Author Topic: Weekend Update 9/1/13  (Read 22998 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

VonRyan

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3108
  • Gender: Male
  • Yes, No, Maybe So
  • Respect: +691
Re: Weekend Update 9/1/13
« Reply #60 on: September 03, 2013, 05:14:24 PM »
0
Where did you snag this? On another note, I will be interest in your tram build, as I love Thomas since I was a kid. I have the Tomix models of course.

It was graciously given to me.
Without further permission, I shall not reveal my source out of respect.


-Cody F.
Cody W Fisher  —  Wandering soul from a bygone era.

In Memoriam
Bill Kidd
Bill “Rep” Repholz
Erik Seidelmann

John

  • Administrator
  • Crew
  • *****
  • Posts: 14003
  • Respect: +4179
Re: Weekend Update 9/1/13
« Reply #61 on: September 03, 2013, 08:27:01 PM »
0
It was graciously given to me.
Without further permission, I shall not reveal my source out of respect.


-Cody F.

Google is your friend :)

VonRyan

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3108
  • Gender: Male
  • Yes, No, Maybe So
  • Respect: +691
Re: Weekend Update 9/1/13
« Reply #62 on: September 03, 2013, 08:28:22 PM »
0
Google is your friend :)

Indeed. I'm sure the specs are floating around one of DKS's blogs.


-Cody F.
Cody W Fisher  —  Wandering soul from a bygone era.

In Memoriam
Bill Kidd
Bill “Rep” Repholz
Erik Seidelmann

avel

  • Guest
Re: Weekend Update 9/1/13
« Reply #63 on: September 03, 2013, 08:51:29 PM »
0
Republic Locomotive Works always has rectangular code 30 Nickel silver rail
https://www.republiclocomotiveworks.com/show_item.php?ID=1104

PGE-N°2

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 208
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: 0
Re: Weekend Update 9/1/13
« Reply #64 on: September 03, 2013, 09:06:31 PM »
0
Yes, it's one of his early castings. It required a bit of work. I enlarged the solarium windows, added the weld seams on the car side and also the roof ribbing and details.

Jim rebuilt the master a few times and the latest one incorporates these changes as well. I will also be including a floor with cast on details when the shells are ready. The molds are done and I just need to pick up some resin today. Hopefully they will be available later this week.

That's quite enticing. I like the changes. I have one of the older castings from Jim and it doesn't have the added details. I may have to consider adding another one.
Director of Operations of the Kettle River Railway

See photos of the original owner's layout here:
https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/about-face/sets/72157603977732928/

It sounded like a good idea at the time... too bad the caboose wasn't in on the plan.

M.C. Fujiwara

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1344
  • Respect: +84
    • Silicon Valley Free-moN
Re: Weekend Update 9/1/13
« Reply #65 on: September 03, 2013, 10:33:29 PM »
0
In case anyone is wondering, the basis of my motive power is a Z-Scale Marklin V60, to be heavily modified into a two-axe wood-bodied tram based off of an LNER Y6, which coincidentally is the basis Rev. Awdry used for "Toby" in the Thomas series.

Will be Fun with Flanges  :o

Do love Toby:



--my fave of the Sodor steamers, and the inspiration for my woodeN boxcab:



Looking forward to seeing how you welsh it all together.
Iechyd da!
M.C. Fujiwara

PGE-N°2

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 208
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: 0
Re: Weekend Update 9/1/13
« Reply #66 on: September 03, 2013, 11:28:31 PM »
0
Will be Fun with Flanges  :o

Do love Toby:



--my fave of the Sodor steamers, and the inspiration for my woodeN boxcab:



Looking forward to seeing how you welsh it all together.
Iechyd da!

That is incredible! I would love to have a Toby, too!
Director of Operations of the Kettle River Railway

See photos of the original owner's layout here:
https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/about-face/sets/72157603977732928/

It sounded like a good idea at the time... too bad the caboose wasn't in on the plan.

pjm20

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1195
  • Gender: Male
  • Modeling the Bellefonte Central
  • Respect: +164
    • My Youtube Channel
Re: Weekend Update 9/1/13
« Reply #67 on: September 04, 2013, 04:13:04 PM »
0
Indeed. I'm sure the specs are floating around one of DKS's blogs.


-Cody F.

If I remember correctly, DKS had it custom made, thus why I asked.
Peter
Modeling the Bellefonte Central Railroad circa 1953
PRRT&HS #8862
Live Steam Enthusiast

Check out my Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/PennsyModeler

VonRyan

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3108
  • Gender: Male
  • Yes, No, Maybe So
  • Respect: +691
Re: Weekend Update 9/1/13
« Reply #68 on: September 04, 2013, 04:27:13 PM »
0
Will be Fun with Flanges  :o

Do love Toby:



--my fave of the Sodor steamers, and the inspiration for my woodeN boxcab:



Looking forward to seeing how you welsh it all together.
Iechyd da!

I might have to trim the flanges a bit. As for rolling stock wheels... I don't have any real options...

If you did 4mm scale, you could easily get an LNER Y6. All we have in N is the oversized Tomy 'model'.

I plan on designing a small NG-like version, and then begging my way for someone to computerize it so that it can be 3D printed.



-Cody F.
Cody W Fisher  —  Wandering soul from a bygone era.

In Memoriam
Bill Kidd
Bill “Rep” Repholz
Erik Seidelmann

VonRyan

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3108
  • Gender: Male
  • Yes, No, Maybe So
  • Respect: +691
Re: Weekend Update 9/1/13
« Reply #69 on: September 04, 2013, 08:49:57 PM »
0
Been pulverizing a piece of roofing slate to make relatively 2mm Finescale sized slate waste.
I then put in on my piece of track to test how well it looks.
I think it is about the right size but I may want to sift it with something finer and create two grades for the actual ballast and larger pieces to go beside the track.
Again, these are some iPhone grabs.





-Cody F.
Cody W Fisher  —  Wandering soul from a bygone era.

In Memoriam
Bill Kidd
Bill “Rep” Repholz
Erik Seidelmann

basementcalling

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3922
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +1056
Re: Weekend Update 9/1/13
« Reply #70 on: September 04, 2013, 11:17:15 PM »
0
Not terribly pretty yet, but here is a UP SD70 hauling loaded wood chip hoppers towards the paper mill on my Idaho Belt layout that is obviously still under construction.



This train is on the passing siding at the first town out of the main yard, which alas, has no name yet.

More photos in my Layout Engineering Forum thread.
Peter Pfotenhauer

VonRyan

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3108
  • Gender: Male
  • Yes, No, Maybe So
  • Respect: +691
Re: Weekend Update 9/1/13
« Reply #71 on: September 05, 2013, 10:52:55 AM »
0
Not terribly pretty yet, but here is a UP SD70 hauling loaded wood chip hoppers towards the paper mill on my Idaho Belt layout that is obviously still under construction.



This train is on the passing siding at the first town out of the main yard, which alas, has no name yet.

More photos in my Layout Engineering Forum thread.

You might want to lower those woodchip loads. With woodchips, the loads don't usually peak over the top of the hopper much because the wind from the train being in motion would blow off the exposed woodchips.


-Cody F.
Cody W Fisher  —  Wandering soul from a bygone era.

In Memoriam
Bill Kidd
Bill “Rep” Repholz
Erik Seidelmann

basementcalling

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3922
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +1056
Re: Weekend Update 9/1/13
« Reply #72 on: September 05, 2013, 11:24:39 AM »
0
You might want to lower those woodchip loads. With woodchips, the loads don't usually peak over the top of the hopper much because the wind from the train being in motion would blow off the exposed woodchips.


-Cody F.

Good catch, Cody. They also are heavy enough that high up to make the cars a bit tippy. All those DI cars are on the list for BM couplers and lower trucks too. That train is heavy enough that 2 Kato units can't pull it up the grade, so the load castings probably need thinning down some too.
Peter Pfotenhauer

mmagliaro

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6494
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +2012
    • Maxcow Online
Re: Weekend Update 9/1/13
« Reply #73 on: September 05, 2013, 04:10:23 PM »
0
Been pulverizing a piece of roofing slate to make relatively 2mm Finescale sized slate waste.
I then put in on my piece of track to test how well it looks.
I think it is about the right size but I may want to sift it with something finer and create two grades for the actual ballast and larger pieces to go beside the track.
Again, these are some iPhone grabs.





-Cody F.

That looks really good!   

VonRyan

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3108
  • Gender: Male
  • Yes, No, Maybe So
  • Respect: +691
Re: Weekend Update 9/1/13
« Reply #74 on: September 05, 2013, 05:27:04 PM »
0
Thanks Max!
I'm wondering how gluing it down will effect the finer slate powder that has resulted from the pulverizing, which I did with the handle of a very large screwdriver.

Once it is all ballasted, it'll get some other scenic treatments for the moss and the grasses that somehow manage to grow out of the slate waste.



-Cody F.
Cody W Fisher  —  Wandering soul from a bygone era.

In Memoriam
Bill Kidd
Bill “Rep” Repholz
Erik Seidelmann