Author Topic: Weekend Update 7/8/12  (Read 14744 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

up1950s

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 9967
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +2887
Weekend Update 7/8/12
« on: July 06, 2012, 07:32:06 PM »
0


Richie Dost

mark dance

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1028
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +1280
    • The N Scale Columbia and Western
Re: Weekend Update 7/8/12
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 08:39:26 PM »
0
A quick update from Georgian Bay on Lake Huron: slow progress on snowshed #1...just too much to do at the cottage.

I still need to finish adding and trimming the curved boards on the front, adding a few more interior cross-braces, and then completing with several dozen rusty NBWs.  I probably can get this done with another couple of mornings work if I get up early enough before the family stirs. 

Final finishing will have to wait until I am back in Vancouver as I need to cut the front free of the base and then fit the assembly to the existing scenery.  The hole in the roof is for a plastic insert...the shed will be in a heavily snowed canyon and the top of it will be all covered with snow.  I didn't want to risk putting too much water on the wooden part of the structure and having it warp all over the place so the plastic insert will be snowed separately, attached to the shed, and then the edges of the roof finished with modelling paste similar to what I have used to add snow to other structures.







Have a great weekend!

md
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 08:49:58 PM by mark dance »
Youtube Videos of the N Scale Columbia & Western at: markdance63
Photos and track plan of of the N Scale Columbia & Western at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27907618@N02/sets/72157624106602402/

Scottl

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 5307
  • Respect: +2619
Re: Weekend Update 7/8/12
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012, 08:42:05 PM »
0
That snowshed is fantastic.  How are you getting it back to BC?  :ashat:

mark dance

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1028
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +1280
    • The N Scale Columbia and Western
Re: Weekend Update 7/8/12
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012, 08:47:47 PM »
0
How are you getting it back to BC?  :ashat:

It is surprisingly robust when assembled but never-the-less I do have a box for it and some modelling supplies which I carry on the plane so the shed doesn't need to go in checked baggage.

md
Youtube Videos of the N Scale Columbia & Western at: markdance63
Photos and track plan of of the N Scale Columbia & Western at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27907618@N02/sets/72157624106602402/

JSL

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 439
  • Gender: Male
  • In the Heart Of BNSF Country
  • Respect: +4
    • In the Heart Of BNSF Country
Re: Weekend Update 7/8/12
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2012, 11:22:41 PM »
0
Mark as always, FANTASTIC. Thanks for sharing all your work with us on Railwire.

wazzou

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6812
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1736
Re: Weekend Update 7/8/12
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2012, 12:54:49 AM »
0
I took receipt of a new lens for the DSLR that should prove handier for the up close shots.
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA


rogergperkins

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 854
  • Gender: Male
  • Modeling the B&O in central IL in autumn of 1940's
  • Respect: 0
Re: Weekend Update 7/8/12
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2012, 07:12:39 AM »
0


Main yard after some remodeling: my passenger train roster grew to 8, so I rearranged the passenger section of the yard to accomodate 4 Baltimore and Ohio trains.  The other ones are in between stations.

Oh, did I mention I attempt to model B&O? Waiting for the next set of FVM wagontop boxcars due last month. 8)


seusscaboose

  • The Pitt
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2101
  • Respect: +220
Re: Weekend Update 7/8/12
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2012, 07:25:34 AM »
0
yeah... so literally... saw Marks posts and decided I Am Not Worthy this week.  :)  very nice progress on the snow shed.   I WILL get out there at some point to operate and see it in person.

ran trains in the basement with some friends last night for 3 hours, which i am considering a minor miracle due to a sprinkle of divine intervention considering the electrical bugs we have been chasing.

Of course, found some projects to work on (track, etc.) but all in all, a fun night.

As I said, ran trains and saw friends.  Doesn't get better (cue the Old Milwaukee commercial).

EP
"I have a train full of basements"

NKPH&TS #3589

Inspiration at:
http://nkphts.org/modelersnotebook

conrailthomas519

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 343
  • Gender: Male
  • BNSF / Montana Rail Link
  • Respect: +13
Re: Weekend Update 7/8/12
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2012, 10:39:28 AM »
0
Awesome snowshed MD!
TMM

DKS

  • The Pitt
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 13424
  • Respect: +7027

DKS

  • The Pitt
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 13424
  • Respect: +7027
Re: Weekend Update 7/8/12
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2012, 12:17:30 PM »
0
What the heck is this mess?



At some point it will be an inkjet printer that can print on (not create) 3D objects. This will allow you to create artwork on a PC that can be applied directly to model (or other) objects. Think of it as decals without the decal.

It's nothing new or original. Loads of people have made DIY printers like this. Usually people will do this because commercial units start at around 10 grand. I'm using the guts of a $35 HP inkjet; the nuts and bolts to assemble this cost more than the printer, but the end result should cost about $100.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 12:19:02 PM by David K. Smith »

conrailthomas519

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 343
  • Gender: Male
  • BNSF / Montana Rail Link
  • Respect: +13
Re: Weekend Update 7/8/12
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2012, 02:16:06 PM »
0
Very interesting there DKS! Oh by the way hows my new track plan design coming along?
TMM

MichaelWinicki

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2096
  • Respect: +335
Re: Weekend Update 7/8/12
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2012, 03:13:21 PM »
0
An operating session from a couple Saturday's ago...





If you're ever in western New York (near the PA line) feel free to drop me an email or PM and we'll fire up the layout.

DKS

  • The Pitt
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 13424
  • Respect: +7027
Re: Weekend Update 7/8/12
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2012, 03:22:47 PM »
0
Oh by the way hows my new track plan design coming along?

You don't see it mixed in there with all the other stuff? Sorry, I'll have to do some tidying...

VonRyan

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3108
  • Gender: Male
  • Yes, No, Maybe So
  • Respect: +691
Re: Weekend Update 7/8/12
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2012, 03:40:01 PM »
0
You don't see it mixed in there with all the other stuff? Sorry, I'll have to do some tidying...

You and me both... i have stuff tucked away that I forgot that I forgot I had.

-Cody F.
Cody W Fisher  —  Wandering soul from a bygone era.

In Memoriam
Bill Kidd
Bill “Rep” Repholz
Erik Seidelmann