Author Topic: New LokSound V.5 replaces Select, old V.4  (Read 5828 times)

RBrodzinsky

• Crew
  • Respect: +231
Re: New LokSound V.5 replaces Select, old V.4
« Reply #60 on: May 22, 2019, 08:33:44 PM »
There is a new “sneaky” difference between the multi-protocol and DCC versions across the whole V5 line: the DCC line now uses the NMRA standard multiplier for the acceleration constant, while the MM line still uses the same multiplier as the V4/Select decoders use (and the LokPilots).  The practical implication is that if you used to set CV3 or CV4 to (for example) 60, you now use ~15 for the same behavior (on the DCC decoders).

Dave Heap was discussing this on the JMRI group, now that he has released definitions for the V5 line. This might drive many of us to madness when speed matching, until we get used to it.
Rick Brodzinsky
Chief Engineer - JACALAR Railroad
Silicon Valley FreeMo-N

milw12

• Crew
  • Respect: +166
« Reply #61 on: May 22, 2019, 08:39:35 PM »
Thanks much guys, that's exactly what I needed to know! And I agree with Streamlined Backshop, so I will wait for now.

Lucas

jdcolombo

• Crew
  • Respect: +569
« Reply #62 on: May 23, 2019, 09:58:33 AM »
There is a new “sneaky” difference between the multi-protocol and DCC versions across the whole V5 line: the DCC line now uses the NMRA standard multiplier for the acceleration constant, while the MM line still uses the same multiplier as the V4/Select decoders use (and the LokPilots).  The practical implication is that if you used to set CV3 or CV4 to (for example) 60, you now use ~15 for the same behavior (on the DCC decoders).

Dave Heap was discussing this on the JMRI group, now that he has released definitions for the V5 line. This might drive many of us to madness when speed matching, until we get used to it.

This is a bummer, but I'll probably get used to it.  One of the reasons I converted my entire fleet over to ESU (including LokPilot V4's for the non-sound units) was that I could use the same speed/momentum settings for speed matching.  Now I'll have to find the "new" settings that work with the older ones.  But I guess that once I figure out those settings, they become the standard for the V5 decoders, and I'll just have two templates - a Select/LokPilot V4 template, and a V5 template.

I just would like to get an actual V5 micro in my hands - I have a few GP7 chassis awaiting sound, and I'm waiting on the V5 since it is rumored to be a tiny bit narrower than the Select Micro wired version.

John C.

Jbub

• Crew
  • HP 9999
  • Respect: +207
« Reply #63 on: May 23, 2019, 12:16:20 PM »
I don't have very many locos yet with dcc sound installed. I'm seriously considering switching completely to v5 decoders.
"Noooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!"

Darth Vader

RBrodzinsky

• Crew
« Reply #64 on: May 23, 2019, 12:51:17 PM »
Some more details on the difference between "5 DCC" and "5" decoders  (ESU is not using "V5", just "5" in the name)
- "5 DCC" allows basic 3 point speed table, "5" doesn't.
- "5 DCC" uses NMRA-compliant 0.896 momentum multiplier in CV3 & 4, "5" uses 0.25 multiplier (preferred in Europe).
- "5 DCC" doesn't support AC analog mode.
Rick Brodzinsky
Silicon Valley FreeMo-N

jdcolombo

• Crew
  • Respect: +569
« Reply #65 on: May 23, 2019, 02:26:04 PM »
Some more details on the difference between "5 DCC" and "5" decoders  (ESU is not using "V5", just "5" in the name)
- "5 DCC" uses NMRA-compliant 0.896 momentum multiplier in CV3 & 4, "5" uses 0.25 multiplier (preferred in Europe).

Hmmm - the multi-protocol doesn't support the 3-point speed table???  That's weird.  They will probably support CV2 (start voltage) and CV5 (max voltage), so why cut out CV6?  Jeez, that seems chintzy.   As for analog mode - I always turned it off, so I won't miss it.  The momentum multiplier difference is what sucks.

John C.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +1897
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #66 on: May 23, 2019, 03:25:44 PM »

Do you mean analog DC mode?

I'm surprised and disappointed.  In my experience 3-point speed table is adequate for my needs and analog DC mode (using a 9V battery) s great for a quick verification of decoder's sanity. When a decoder is misbehaving, this gives me a clue of whether the hardware/firmware is ok.
--- Peteski de Snarkski

-"Look at me, I'm satirical!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm anal retentive!!!"
-"Look at me, I have the most posts evahhhh!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm snarky!!!!"
-"Look at me, I have OCD!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm a curmudgeon!!!!"

RBrodzinsky

• Crew
« Reply #67 on: May 23, 2019, 03:52:13 PM »
I copied exactly what Dave Heap posted in the LokSound yahoo group, didn't even notice the AC vs DC  :facepalm:  I assume he meant DC

It is an odd assortment of items, though
Rick Brodzinsky
Silicon Valley FreeMo-N

nightmare0331

• Crew
  • Respect: +56
« Reply #68 on: May 30, 2019, 10:58:45 AM »
+1
I spoke to Matt yesterday briefly.

The V5 micros are in production.  Apparently they're going to be air freighted in when complete.

Hopefully sooner than later because I have a couple hundred F units torn apart waiting on micro's and I'd like to get these things out of my life and on to the next headache.  :)

Enjoy!

Kelley.
www.dufordmodelworks.com

carlso

• Crew
  • Respect: +176
« Reply #69 on: May 30, 2019, 06:59:08 PM »

Not being selfish or anything but I hope your "next headache" is the GB 4141's.

Keep up the great work,
Carl
Carl Sowell
El Paso, Texas
Southern New Mexico N Scalers, Las Cruces, New Mexico

Iain

• Crew
  • Na sgrìobhaidh a Iain
  • Respect: +175
    • The Best Puppers
« Reply #70 on: May 30, 2019, 07:39:57 PM »
Are there going to be V5 LokPilots?  If they're smaller than the other options, that makes them attractive to me for some of my conversions.

I don't care about sound.
Thanks much,
Mairi Dulaney, RHCE
Member, Free Software Foundation and Norfolk Southern Historical Society

http://jdulaney.com

reinhardtjh

• Crew
  • Respect: +124
« Reply #71 on: June 11, 2019, 07:55:06 PM »
On the ESU CabControl and LokSound Installations Group Facebook page today:

Quote from: ESU LLC - LokSound
We've FINALLY just received the Next18 Micro decoders on Monday of this week. We are packaging now and will begin shipping to dealers in the next few days. We have plenty in stock! 8 pin Micros will arrive end of June per the factory.

I assume that's probably Matt Herman posting but it could be office help.
John H. Reinhardt
PRRT&HS #8909
C&O HS #11530
N-Trak #7566

nstars

• Crew
  • Respect: +29
« Reply #72 on: June 27, 2019, 11:25:13 PM »
Today I went at Des Plaines Hobbies where I had the opportunity to compare the size of the Loksound Micro V5 with the Loksound select and unfortunately the width of the Loksound Micro V5 is exactly the same as the Loksound Select. It would have been nice if the width was smaller.

Marc

tehachapifan

• Crew
  • Respect: +301
« Reply #73 on: June 28, 2019, 12:15:08 AM »
Well, that stinks! Why on earth would they have not made it any narrower? :|

Stand by for a possible stampede on any remaining Select Direct Micros! :scared:

Guess it's time to look to Digitrax again after those are gone....unless I'm missing other (narrow-hood) options. :?

...Oh, yeah....there's a couple Zimo boards that are narrow enough (I think) but sound files are lacking a bit.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2019, 12:48:23 AM by tehachapifan »
Russ

RBrodzinsky

• Crew
« Reply #74 on: June 28, 2019, 10:29:49 AM »
Doesn't really surprise me, since the actual manual showed the dimensions as being the same. It was only blurbs which indicated narrower.  I am more concerned as to how much room the flat cable/Next18 connector will take.
Rick Brodzinsky
Silicon Valley FreeMo-N