Author Topic: Kato Announces Next Passenger Train  (Read 4067 times)

JMaurer1

• Crew
  • Respect: +91
Kato Announces Next Passenger Train
« on: April 11, 2018, 10:52:31 AM »
...and the winner is:

N SCALE CITY OF LOS ANGELES PASSENGER TRAIN

http://www.hogtrainz.com/NKATOCITYOFLOSANGELES.htm

The "City of Los Angeles" was one of the Union Pacific's "City of" trains, and a direct competitor to trains such as the California Zephyr and Santa Fe Super Chief. With many railroads in the 1950's vying for the attention of the travelling public, the Union Pacific spend 10 million dollars in 1954 to upgrade its passenger services, promoting its commitment to high quality passenger service as well as creating one of the most iconic trains of the golden age of american railroading.

One of the most iconic images of this train were its dome cars ("Domeliners"), which, like the California Zephyr, granted its passengers with an unparalleled view of the countryside as the train would make its trips between Chicago and Los Angeles.
Passenger Car Features:

Unique prototype specific toolings for eight of the cars
    The observation car is depicted in its pre-modified condition to proudly display its unique, illuminated, signboard.
    Each car is equipped with low flange wheels, KATO magnetic knuckle couplers and shock absorber construction for smooth and reliable operation
    Interior of cars can be lighted with optional installation of #11-211/212 Version 2 Interior Light Kit with White LED (DCC Friendly)
Sacramento Valley NTrak

nstars

• Crew
  • Respect: +31
Re: Kato Announces Next Passenger Train
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2018, 10:58:27 AM »
Gee, what a surprise. Another western train.  :(

At least my wallet is safe.  :D

Marc

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +194
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2018, 11:35:05 AM »
More like Kato announces re-rerun.  :trollface:

Cool to see this run again, though I am curious if the trucks will be silver to match the 1960+ E units they also announced (trucks should also be silver on these).

Mark

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +292
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2018, 12:52:11 PM »
I was gonna say, didn't they run COLA a few years ago? Is there any new tooling in this run?

Maybe the next announcement will be a mid 1960s version of a combined Super Chief/ El Cap with the 11 bedroom sleepers and modified Budd 10-6 and some high level cars thrown in.

I suspect it won't be too long before we see an Armour yellow Hiawatha also.

But what will wake me up will be something we haven't seen before with new tooling.

Tom D.

"The difference between the difficult and the impossible is that doing the impossible is usually more fun." (my college design professor Russell Whaley)

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +2516
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2018, 03:26:06 PM »
Ho, hum - nothing new.   And I thought this was *REALLY* a new train (like NYC 20th Century Ltd. or something like that). If one visits the Products Announcement section (where this sort of info is usually posted), the re-release of COLA has been mentioned couple of times:

https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=44416.0

https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=44414.msg571241#msg571241

:trollface: :D
--- Peteski de Snarkski

-"Look at me, I'm satirical!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm anal retentive!!!"
-"Look at me, I have the most posts evahhhh!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm snarky!!!!"
-"Look at me, I have OCD!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm a curmudgeon!!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm not negative, just blunt and honest!!!"

Jbub

• Crew
  • HP 9999
  • Respect: +219
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2018, 07:08:48 PM »
Ho, hum - nothing new.   And I thought this was *REALLY* a new train (like NYC 20th Century Ltd. or something like that). If one visits the Products Announcement section (where this sort of info is usually posted), the re-release of COLA has been mentioned couple of times:

https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=44416.0

https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=44414.msg571241#msg571241

:trollface: :D
I would bet that any new passenger consist (not a re-run) won't be available until 2019. With the recent Kato polls I'm guessing with r&d time and actual production time pushes it to late 2019 with any announcement for the train later this year.
"Noooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!"

Darth Vader

CBQ Fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +122
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2018, 07:28:51 PM »
I would bet that any new passenger consist (not a re-run) won't be available until 2019. With the recent Kato polls I'm guessing with r&d time and actual production time pushes it to late 2019 with any announcement for the train later this year.

My guess is you see a UP scheme Hiawatha for year end, nice cash cow for year end and like you said the next new run in early/mid 2019.
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

Jbub

• Crew
  • HP 9999
  • Respect: +219
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2018, 08:03:30 PM »
My guess is you see a UP scheme Hiawatha for year end, nice cash cow for year end and like you said the next new run in early/mid 2019.
This gets me thinking, I didn't do much research so I can't be for sure on this. Didn't the COLA have a through sleeper on the 20th century from Chicago to NYC? If that is the case I would bet also the Kato is thinking of doing the later version of the train with the E8's and not they Dreyfuss Hudson.
"Noooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!"

Darth Vader

CBQ Fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +122
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2018, 08:17:09 PM »
This gets me thinking, I didn't do much research so I can't be for sure on this. Didn't the COLA have a through sleeper on the 20th century from Chicago to NYC? If that is the case I would bet also the Kato is thinking of doing the later version of the train with the E8's and not they Dreyfuss Hudson.

http://cs.trains.com/trn/f/111/t/73860.aspx

I did a little more research and found some more PRR cars painted in Union Pacific yellow. They were:

Buffalo Rapids

Bedford Inn

Coatesville Inn

Samuel Vaughan Merrick

Allegheny County

City Of St. Louis

Imperial Range

Cascade

It seems there might be more but there are few records available. Their UP service was only for a short while and they were repainted to Tuscan.

PRR seemed eager to paint cars since they even painted stainless steel Budd cars, which were built so painting was unnecessary.

Brian

Way of the Zephyr

Point353

• Crew
  • Respect: +369
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2018, 08:27:19 PM »
The through sleeper on the 20th Century Ltd. to/from Los Angeles went via the Super Chief.
The through sleeper on the COLA to/from New York and handled by the NYC went via the Wolverine or the Commodore Vanderbilt.

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +194
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2018, 06:34:15 AM »

w neal

• Crew
  • Respect: +143
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2018, 01:06:36 PM »
+1
Gee, what a surprise. Another western train.

They are the ones that sell.

"It was all yellow"
Buffering...

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +776
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2018, 02:07:19 PM »
This might help:

http://utahrails.net/pass/pass-non-up.php

Yes, what a fantastic site; I visit Don Strack's site often.
Otto K.

Nato

• Crew
  • Respect: +75
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2018, 02:09:07 PM »
                :|  Gee, what another non surprise, see the posts in Product discussion about this release. Yes Silver Trucks on the 1960's ere schemed diesels, and the passenger cars, but the dome observation cars were converted to mid train use by the time the locomotives had this scheme. Yes there were through coast to coast sleepers , but this service ended about the time some of the UP trains became Domeliners. Yes the Utah Rails information is worth the read. New York Central never painted their through sleepers into UP colors, but as listed above Pennsylvania Railroad did. Kato with their original smooth side UP cars did connecting roads sets, a Foob, wrong car type Pennsylvania railroad sleeper in UP colors was done. Nate Goodman (Nato).  :|

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +776
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2018, 02:25:16 PM »
The through sleeper on the 20th Century Ltd. to/from Los Angeles went via the Super Chief.
Not to get overly picky, but this is only true starting in 1954. Prior to that, the 20th Century sleeper went to LA on the Chief (as did the NYC and DC sleepers).
Otto K.