Author Topic: Weekend Update 7/8/12  (Read 14748 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

davefoxx

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 12348
  • Gender: Male
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +8596
Re: Weekend Update 7/8/12
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2012, 01:39:51 AM »
0
Trackwork progresses on the Seaboard Central:



DFF

A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!
Still General Counsel to the Laurel Valley Ry.

Leggy

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 665
  • Respect: +48
Re: Weekend Update 7/8/12
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2012, 01:53:12 AM »
0
Very cool Dave, I like the branch that winds up thru the guts.

nkalanaga

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 10593
  • Respect: +1771
Re: Weekend Update 7/8/12
« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2012, 01:54:51 AM »
0
Leggy:  Where was that picture taken?  The wagons look somewhat like New Zealand coal wagons, and the train looks "narrow gaugeish".  I wouldn't mind having a good running pair of those for my Nn3 coal trains.  The yellow and black version would look right at home on my railroad, although the scheme is different from the West Ridge Ry's.
N Kalanaga
Be well

Leggy

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 665
  • Respect: +48
Re: Weekend Update 7/8/12
« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2012, 02:00:39 AM »
0
Somewhere in the Queensland coalfields, QLD runs 3'6" (1067mm iirc) with the only SG (4'8.5") being the line from Sydney to Brisbane, pretty much a short hop across the border.

The locomotives in question are Downer EDI GT42CU-ACs (4000 Class, QR livery)) and GT42CU-ACes (4100 Class, the yellow and black unit (QRNational livery)). 3300hp 12-710 powered AC traction 120t locomotives.

nkalanaga

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 10593
  • Respect: +1771
Re: Weekend Update 7/8/12
« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2012, 02:04:26 AM »
0
Thank you!  NZ is also 3'6", so the similarity isn't surprising.  As "Nn3" is closer to 40-41 inches, these would be perfect for a modern coal train.  On the other hand, I model 1974, so these exact units would be too modern, but the same cabs could be spliced onto an earlier model. 
N Kalanaga
Be well

Leggy

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 665
  • Respect: +48
Re: Weekend Update 7/8/12
« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2012, 02:07:00 AM »
0
As a native from NZ living on the Western Isle I'm quite familiar with the NZ railscape. Too bad KiwiRail (ugh) didn't look at these over the DLs, or atleast consider them for the Midland Line coalies...

One problem tho, there's no N scale model available of the GT42, only HOn3.5 (as a kit).

S Class

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 302
  • Respect: +6
Re: Weekend Update 7/8/12
« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2012, 03:11:37 AM »
0
The thing about On30 is if you were doing something Australian you really can't go past the 2'6" lines of Victoria:


Otherwise the Queensland state system would just look silly on 30" track (well at least to my inner  :ashat:) I know the Kiwi's are big on Sn42 on HO and TTn3.5 (or TTn42) on N track which looks pretty sweet from what i've seen.
If it must be Queensland how about a cane railway? they went pretty much any gauge from 2' to 3'6" and would make an excellent freelance subject

Never really understood why the Tasmanian and WA modelers went with S scale while the SA and QLD modelers stuck with HO, this stupid country has as many scales as gauges.

Working on some trees this weekend.  Made a little over 50 so far.  Dipped the first batch in matte medium, dried, then painted primer grey.  Second batch just dried after matte medium.  Will paint tomorrow and may add some foliage.  Just playing with tree placement and wanted to get an idea of what the space may look like eventually when trees were added.  Any suggestions on what you guys use for foliage on super trees?




The improvement of the just the armatures is 500,000,000,000,000,000% better than the last time we saw it, your layout is coming along in leaps and bounds (and really temps me to ditch c55 in favour of unitrack).

This week I assembled a bullfrog and some wagons, now awaiting paint sans bogies, will post pictures when I can work out which photo host I want to go with.
Regards
Tony A

James Costello

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1956
  • Respect: +535
Re: Weekend Update 7/8/12
« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2012, 04:23:40 AM »
0
Finished all the #80 drill holes on the cabs and body of my Espee AC4400CWs.

If I get the pilots done this week and some details glued on, I might be able to hit the paint shop next weekend.
James Costello
Espee into the 90's

daniel_leavitt2000

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6444
  • Respect: +1427
Re: Weekend Update 7/8/12
« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2012, 05:25:51 AM »
0
Not much here this week. I have been trying to get a plumber in for several weeks. The basement can not move forward until I get this straghtened out.

Most of the demo is done, I have to figure out how to get all that plaster off the cement walls so I can find out if there are any cracks. Since the plaster is nearly as hard as the cement itself, this is a bit tricky.
American eyes, American eyes
View the world from American eyes
Bury the past, rob us blind
And leave nothing behind

bc6

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 281
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: 0
    • PRLX Leasing
Re: Weekend Update 7/8/12
« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2012, 06:42:41 AM »
0
Guess what.....I moved into the computerized era of model railroading. I purchased a NCE starter set & some decoders

John

  • Administrator
  • Crew
  • *****
  • Posts: 14006
  • Respect: +4180
Re: Weekend Update 7/8/12
« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2012, 07:06:45 AM »
0
Guess what.....I moved into the computerized era of model railroading. I purchased a NCE starter set & some decoders

Nice .. don't look back :)

DKS

  • The Pitt
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 13424
  • Respect: +7027
Re: Weekend Update 7/8/12
« Reply #41 on: July 08, 2012, 09:26:02 AM »
0
Trackwork progresses on the Seaboard Central:



DFF


shark_jj

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 309
  • Respect: +743
Re: Weekend Update 7/8/12
« Reply #42 on: July 08, 2012, 10:06:30 AM »
0
Great work everyone, Mark that snowshed is awesome.  Michael, the layout is looking good.  On my previous layout I used a dark green (DGLE) for the fascia but I really like how that light green you used seems to open up the room.  Also, who's photo backgrounds did you use?

John
John

VonRyan

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3108
  • Gender: Male
  • Yes, No, Maybe So
  • Respect: +691
Re: Weekend Update 7/8/12
« Reply #43 on: July 08, 2012, 11:51:17 AM »
0


Why not look past American shores?....

I'm already doing that except i'm keeping along with my N by doing Nn3... yet using it to model a Welsh 2'3" slate railway that is somewhat proto-freelanced.

-Cody F.
Cody W Fisher  —  Wandering soul from a bygone era.

In Memoriam
Bill Kidd
Bill “Rep” Repholz
Erik Seidelmann

bc6

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 281
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: 0
    • PRLX Leasing
Re: Weekend Update 7/8/12
« Reply #44 on: July 08, 2012, 12:23:14 PM »
0
Nice .. don't look back :)


Thanks John, now to get the other 30 non DCC locos decoderized.