Author Topic: Weekend Update 9/1/13  (Read 23000 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

skytop35

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 810
  • Respect: +909
Re: Weekend Update 9/1/13
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2013, 04:19:41 PM »
0
The Skytops are coming, the Skytops are coming !  Due to popular demand, I have borrowed the Skytop masters from Jim Stillman of Nscaleskytops and will be making them available through my web site Skytopmodels.com .  First up will be the "Rapids" series car. Stay tuned as the master is currently in the RTV.  :D

Bill Denton

milw156

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 668
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +357
    • Modutrak
Re: Weekend Update 9/1/13
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2013, 04:38:58 PM »
0
Bill, you just made my day,week,month,year,etc. No more Kato foobie observation car on my Twin cities Hiawatha foobie! Round portals for everybody!!!
Rick :D :D :D

Puddington

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3874
  • Gender: Male
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +247
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
Re: Weekend Update 9/1/13
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2013, 04:46:58 PM »
0
That's really wonderful news Bill; I have a small supply of shells that I have hoarded since Jim discontinued those and the super dome.... Well done that man !
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

MichaelWinicki

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2096
  • Respect: +335
Re: Weekend Update 9/1/13
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2013, 05:31:12 PM »
0

chicken45

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 4500
  • Gender: Male
  • Will rim for upvotes.
  • Respect: +1014
    • Facebook Profile
Re: Weekend Update 9/1/13
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2013, 05:45:58 PM »
0




Still a little more work to do finish up. Thanks to some very helpful  :ashat:s, I was able to figure out the brake rigging. This model rides pretty low. I need to compare it to the prototype some more. Currently, it is so low that the ribs are touching the wheels. A good problem to have and an easy one to fix.
Not awful for my first one.
Josh Surkosky

Here's a Clerihew about Ed. K.

Ed Kapucinski
Every night, he plants a new tree.
But mention his law
and you've pulled your last straw!

Alternate version:
Ed Kapucinski
Every night, he plants a new tree.
He asks excitedly "Did you say Ménage à Trois?"
No, I said "Ed's Law."

Puddington

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3874
  • Gender: Male
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +247
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
Re: Weekend Update 9/1/13
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2013, 05:55:45 PM »
0
Josh: Handsome car - one question; the front truck seems to be riding "outside' the body line of the car (not to mention, "on" the sill plate) - is this just due to the car being "positioned" on the trucks ?

Nice work !

Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

mark dance

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1028
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +1280
    • The N Scale Columbia and Western
Re: Weekend Update 9/1/13
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2013, 06:27:23 PM »
0
Mark, what are you using to actuate the semaphore arms?
I have a scratch built GWR Home/Shunt signal that I would love to get into working order for my N-Trak module, even if the Dapol signals are much nicer looking.

-Cody F.

Hi Cody...0.003" dia. nitinol wires. Put 0.3 Amps through them and they contract by 3-5%.  You should be able to see them in the photos.  In several locations I have *no* clearance below where I wanted to put the train order signals so I needed a design with a low profile beneath the track level that I could adjust at the work bench and drop in from above.  There is a short demo video here http://flic.kr/p/eKPzY5

And now there were 5...just finished the last working TO signal needed for Vanrail and installed it at Cascade. 



A Dispatcher in the adjacent room controls these signals - and the repeaters on the fascia - via Panelpro/JMRI when he wishes to pass orders to the crews.

Now to restage, clean up, and maybe a bit more scenery...

md
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 12:11:21 AM by mark dance »
Youtube Videos of the N Scale Columbia & Western at: markdance63
Photos and track plan of of the N Scale Columbia & Western at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27907618@N02/sets/72157624106602402/

bbussey

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 9384
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +6187
    • www.bbussey.net
Re: Weekend Update 9/1/13
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2013, 06:33:40 PM »
0
Still a little more work to do finish up. Thanks to some very helpful  :ashat:s, I was able to figure out the brake rigging. This model rides pretty low. I need to compare it to the prototype some more. Currently, it is so low that the ribs are touching the wheels. A good problem to have and an easy one to fix.
Not awful for my first one.

Josh, use MTL Andrews trucks as stand-ins for PRR Crown trucks.  That should put the car at the proper height without the truck frames touching the body.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net
Bridgeport & New London in N scale


John

  • Administrator
  • Crew
  • *****
  • Posts: 14003
  • Respect: +4179
Re: Weekend Update 9/1/13
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2013, 06:57:24 PM »
0


A Disptacher in the adjacent room controls these signals - and repeaters on the fascia - via Panelpro/JMRI when he wishes to pass orders to the crews.

Now to restage, clean uip and a bit of scenery...

md

Mark - I would like to see how you implemented the repeaters ..


chicken45

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 4500
  • Gender: Male
  • Will rim for upvotes.
  • Respect: +1014
    • Facebook Profile
Re: Weekend Update 9/1/13
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2013, 07:06:15 PM »
0
Josh, use MTL Andrews trucks as stand-ins for PRR Crown trucks.  That should put the car at the proper height without the truck frames touching the body.

Hey thanks for that tip, Bryan! I like the Bowser trucks, but I think I'll take your advice on the Andrews trucks.
In my photos, I merely sat the gon on the trucks for the pose.
Josh Surkosky

Here's a Clerihew about Ed. K.

Ed Kapucinski
Every night, he plants a new tree.
But mention his law
and you've pulled your last straw!

Alternate version:
Ed Kapucinski
Every night, he plants a new tree.
He asks excitedly "Did you say Ménage à Trois?"
No, I said "Ed's Law."

SD452XR

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 265
  • Respect: +35
Re: Weekend Update 9/1/13
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2013, 07:16:04 PM »
0
+1

That's really wonderful news Bill; I have a small supply of shells that I have hoarded since Jim discontinued those and the super dome.... Well done that man !

mark dance

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1028
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +1280
    • The N Scale Columbia and Western
Re: Weekend Update 9/1/13
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2013, 07:42:53 PM »
0
Mark - I would like to see how you implemented the repeaters ..

ok John...the elements of the system are described in this video.  The only difference now since when this was shot are the semaphores.  This shows Mk I semaphores and I installed Mk II!


Hope this is helpful  Please let me know should you have a question. 

md
Youtube Videos of the N Scale Columbia & Western at: markdance63
Photos and track plan of of the N Scale Columbia & Western at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27907618@N02/sets/72157624106602402/

DKS

  • The Pitt
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 13424
  • Respect: +7027
Re: Weekend Update 9/1/13
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2013, 07:47:23 PM »
0
Working on a way to modify track to simulate street trackage--



Details in the layout engineering thread: https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=27762.msg334680;topicseen#msg334680

Jim Starbuck

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1063
  • Respect: +3142
Re: Weekend Update 9/1/13
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2013, 08:13:27 PM »
0
The Skytops are coming, the Skytops are coming !  Due to popular demand, I have borrowed the Skytop masters from Jim Stillman of Nscaleskytops and will be making them available through my web site Skytopmodels.com .  First up will be the "Rapids" series car. Stay tuned as the master is currently in the RTV.  :D



Great news Bill!
I'll be in touch :)
Modutrak Iowa Division
Modutrak.com
Better modeling through peer pressure

eric220

  • The Pitt
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3738
  • Gender: Male
  • Continuing my abomination unto history
  • Respect: +648
    • The Modern PRR
Re: Weekend Update 9/1/13
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2013, 09:39:16 PM »
0
Finished up a couple of goodies for the Pennsylvania Railroad.  The Laurel Valley Back Shops filling in where Juniata just couldn't handle the load...





Lee

"Couldn't handle the load"?!?! Hey now, them's fightin' words!  :D

In case anyone was wondering what was in the package of awesomeness:



This shot also illustrates the only progress on the transcontinental PRR of late: 5000k daylight LED bulbs in the track lighting.
-Eric

Modeling a transcontinental PRR
http://www.pennsylvania-railroad.com