Author Topic: ScaleTrains Dash 9 - next run  (Read 2422 times)

samusi01

• Crew
  • Respect: +15
ScaleTrains Dash 9 - next run
« on: June 28, 2019, 10:46:02 AM »
+2
ScaleTrains have announced the next run of their Dash 9 models, both Operator and Rivet Counter. Roads include SP, BNSF H3, NS, and CN.

https://www.scaletrains.com/pages/n-scale-ge-dash-9-44cw-diesel-locomotive

Would love to see some SP AC4400s from them.

Sam

EspeeGoldenState

• Crew
  • Respect: +38
    • Modern Southern Pacific
Re: ScaleTrains Dash 9 - next run
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2019, 01:36:33 PM »
And the N scalers get SP Dash 9s before the HO crowd! I about had a heart attack!

These things ran in trios when I usually caught them on the Golden State Route. I don't think I can afford all 6, but definitely in for 3.

Chris
Attempting to model the SP in 2015...

ljudice

• Crew
  • Respect: +132
    • NS/CR Camp Car Models
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2019, 02:58:41 PM »
+1
Dashed frame stripe NS Dash-9's!!!    Yeah!

samusi01

• Crew
  • Respect: +15
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2019, 03:55:24 PM »
Chris,

The road numbers for the Operator versions are different from the Rivet Counter versions... so a total of nine individual SP road numbers. As I'm not sure what differences exist between the operator version and the SP prototypes, I'm holding off on them for the moment.

Sam

EspeeGoldenState

• Crew
  • Respect: +38
    • Modern Southern Pacific
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2019, 06:55:05 PM »
Chris,

The road numbers for the Operator versions are different from the Rivet Counter versions... so a total of nine individual SP road numbers. As I'm not sure what differences exist between the operator version and the SP prototypes, I'm holding off on them for the moment.

Sam

That is true, 9 total. Rivet Counters have all the details and underframe wiring. Whereas Operator shares the same chassis but without all the frills. It’s like comparing an Athearn Genesis to a Ready To Roll.

I would almost compare the Operator to what Kato is basically.

Chris
Attempting to model the SP in 2015...

ednadolski

• Crew
  • Respect: +389
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2019, 07:45:50 PM »
I would almost compare the Operator to what Kato is basically.

Do these perform like a Kato?

Ed

Englewood

• Crew
  • Respect: +64
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2019, 08:06:51 PM »
+1
When they get around to the SP AC4400CWs..... I'll take a dozen, please!
« Last Edit: June 28, 2019, 11:22:49 PM by Englewood »

Missaberoad

• Crew
  • Respect: +416
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2019, 08:43:58 PM »
The CN in the Operator line is a little disappointing. Was hoping to see the porkchop windows and lack of A/C units...
Ryan in Alberta

RSWController

• Crew
  • Respect: +20
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2019, 08:53:40 PM »
The CN in the Operator line is a little disappointing. Was hoping to see the porkchop windows and lack of A/C units...

I noticed the lack of the EMD-style windshield too. Maybe it’s just the artwork. I was really hopeful for the 4-window CN North America version. Would think/hope that’s on the way as a “River Counter”.

sundowner

• Crew
  • Respect: +46
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2019, 11:56:08 PM »
+1
Which ever side of the track I am on is the right side.

jagged ben

• Crew
  • Respect: +219
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2019, 10:22:37 PM »
The Operator shell should be accurate for SP on all the major details, AFAIK.  That is, correct for : # of cab side windows, cab profile, handrail width, ditchlight location, # of steps, headlight location, and DB vent # and location.   Will they be better than the Kato, which is also correct for all those things?   It's a matter of opinion.

The same cannot be said of any of the other Operator offerings this time around.

Still think I'm not pulling the trigger on these until I see a Rivet Counter BNSF H1. 
« Last Edit: June 29, 2019, 10:24:36 PM by jagged ben »

scaletrains

• Crew
  • Respect: +92
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2019, 12:05:00 AM »
+6
Operator series models are "one size fits all".  As the product page states, "Each roadname shares a common cab and long hood configuration to help maintain a starting price of just $99."

If you prefer railroad, road number, and era-specific details, then our Rivet Counter line is built for you.  We plan to offer the unique "pork chop"/teardrop and 4-window Canadian cabs on a future production run.

Shane

Shane Wilson
President
ScaleTrains.com, Inc.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2019, 08:04:52 AM by scaletrains »

Wolf N Works

• Crew
  • Respect: +12
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2019, 07:19:51 AM »
+1
Shane please please make your tunnel motors in N please we beg of you.........We are in need of you to take our hard earned $$$ lol

scaletrains

• Crew
  • Respect: +92
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2019, 08:04:23 AM »
+2
Shane please please make your tunnel motors in N please we beg of you.........We are in need of you to take our hard earned $$$ lol

Wolf N Works: thank you for your confidence our ability to create top-shelf locomotive and your willingness to spend your hard earned $$$ on our models (we're happy to help!:D).

As you know, the signature feature for a "Tunnel Motor" are the see-through radiator grilles with nothing visible inside.  Creating a drivetrain so the locomotive would be all-wheel drive and all-wheel electrical pick-up in N Scale would be an engineering miracle (even more than the HO was).  If this is even possible, a large amount of weight would be lost which would sacrifice pulling power greatly.  A second option would be to power the front truck only which also compromised pulling power.

Which would you prefer?
(1) A completely see-through radiator section with nothing visible inside. 
(2) See-through etched metal radiator grilles with the interior weight painted black to give the illusion of depth and maximize pulling power.

Thanks,

Shane

Shane Wilson
President
ScaleTrains.com, Inc.

carlso

• Crew
  • Respect: +179
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2019, 11:39:43 AM »
+2

#2 please