.  And there are a LOT of modern era N scalers.
My guess is N's and -3's will be around for a bit. There was a CSX SD40-3 going up grade through Echo canyon (the route the Big Boy took in May) yesterday.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2019, 03:15:20 PM by Jbub »
"Noooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!"

Darth Vader

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +1069
« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2019, 10:47:44 AM »
... And there are a LOT of modern era N scalers.

Well... depends on your definition of "a lot". "The survey says" <20%. At least here on TRW. You might recall: https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=46332.msg605434#msg605434. There were ~100 responses, so it's statistically significant enough, versus, say, 5 responses with one modeling "modern".

I'm starting to think some of it is a chicken-or-egg situation. The manufacturers keep pumping out modern prototypes, so that's what's available with modern tooling and the latest demand trend, sound. Model earlier periods, and you're dealing mostly with the compromises of old tooling, or in the case of B'mann's more recent 2nd generation diesel releases, tooling where attention to accuracy and/or proportions is a big "...meh...". So if you want to have higher-quality modeling with RTR, you're sort of prodded into modern purely out of better product availability.
...mike

http://www.gibboncozadandwestern.com

We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents. We just don't tell anybody. -Bob Ross