Author Topic: New LokSound V.5 replaces Select, old V.4  (Read 20913 times)

Steveruger45

• Crew
  • Respect: +524
Re: New LokSound V.5 replaces Select, old V.4
« Reply #75 on: June 29, 2019, 06:37:55 PM »
Yep, me too. It seems from the sketches in the 5 manual that flexi-connector is a little wider than the decoder. Maybe it is flexible enough to fold over some but would still add to the width.  I wonder if/when the 5 version of the 73100 comes out.
Steve

RBrodzinsky

• Crew
  • Respect: +425
« Reply #76 on: July 19, 2019, 11:37:11 AM »
I just got word that my V5 Micro DCC 8-in replacement for a dead Select is being shipped from ESU.   Should have some detailed pictures and measurements next week.  Waiting for a back order from Bryan, to do some customer installs that have been sitting for months.
Rick Brodzinsky
Chief Engineer - JACALAR Railroad
Silicon Valley FreeMo-N

RBrodzinsky

• Crew
« Reply #77 on: July 22, 2019, 04:04:48 PM »
I just received my first LokSound 5 DCC Micro decoder (58820, with 8 pin cable).  Here are some photos comparing the new decoder with a Select Micro, for comparison purposes.

Initial observations - the entire decoder is encapsulated in the standard ESU "heat shrink wrap", including the cable attachment via the NexT18 connector. This will need to be trimmed for attaching wires to the soldering pads  The decoder is a bit "taller", due to the height of the connector board/ribbon.  The ribbon cable, itself, is 7.5cms in length (approx the same as the wires on the Select)

Dimensions (with heat shrink)

mm                        5 DCC Micro            Select DCC Micro
Width                         10.65                      10.65
Length                        21.5 (without connector)
                              25.2                       25.6
Height (max)                   4.5                        4.0

Comparison photos

Full decoders with cables  (Upper is V5, lower Select)
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

close up of the connection side.  You can see the solder pads available on the top of the ribbon connector, all marked!

other side of decoder

side view, showing the added depth caused by connector

Rick Brodzinsky
Silicon Valley FreeMo-N

RBrodzinsky

• Crew
« Reply #78 on: July 22, 2019, 04:23:48 PM »
A couple of other quick comments:

As we saw in the original manual (new [June] version is available on ESU site), there are no pads available for Aux3/4, but those are logic level outputs only.  Aux 5 and 6 are available on the main decoder board (in my photos the 2 left pads at the lower right of the new decoder, below the connector board) and are powered.  The right hand pad is marked VCC so not exactly sure what it might be (since the common U+ are all well marked as such).  The three pads at the upper side, in my photo) are, left to right, U+, Aux7/PowerPackCharge, GND.

The mini-manual which comes in the box shows exactly where to trim the ribbon cable "for free wiring".  (One note, the colors on the min-manual for the wiring are a bit off: the "blue" for common looks purplish, while the "violet" for Aux2 is more maroon).

I won't get around to doing anything with the decoder for a few days, yet.
Rick Brodzinsky
Silicon Valley FreeMo-N

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4613
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #79 on: July 22, 2019, 04:45:22 PM »
Thanks Rick. I'm not thrilled with the added bulk and thickness of the cable adapter, but that is not unexpected.
. . . 42 . . .

jdcolombo

• Crew
  • Respect: +926
« Reply #80 on: July 22, 2019, 09:49:33 PM »
Thanks Rick. I'm not thrilled with the added bulk and thickness of the cable adapter, but that is not unexpected.

Nor am I.

I'm glad I finished converting my fleet with Select Micros (wired) rather than the new V5's. 

John C.

skytop35

• Crew
  • Respect: +731
    • Skytop Models
« Reply #81 on: July 22, 2019, 10:14:47 PM »
+2
Very disappointed indeed !
Bill Denton

Skytopmodels.com

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1569
« Reply #82 on: July 22, 2019, 10:47:35 PM »
I've no experience with either but it appears regarding thickness, Peter sort of robbed Paul based on the photos.
The left end of the V4 looks quite a bit thicker than the V5 and vice/verse on the right end.
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4613
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #83 on: July 23, 2019, 12:51:14 AM »
I've no experience with either but it appears regarding thickness, Peter sort of robbed Paul based on the photos.
The left end of the V4 looks quite a bit thicker than the V5 and vice/verse on the right end.

Looks like an optical illusion to me. The V4 PC board itself looks slightly thicker, but the components on both sides of the board (on the left edge) look identical.  The cable adapter sticks out quite a bit further on V5.
. . . 42 . . .

Jbub

• Crew
  • HP 9999
  • Respect: +542
« Reply #84 on: July 23, 2019, 01:21:07 AM »
Looks like an optical illusion to me. The V4 PC board itself looks slightly thicker, but the components on both sides of the board (on the left edge) look identical.  The cable adapter sticks out quite a bit further on V5.
Also the tweezers holding it up add to the illusion. Looking at Rick's numbers it appears the V5 is only .5 mm taller than the V4. 4.0mm to 4.5mm
"Noooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!"

Darth Vader

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +3160
    • Designer at Keystone Details
« Reply #85 on: July 23, 2019, 05:55:06 AM »
What does the connection look like with the cable removed? Could one manually hardwire to the pins or sockets?  height would be substantially reduced without that connector.

Also what is the max height with the connector removed or did you dimensions not include the connector?

Steveruger45

• Crew
  • Respect: +524
« Reply #86 on: July 23, 2019, 07:21:00 AM »
Oh crap.
I was hoping it would be possible to put a 5dcc right above the loco motor (split frame diesel) it being shorter than the select micro and V4 it could nestle between the motor cradle tabs with a little frame filing in that area.
But it will be too wide and too tall for the majority of locos to do that plus the flexi-connector adds a little to the length as well.
Still, it will fit any loco that you could get a select micro/V4 in at least.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 07:25:56 AM by Steveruger45 »
Steve

RBrodzinsky

• Crew
« Reply #87 on: July 23, 2019, 10:22:01 AM »
I didn’t take the connector out, not wanting to cut the wrap quite yet. There are plenty of photos of the Next18 connector available on the internet, and ESU does sell the decoder with no cables, just he open socket.

The pins are extremely fine, and very close together. If anything, what I think would be a great addition, is a true flex based connector. Mount a Next18 connector directly to a short piece of the flex, with all the pads, including Aux3/4, available on the upper side.  Based on what I can tell, that would cut the height difference in half.

The capacitors on the 5 are a bit smaller than on the 4/Select, and they are the components which extend upwards from the board the most. Also, the components on the connector side are all lower than on the similar side of the Select.

What would really be nice is a design with a narrower / longer board, and solder pads at one end. No need to put any 0402 LEDs on it, either. Maybe even get all components on one side.
Rick Brodzinsky
Silicon Valley FreeMo-N

RBrodzinsky

• Crew
« Reply #88 on: July 23, 2019, 10:25:34 AM »
I just measured the opposite side of the board from the connector: 3.7mm height. Doesn’t look like the Next18 socket extends any higher.
Rick Brodzinsky
Silicon Valley FreeMo-N

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1569
« Reply #89 on: July 23, 2019, 11:55:21 AM »
Also the tweezers holding it up add to the illusion. Looking at Rick's numbers it appears the V5 is only .5 mm taller than the V4. 4.0mm to 4.5mm

:facepalm:
Tweezers.  That's what that is.  Here I was thinking that was some thick wiring or something.
Never mind then, carry on.
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA