Author Topic: Weekend Update 9/1/13  (Read 20853 times)

VonRyan

• Crew
  • Running on fumes
  • Respect: +597
Re: Weekend Update 9/1/13
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2013, 04:00:56 AM »
Hi Cody...0.003" dia. nitinol wires. Put 0.3 Amps through them and they contract by 3-5%.  You should be able to see them in the photos.  In several locations I have *no* clearance below where I wanted to put the train order signals so I needed a design with a low profile beneath the track level that I could adjust at the work bench and drop in from above.  There is a short demo video here http://flic.kr/p/eKPzY5

And now there were 5...just finished the last working TO signal needed for Vanrail and installed it at Cascade. 

A Dispatcher in the adjacent room controls these signals - and the repeaters on the fascia - via Panelpro/JMRI when he wishes to pass orders to the crews.

Now to restage, clean up, and maybe a bit more scenery...

md

Interesting. Where does one get nitinol wire? It is just the solution I've been looking for. Is the spring-return necessary or does simply cutting off the current cause the wire to go back to its original length?

-Cody F.
Cody W Fisher  —  Wandering soul from a bygone era.
Tired.
Fighting to reclaim shreds of the past.

jereising

• Crew
  • Respect: +609
    • The Oakville Sub
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2013, 10:22:57 AM »
It's late August/early September - and for me, that means a trip to my favorite place in the world - Union, IL.

There's simply no place else to see a scene like this:  the complete Nebraska Zephyr - lunch in the diner if so inclined - and an operating Little Joe!  (Don't let a South Shore fan hear you calling it a Little Joe - it's an 800, period!

I'm a closet juice fan, one of the reasons IRM attracts me, because they run a lot of juice.

And then something for the more recently inclined:

Thanks for bringing it, UP!

It was IRM's 60th Anniversary celebration.  There was much else running including two steamers, Leviathan #63 and Gramling 126.  A great day!
Jim Reising
Visit The Oakville Sub - A Different Tehachapi - at:
http://theoakvillesub.itgo.com/
And on Trainboard:
http://www.trainboard.com/grapevine/showthread.php?t=99466

mark dance

• Crew
  • Respect: +1279
    • The N Scale Columbia and Western
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2013, 11:56:45 AM »
Interesting. Where does one get nitinol wire? It is just the solution I've been looking for. Is the spring-return necessary or does simply cutting off the current cause the wire to go back to its original length?

-Cody F.

Yes a return force is needed.  The spring design in my configuration is actually the most complicated part of the design and I think I have to soften it up in future builds or use carbon fiber rods rather than spring steel.  I used a compression spring in MK I but then when I reversed the orientation (Nitinol normally off rather than normally on) I went to music wire leaf springs which are quite a bit stiffer.  The result is I don't get full throw before the Nitinol force maxes out which is bothering me.  Anyway I might just try gravity and some weights!

I bought the memory metal wire from Dynalloy http://www.dynalloy.com/FAQ.php .  There brand of wire is Flexinol.

Hope that helps.

md
Youtube Videos of the N Scale Columbia & Western at: markdance63
Photos and track plan of of the N Scale Columbia & Western at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27907618@N02/sets/72157624106602402/

BCRail_FSJ

• Crew
  • Respect: +520
    • Trying to model the BCR Fort St John BC (again)...while living in Australia (what could possibly go wrong?)
« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2013, 03:00:55 PM »
Finished the 3rd and final span of the Beatton River Bridge and painted them all yesterday.

Next step is to make the bridge piers and the two small approach girders.

Between this and the Fort Nelson river bridge it has been 3 straight months of Central Valley bridge kitbashing.   As fun as it was I am looking forward to moving on to some different projects in the Fall.
Attempting Canadian prototype modelling in Australia

British Columbia Fort St John Subdivision
https://nscalefortstjohnsub.wordpress.com

dougnelson

• Crew
  • Respect: +2064
    • PRR N Scale
« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2013, 05:11:38 PM »
Ready for the paint shop:  a Rail Yard Models PRR G41a coil steel gondola.  This cars is a bit outside my era, but it is an interesting car and it is a really well done resin kit.  Too bad Rail Yard Models is not around any more.

kelticsylk

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
    • Milepost 15
« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2013, 05:38:42 PM »
Sent a file off to Shapeways to see if it can be printed. Apparently I got it right this time because they notified me it made it through the automated check...

It's a refined version of a digital model I made for Train Simulator...

It's just the basic shape, kind of a proof of concept. Wasn't sure if I could add a lot of detail. Thought it might be good as the core of a more detailed model for making a mold.

I ordered the thing in the cheapest material they have...Black satin ceramic. Since it is a test I didn't want to spend a whole bunch. I'll let you know what Shapeways sends back.

kornellred

• Crew
  • Respect: +19
« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2013, 05:48:57 PM »
Frank - your renderings do not show it, but Baldwin Centipedes are tapered at both ends.  Just a heads up..

http://www.trainweb.org/seaboard/CENTIPEDE/CentipedeCarbodyUnderside.jpg
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 06:06:53 PM by kornellred »

kelticsylk

• Crew
    • Milepost 15
« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2013, 07:09:32 PM »
Frank - your renderings do not show it, but Baldwin Centipedes are tapered at both ends.  Just a heads up..

http://www.trainweb.org/seaboard/CENTIPEDE/CentipedeCarbodyUnderside.jpg

The shape IS tapered at both ends, just doesn't show up well in the perspective view.

BCR 570

• Crew
  • Respect: +3527
    • BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2013, 12:34:16 AM »
Progress continues this weekend on the window openings for my model of BCOL 6508.  After drilling and cutting rough openings in each window panel, the second step was to file each opening out into a fairly square rectangle:

The next step is to go back and finalize each window opening as best as I can.

Tim
T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3MbxkZkx7zApSYCHqu2IYQ

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1325
« Reply #39 on: September 02, 2013, 12:44:27 AM »
Jim:  How well does an 800 run on the IRM's lower voltage?  Not that it matters, as I doubt that they're going for either speed or tractive effort, but just curious.
N Kalanaga
Be well

dougnelson

• Crew
  • Respect: +2064
    • PRR N Scale
« Reply #40 on: September 02, 2013, 02:03:27 AM »
The paint shop worked overtime this weekend completing the PRR G41a.

Doug Nelson

jereising

• Crew
  • Respect: +609
    • The Oakville Sub
« Reply #41 on: September 02, 2013, 10:05:30 AM »
Jim:  How well does an 800 run on the IRM's lower voltage?  Not that it matters, as I doubt that they're going for either speed or tractive effort, but just curious.

They had absolutely no problems voltage wise.  The compressor was the only piece needing replacement, and the shop crew dug one up that was correct and would work well on 600 volts.  I suspect that motor would pull anything you could tack on - just brute strength.

IRM has one issue with heavy electrics, and that's the pantographs - which is why they only bring out the IC Wickerliners and the South Shore cars rarely.  The museum uses mostly trolley wire, not catenary (there IS a stretch of nicely done catenary at Johnson siding) but many of the wire hangers on the trolley wire are not designed for pans, only trolley poles.  And the last thing anyone wants is for the pan to snag.  There was a lot of testing done, and they were able to run at least to Johnson siding four miles out on the main in revenue service.  The engineer would have to frequently lower the pan when approaching a possible snag point, coast, then raise it when past.

I didn't ride behind her - the stars just didn't align, and my guests wanted to ride behind other power.  I'm hoping they'll bring her out again in two weeks for Members' Weekend / Museum Showcase Weekend - maybe I'll get  a chance then.  If anyone is in the Chicago area and loves prototype railroading, this is a not-to-be-missed event.
Jim Reising
Visit The Oakville Sub - A Different Tehachapi - at:
http://theoakvillesub.itgo.com/
And on Trainboard:
http://www.trainboard.com/grapevine/showthread.php?t=99466

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2285
« Reply #42 on: September 02, 2013, 11:12:05 AM »
... IRM has one issue with heavy electrics, and that's the pantographs ...

We had the same issue 40 years ago at Orange Empire RM. My friends and I had just put the Sacramento Northern 653 back into operation, which at the time was the only piece they had with a pan. The overhead was done with streetcar hardware mostly of Pacific Electric origin. The hangar brackets were fine, the main problem was switch frogs; a couple of them didn't have quite enough taper off the wire for the pan. Fortunately the 653 also had poles, since the SN in its day also had some streetcar-style overhead. Anyway, we ran it with the pan a couple of times on the "main", mostly for photos, but tours around the property were with the poles.

(If you've ever tried switching with poles, it's a royal pain.)

HuskerN

• Crew
« Reply #43 on: September 02, 2013, 11:21:12 AM »
here's a new Shapeway's project of my own.  This time it's a Pete 387 tractor.  I ordered a pair a few days ago, and they are printing now.

HuskerN
www.nscaleaddiction.blogspot.com
www.shapeways.com/shops/NScaleAddict

Jim Starbuck

• Crew
  • Respect: +2090
« Reply #44 on: September 02, 2013, 01:00:31 PM »
Nothing photo worthy but I started on a LL SW1200 for Milwaukee #2040..
I changed out the plastic worms with Kato brass, turned down the flanges and installed Z scale couplers.
Next is decoder install, cab end lighting, renumber, detailing and weathering.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 01:15:10 PM by Skytop 47 »
Modutrak Iowa Division
Modutrak.com
Better modeling through peer pressure