Author Topic: Weekend Update 7/8/12  (Read 14745 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

hunter_alexander

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 113
  • Respect: +6
Re: Weekend Update 7/8/12
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2012, 07:43:05 PM »
0
An operating session from a couple Saturday's ago...

If you're ever in western New York (near the PA line) feel free to drop me an email or PM and we'll fire up the layout.

Wow, where in WNY? I live in Erie. :D

R L Smith

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 810
  • Respect: +864
Re: Weekend Update 7/8/12
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2012, 08:00:28 PM »
0
Started some landscaping work this week; the Sculpt-a-mold should be dry enough to paint in a few more days (ridiculoulsy hot and humid here lately).  I've worked on two separate sections, each about 8 feet long.

From late January:




March:



Today:









The bridge scene will represent a DL&W bridge just north of Bath NY (I'll eventually replace the Kato truss with a proper skewed truss) and the last two views are the Erie / EL along the Canisteo River.  Someday....all it takes is time and $$, right?   Oh, and trees.  Lots and lots of trees...<sigh>

Ron
ELRRHS member. NMRA Mid-Central Region Division 11 Assistant Superintendent.

If the women don't find you handsome, make sure they find you handy...

jereising

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 750
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +610
    • The Oakville Sub
Re: Weekend Update 7/8/12
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2012, 08:18:17 PM »
0
This week's pic - finally got some pups for the triple 28...northbound at Caliente...

Jim Reising
Visit The Oakville Sub - A Different Tehachapi - at:
http://theoakvillesub.itgo.com/
And on Trainboard:
http://www.trainboard.com/grapevine/showthread.php?t=99466

MichaelWinicki

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2096
  • Respect: +335
Re: Weekend Update 7/8/12
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2012, 08:18:51 PM »
0





Ron

Nice Ron.

I live about an hour west of Bath.

TrainCat2

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2014
  • Gender: Male
  • I'm here to take a beating from RailWire members.
  • Respect: +932
    • TrainCat Model Sales
Re: Weekend Update 7/8/12
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2012, 08:29:01 PM »
0
I have been traveling for business a lot this year. For the most part, that is done for the rest of the year. Being home gave me some time to build-up one of the new HO-Scale Wilson Auto Ramps.


I also started building the proto-model of the Topock 2-track Deck Girder Bridge. Here is a completed section of the structural members. Once they are done, I then start applying several layers of overlays to bring out all of the detail.


Regards
boB Knight

I Spell boB Backwards

R L Smith

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 810
  • Respect: +864
Re: Weekend Update 7/8/12
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2012, 08:39:07 PM »
0
Michael, I was just there a few days ago!  My GF and I spent a couple of days around Keuka and Seneca Lakes, and last Sunday went to the Genessee Valley Museum in W. Henrietta (My GF is a keeper!).  We try to get up there a few times a year so I can railfan the Tier; Corning is about a 3.5 hour drive for us.

I'd love to see (and operate) your layout some time; please PM me if you plan an open house or op session anytime soon.

From 2010 (just a mile or three from the scene I'm attempting to capture in 1:160):




Ron
ELRRHS member. NMRA Mid-Central Region Division 11 Assistant Superintendent.

If the women don't find you handsome, make sure they find you handy...

conrailthomas519

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 343
  • Gender: Male
  • BNSF / Montana Rail Link
  • Respect: +13
Re: Weekend Update 7/8/12
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2012, 08:49:18 PM »
0
DKS lol... good answer...
TMM

Vince Gortner

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 47
  • Respect: 0
Re: Weekend Update 7/8/12
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2012, 09:11:29 PM »
0
I know that I risk being kicked off the N scale forum, but from what I'm reading elsewhere on railwire I'm definitely not the first N scale guy to take a minor detour into On30 territory...   I've been having so much fun with scenery on my HCD sized layout but obviously a double tracked roundy round without a single turnout was not gonna be a lasting layout design.  Just a temporary chunk of foam for experimentation and I figured when I move I'd store it, sell it, or just throw it out unless I had another idea. 

I have another idea!   Turning this layout into a small On30 layout.  Just got a neat outside frame 2-8-0 on the Bay for $67!  These things are chunky and heavy.  Can wait to hit it with the airbrush and dirty it up a bit.  Needs sound. 



Not ditching N scale - still have big plans for a big layout - but this is fun to play with for a bit.  Just getting this one steamer and a few cars to torture.  I'll post my progress on the RW large scale forum but just wanted to announce my high treason and give people the opportunity to throw rocks!


SkipGear

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2431
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +647
Re: Weekend Update 7/8/12
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2012, 10:13:26 PM »
0
I know that I risk being kicked off the N scale forum, but from what I'm reading elsewhere on railwire I'm definitely not the first N scale guy to take a minor detour into On30 territory...   I've been having so much fun with scenery on my HCD sized layout but obviously a double tracked roundy round without a single turnout was not gonna be a lasting layout design.  Just a temporary chunk of foam for experimentation and I figured when I move I'd store it, sell it, or just throw it out unless I had another idea. 

I have another idea!   Turning this layout into a small On30 layout.  Just got a neat outside frame 2-8-0 on the Bay for $67!  These things are chunky and heavy.  Can wait to hit it with the airbrush and dirty it up a bit.  Needs sound. 

Not ditching N scale - still have big plans for a big layout - but this is fun to play with for a bit.  Just getting this one steamer and a few cars to torture.  I'll post my progress on the RW large scale forum but just wanted to announce my high treason and give people the opportunity to throw rocks!

If I was going to do any other scale, it would he On30. It would be a complete about face from trying to model a specific place in N scale to a freelance logging layout.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 10:31:04 PM by SkipGear »
Tony Hines

Dave V

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 12296
  • Gender: Male
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +11808
Re: Weekend Update 7/8/12
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2012, 10:27:05 PM »
0
I've always been a closet Colorado narrow gauge fan, but it would also be fun to do an On30 East Broad Top or Tweetsie inspired freelance.

Wardie

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 396
  • Respect: +34
Re: Weekend Update 7/8/12
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2012, 10:54:51 PM »
0
I have some On30 too, when the Forney 2-4-4 came out it was an affordable way to have something resembling the Maine 2 footers, especially since Nn3 Forneys are still a ways in the future.


Leggy

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 665
  • Respect: +48
Re: Weekend Update 7/8/12
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2012, 10:56:10 PM »
0


Why not look past American shores?....

davefoxx

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 12348
  • Gender: Male
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +8596
Re: Weekend Update 7/8/12
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2012, 11:08:54 PM »
0
I've always been a closet Colorado narrow gauge fan, but it would also be fun to do an On30 East Broad Top or Tweetsie inspired freelance.

I have long been a fan of the ET&WNC and seriously looked at the On30 models available several years ago.  The main reason I didn't bite was because the ET was a 36" gauge, not 30".  Guilty of rivet counting?  Perhaps, but I digress.  My main point is that I'm not going to chastise anyone for dabbling in another scale.  My twenty-year-old G scale ET&WNC train is above my desk at work.

DFF

A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!
Still General Counsel to the Laurel Valley Ry.

davidgray1974

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 304
  • Gender: Male
  • "...." - Luke Skywalker
  • Respect: +224
Re: Weekend Update 7/8/12
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2012, 11:37:37 PM »
0
Working on some trees this weekend.  Made a little over 50 so far.  Dipped the first batch in matte medium, dried, then painted primer grey.  Second batch just dried after matte medium.  Will paint tomorrow and may add some foliage.  Just playing with tree placement and wanted to get an idea of what the space may look like eventually when trees were added.  Any suggestions on what you guys use for foliage on super trees?



Modeling the L&N, well at least a few times a year.

Vince Gortner

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 47
  • Respect: 0
Re: Weekend Update 7/8/12
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2012, 11:51:01 PM »
0
Thanks for the support on the On30 stuff....  and yeah, definitely a 180 from everything else!  It's a very different aspect of model railroading that has a distinct appeal.  Seems to work well in this larger scale too.