Author Topic: Weekend Update 9/1/13  (Read 22996 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Iain

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 4887
  • Gender: Female
  • Na sgrìobhaidh a Iain
  • Respect: +833
    • The Best Puppers
Re: Weekend Update 9/1/13
« Reply #45 on: September 02, 2013, 02:18:48 PM »
0
Sent a file off to Shapeways to see if it can be printed. Apparently I got it right this time because they notified me it made it through the automated check...

It's a refined version of a digital model I made for Train Simulator...

It's just the basic shape, kind of a proof of concept. Wasn't sure if I could add a lot of detail. Thought it might be good as the core of a more detailed model for making a mold.

I ordered the thing in the cheapest material they have...Black satin ceramic. Since it is a test I didn't want to spend a whole bunch. I'll let you know what Shapeways sends back.

Kleenex, please!

I note that it may be a good move to have the cab window holes already done.  Also, have you thought about powering the thing?  Don't repeat the mistakes of the brass one, it can't even move itself.
I like ducks



milw156

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 668
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +357
    • Modutrak
Re: Weekend Update 9/1/13
« Reply #46 on: September 02, 2013, 04:09:46 PM »
0
Ready for the paint shop:  a Rail Yard Models PRR G41a coil steel gondola.  This cars is a bit outside my era, but it is an interesting car and it is a really well done resin kit.  Too bad Rail Yard Models is not around any more.
Doug Nelson

IIRC, You may be happy to know these are on ESM's production horizon. They are a very distinctive car!
Rick

kelticsylk

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 781
  • Respect: 0
    • Milepost 15
Re: Weekend Update 9/1/13
« Reply #47 on: September 02, 2013, 09:57:50 PM »
0
Kleenex, please!

I note that it may be a good move to have the cab window holes already done.  Also, have you thought about powering the thing?  Don't repeat the mistakes of the brass one, it can't even move itself.

I'm still not sure how to make window openings and other details (though I'm beginning to learn). I sent the general shape to Shapeways to find out if it worked before I go any farther. When the product comes back I'll be able to see if I need to refine the model. Once I'm sure I have something to start with I'll add more detail.

The drive is based on the Bachmann DD40. I'll write up the general idea on my blog and post a link in the Layout Engineering section.

peteski

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 35287
  • Gender: Male
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +6648
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: Weekend Update 9/1/13
« Reply #48 on: September 02, 2013, 10:46:17 PM »
0
here's a new Shapeway's project of my own.  This time it's a Pete 387 tractor.  I ordered a pair a few days ago, and they are printing now.


HuskerN
www.nscaleaddiction.blogspot.com
www.shapeways.com/shops/NScaleAddict

Are all these models designed in SketchUp?  You are pretty darn talented!  What do you base the design on? Just photos, or do you have drawings of the 1:1 vehicles?
. . . 42 . . .

PGE-N°2

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 208
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: 0
Re: Weekend Update 9/1/13
« Reply #49 on: September 02, 2013, 11:53:19 PM »
0
The Skytops are coming, the Skytops are coming !  Due to popular demand, I have borrowed the Skytop masters from Jim Stillman of Nscaleskytops and will be making them available through my web site Skytopmodels.com .  First up will be the "Rapids" series car. Stay tuned as the master is currently in the RTV.  :D



Wow, that looks really clean. Is that actually one of the resin castings from Jim?
Director of Operations of the Kettle River Railway

See photos of the original owner's layout here:
https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/about-face/sets/72157603977732928/

It sounded like a good idea at the time... too bad the caboose wasn't in on the plan.

nkalanaga

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 10583
  • Respect: +1763
Re: Weekend Update 9/1/13
« Reply #50 on: September 03, 2013, 12:46:38 AM »
0
Jim:  Thank you!  Maybe someday they can collect the money to replace the hangers and frogs.  If not, it's nice to see that one of the big motors is still running.

C855B:  Have you been to Mason City, Iowa, to see their electric railway?  As far as I know it's the only electric freight common carrier left in the US, and all of their switching is done with poles.  I've seen the railroad, and motors, several times, but they've never been running when we went through.  As we were on our way to/from Washington state every time, all we had time for was a drive by.
N Kalanaga
Be well

One of One-Sixty

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1304
  • Respect: +3
Re: Weekend Update 9/1/13
« Reply #51 on: September 03, 2013, 03:29:40 AM »
0
here's a new Shapeway's project of my own.  This time it's a Pete 387 tractor.  I ordered a pair a few days ago, and they are printing now.





HuskerN
www.nscaleaddiction.blogspot.com
www.shapeways.com/shops/NScaleAddict

WOW, that is really nice, just took a look at your Shapeways store, and my wallet ran from me.

I am gonna have to readjust my budget now to allocate for more vehicles.  Any chance we might see some lowboys in the future?
“My deeds must be my life. When I am gone, they will speak for me.”- Stephen Girard

Modeling a modern Pennsylvania Railroad 1996-Present

Ike the BN Freak

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1639
  • Respect: +119
Re: Weekend Update 9/1/13
« Reply #52 on: September 03, 2013, 03:59:09 AM »
0
Ready for the paint shop:  a Rail Yard Models PRR G41a coil steel gondola.  This cars is a bit outside my era, but it is an interesting car and it is a really well done resin kit.  Too bad Rail Yard Models is not around any more.

Didn't know Rail Yard Models did N scale, I'd like to get an X-79 someday.  Remember them as a kid in Kellogg reporting marks out in Omaha.

skytop35

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 810
  • Respect: +908
Re: Weekend Update 9/1/13
« Reply #53 on: September 03, 2013, 08:27:40 AM »
0
Wow, that looks really clean. Is that actually one of the resin castings from Jim?

Yes, it's one of his early castings. It required a bit of work. I enlarged the solarium windows, added the weld seams on the car side and also the roof ribbing and details.

Jim rebuilt the master a few times and the latest one incorporates these changes as well. I will also be including a floor with cast on details when the shells are ready. The molds are done and I just need to pick up some resin today. Hopefully they will be available later this week.
Bill Denton

mcjaco

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1754
  • Respect: +147
Re: Weekend Update 9/1/13
« Reply #54 on: September 03, 2013, 09:31:01 AM »
0
Inspection of the house we put an offer in on, was Friday.  Layout area has already been figured out...now just have to arrange trackage rights with the Mrs. 

Of course, the Honey Do list is long so it'll be awhile anyway.
~ Matt

Modutrak.com

Philip H

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 9027
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +1796
    • Layout Progress Blog
Re: Weekend Update 9/1/13
« Reply #55 on: September 03, 2013, 09:53:29 AM »
0
Inspection of the house we put an offer in on, was Friday.  Layout area has already been figured out...now just have to arrange trackage rights with the Mrs. 

Of course, the Honey Do list is long so it'll be awhile anyway.

Congrats!  We expect pics, measurements, and a full electrical schematic of the area by COB today.   :facepalm:
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.


chicken45

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 4500
  • Gender: Male
  • Will rim for upvotes.
  • Respect: +1014
    • Facebook Profile
Re: Weekend Update 9/1/13
« Reply #56 on: September 03, 2013, 10:06:54 AM »
0
The paint shop worked overtime this weekend completing the PRR G41a.





Doug Nelson

Great gon! I wish I had one of those kits!
Josh Surkosky

Here's a Clerihew about Ed. K.

Ed Kapucinski
Every night, he plants a new tree.
But mention his law
and you've pulled your last straw!

Alternate version:
Ed Kapucinski
Every night, he plants a new tree.
He asks excitedly "Did you say Ménage à Trois?"
No, I said "Ed's Law."

VonRyan

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3108
  • Gender: Male
  • Yes, No, Maybe So
  • Respect: +691
Re: Weekend Update 9/1/13
« Reply #57 on: September 03, 2013, 04:34:15 PM »
0
Well, this isn't exactly a weekend project, but the itch to do it started Sunday...

In waiting to see if I can finally win an Atlas 0-4-0 my mind wandered back to my long buried N-4mm project, specifically trackwork.
My mind also went back to it because I re-watched my favorite train-related film: "Railway with a Heart of Gold"

So since I have no clue which route to take in terms of cobbling together an engine, let alone rolling stock, I decided to try my hand at my first ever attempt at hand laying track.

Here is the results mounted onto a small sample piece of Gatorfoam.

The photo is just a quick iPhone grab (now that I have one...).

What I used to keep the track in gauge as I soldered the rail to the ties was just a small piece of aluminum turned to 4mm diameter, and a pair of tweezers that has a positive grip.

The 'rail' is rectangular wire that works out to be code 25 and is the same wire that DKS has used in his past projects. The ties are "modern ties" from clover house cut to an approximate length by eye. The Talyllyn Railway uses second-hand standard-gauge ties sawn in half and since they are my inspiration, I'm trying to replicate their practices.

Sooner or later I'm going to decorate this little test-bed to look like the trackage in the start of the aforementioned film.

The paint used for the 'ground' color is just polyscale 'dirt'.

This will probably be the most headway I make on this project for awhile since hopefully the A5 will take priority quite soon.

In case anyone is wondering, the basis of my motive power is a Z-Scale Marklin V60, to be heavily modified into a two-axe wood-bodied tram based off of an LNER Y6, which coincidentally is the basis Rev. Awdry used for "Toby" in the Thomas series.



-Cody F.
Cody W Fisher  —  Wandering soul from a bygone era.

In Memoriam
Bill Kidd
Bill “Rep” Repholz
Erik Seidelmann

davefoxx

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 12341
  • Gender: Male
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +8578
Re: Weekend Update 9/1/13
« Reply #58 on: September 03, 2013, 04:54:29 PM »
0
Wowee.  That's little.  Don't forget to cut gaps in the plating on the ties, or you're looking at one big short when you hook up wires someday.   ;)

DFF

A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!
Still General Counsel to the Laurel Valley Ry.

pjm20

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1195
  • Gender: Male
  • Modeling the Bellefonte Central
  • Respect: +164
    • My Youtube Channel
Re: Weekend Update 9/1/13
« Reply #59 on: September 03, 2013, 05:06:45 PM »
0

The 'rail' is rectangular wire that works out to be code 25


Where did you snag this? On another note, I will be interest in your tram build, as I love Thomas since I was a kid. I have the Tomix models of course.
Peter
Modeling the Bellefonte Central Railroad circa 1953
PRRT&HS #8862
Live Steam Enthusiast

Check out my Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/PennsyModeler