Author Topic: Kato Announces Next Passenger Train  (Read 7364 times)

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1953
Re: Kato Announces Next Passenger Train
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2018, 11:40:20 AM »
With all of Kato wonderful design and engineering, it's just too bad they can't seem to be able to color match their various UP releases. For those of us who mix and match our cars (and locomotives) to build prototype based trains, this is frustrating and I can't help but wonder what version of "Armour Yellow" we get this time...
Otto K.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4596
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2018, 12:10:57 PM »
With all of Kato wonderful design and engineering, it's just too bad they can't seem to be able to color match their various UP releases. For those of us who mix and match our cars (and locomotives) to build prototype based trains, this is frustrating and I can't help but wonder what version of "Armour Yellow" we get this time...
Otto K.

I'm not a UP modeler but but it is undeniable that UP modelers are frustrated with the multiple shades of yellow Kato uses for their models.  Not sure what Kato's reasoning is . . . I've heard several possible reasons, but that still doesn't make it any less frustrating to the modelers who want to mix/match cars from different runs or sets.
. . . 42 . . .

Mike Madonna

• Crew
  • Respect: +85
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2018, 08:53:10 PM »
If Kato was trying to be somewhat economical with development costs, they might choose both the 1940 edition of the 20th Century Ltd. and the post-1941 streamlined Lark. Both trains used 4-4-2, 10-5 and 13 double bedroom type sleepers. Also, for the Lark, the GS-4 loco and the triple-unit kitchen/diner/coffee shop car from the Daylight train could be recycled.

Good point regarding the Lark and "recycled" equipment. That said, the Daylight triple unit diner and the Lark "Club" were NOT exactly the same.....
Mike
SOUTHERN PACIFIC Coast Division 1953
Santa Margarita Sub

OldEastRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +284
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2018, 04:43:58 AM »
I'm not a UP modeler but but it is undeniable that UP modelers are frustrated with the multiple shades of yellow Kato uses for their models.  Not sure what Kato's reasoning is . . . I've heard several possible reasons, but that still doesn't make it any less frustrating to the modelers who want to mix/match cars from different runs or sets.

Even more fun when I kitbash a car or use brass sides to make a certain version ... then I wind up with another shade that's "not quite the same" yellow. But real cars faded differently over time so I don't see what the fuss is.

JMaurer1

• Crew
  • Respect: +291
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2018, 12:37:16 PM »
Since when does Kato actually use their own poll results?
Sacramento Valley NRail and NTrak
We're always looking for new members

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2018, 03:09:02 PM »
Since when does Kato actually use their own poll results?

You would have to ask them.  But since the poll was about some very specific models, one would hope that they had something in mind rather than just waste people's time and give them false hopes.  You think those polls have no particular purpose and Kato does this just to confuse people?
. . . 42 . . .

NorsemanJack

• Crew
  • Respect: +32
« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2018, 05:37:10 PM »
You would have to ask them.  But since the poll was about some very specific models, one would hope that they had something in mind rather than just waste people's time and give them false hopes.  You think those polls have no particular purpose and Kato does this just to confuse people?

I think they do it to obtain one more data point for items that might be on the fringe of their considerations.  They already know that there would be strong demand for an NCL or EB, so a poll isn't necessary.  Same with the Hiawatha.  We never saw a poll on that because it was a no brainer.  A Rock Island Rocket?  That might justify a poll to see if there is some hidden interest that hasn't come out in other venues.  That said, if they only get a couple hundred responses to a poll, they may just ignore the results as being statistically insignificant.

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2018, 06:02:32 PM »
I think they do it to obtain one more data point for items that might be on the fringe of their considerations. 

I absolutely agree. It is not the sole means for their choices of models.  It is just that the tone of JMaurer1's post seemed to imply that Kato totally discounts the info gathered in their polls.
. . . 42 . . .

nscalbitz

• Crew
  • Respect: +48
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2018, 09:22:13 PM »
Even more fun when I kitbash a car or use brass sides to make a certain version ... then I wind up with another shade that's "not quite the same" yellow. But real cars faded differently over time so I don't see what the fuss is.

Similarly, so many want shiny plastic models as others want to desecrate expensive models and 'real world' weather them.
Yes looking at consists, many times fade and dust is apparent in all but the newest, shiniest sets.
FWIW d

nscalbitz

• Crew
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2018, 09:30:10 PM »
I think they do it to obtain one more data point for items that might be on the fringe of their considerations.... That said, if they only get a couple hundred responses to a poll, they may just ignore the results as being statistically insignificant.

If only 1% of their total sales for sets responded, it will mena nothing.
Same level as 1% of defectives,  and 1% complaints, its an acceptable commercial factor. As a survey though, with estimated population of 'buyer/ modellers/ interesteds' it will be inconsequential, much like Israel asking if Palestinians should get their land back.
FWIW, d

JMaurer1

• Crew
  • Respect: +291
« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2018, 11:14:05 AM »
It is just that the tone of JMaurer1's post seemed to imply that Kato totally discounts the info gathered in their polls.

Sorry about my 'tone' but I have seen several polls by Kato and don't recall anything ever being made that was on them. Maybe I'm wrong or just forgot, but that's what my poor old memory is telling me. Personally, I would get either SP Lark trains...
Sacramento Valley NRail and NTrak
We're always looking for new members

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2018, 12:28:18 PM »
Sorry about my 'tone' but I have seen several polls by Kato and don't recall anything ever being made that was on them.

I think the Texas Rocket poll was first and that's not even two years ago.  Exactrail can't even get an N scale freight car out in two years with a running start.  :P

I still think we'll see the Rocket in the next couple years.

Jason

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2018, 04:17:29 PM »
Sorry about my 'tone' but I have seen several polls by Kato and don't recall anything ever being made that was on them. Maybe I'm wrong or just forgot, but that's what my poor old memory is telling me. Personally, I would get either SP Lark trains...

The polls are fairly recent development.  AFAIK, none of the models which were chosen in the polls were produced yet. So looking at it from that angle, you are correct. Maybe it is just me being overly optimistic (that polls matter).
. . . 42 . . .

OldEastRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +284
« Reply #43 on: April 21, 2018, 05:39:44 PM »
The polls are fairly recent development.  AFAIK, none of the models which were chosen in the polls were produced yet. So looking at it from that angle, you are correct. Maybe it is just me being overly optimistic (that polls matter).

My God, Peteski, you of all people should know Poles matter!!!  :trollface: (couldn't help punning it)

nscalbitz

• Crew
« Reply #44 on: April 21, 2018, 06:20:10 PM »
My God, Peteski, you of all people should know Poles matter!!!  :trollface: (couldn't help punning it)

Ham with that cheese spread...Sir?
But there's only so many positive Poles to go round all the NEGATIVE Poles happening___  :facepalm: