Author Topic: Weekend Update 6/17/12  (Read 16900 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Bob Bufkin

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6397
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +44
Re: Weekend Update 6/17/12
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2012, 09:12:12 PM »
0
No modeling but just got home from the CRHS trip from D.C. to Harrisburg and back.  There were 2 NS heritage units in the NS yard in Baltimore but I was in the snack coach talking to Ed and missed getting a shot.  The NYC and another which I didn't get to see closely.  They were gone when we returned.  Here's a few shots from the trip.







At lest I got am Amtrak heritage unit back in D.C.



A few of the a$$hat gang at the end of the trip.


central.vermont

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2627
  • Gender: Male
  • Jon
  • Respect: +148
Re: Weekend Update 6/17/12
« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2012, 09:24:30 PM »
0
Jim,
Great shots of your room and info to each. Just one thing I wished you had a shot of and that was of the bridge in front of your doorway. Any chance of seeing this area?  :)

Jon


Here’s something different for me and for Oakville.  I’ve been asked to show more of the basement so folks can get a better feel for how the layout “works”.  So here we go:



We turn the camera 180 degrees and see the main room.  The Bealville crossovers are straight ahead and a bit right.  The bridge is out of view to the left.  You can see where the electronics for DCC are at left, and the bay to the right.  East Oakville and the east end of the yard are over the hills against the far wall.

I hope you’ve enjoyed this wide angle view of The Oakville Sub!

Dave V

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 12295
  • Gender: Male
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +11804
Re: Weekend Update 6/17/12
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2012, 10:17:56 PM »
0
Happened to be at Columbia, PA today and caught this:


BCOL 747

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 228
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +143
Re: Weekend Update 6/17/12
« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2012, 12:00:17 AM »
0
Due to the poor weather here today I was able to get some more landforms roughed in on my second level. This will eventually be the Pine Pass area. The Dash 9-44CW and B30-7 are pulling a potash train which has been re-routed by CN through Dawson Creek. The Hawker Siddeley Canpotex cars are from North American Railcar Corporation. Although a bit pricier than the Intermountain versions, they are very nice with better details.  You get what you pay for I guess.



Have a good weekend.

Chris Dittmar
BC Rail, Chetwynd Sub

nkalanaga

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 10593
  • Respect: +1771
Re: Weekend Update 6/17/12
« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2012, 12:16:57 AM »
0
Mike:  Wheat is hard to do in N scale.  Properly scaled, it looks like powder...  Your pastels look good.
N Kalanaga
Be well

daniel_leavitt2000

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6444
  • Respect: +1427
Re: Weekend Update 6/17/12
« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2012, 01:01:43 AM »
0
If Ikea made layouts, this would be it.

Here’s something different for me and for Oakville.  I’ve been asked to show more of the basement so folks can get a better feel for how the layout “works”.  So here we go:



This is the south room.  The Caliente crossovers are right center.  Staging is underneath.


Edit - removed numerous duplicate pics.  -gfh
« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 01:29:23 AM by GaryHinshaw »
American eyes, American eyes
View the world from American eyes
Bury the past, rob us blind
And leave nothing behind

delamaize

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2655
  • Gender: Male
  • Prairie Line Native
  • Respect: +1026
Re: Weekend Update 6/17/12
« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2012, 01:21:13 AM »
0
well no trains for me thus far this weekend, I had to help my dad shoot a wedding for a freind. Althougt, after that, I got to tinker with my boat a little more. I made a $150 gamble on a 1971 50hp Johnson. Happy to report, other than a low idle problem, it runs and shifts like it is brand new, and my buddy that is a outboard mechanic and tells me that it looks like it had been overhauled recently, like within the last 10-15 hours. so looks like my gamble payed off. Now to get my boat safety card, and the last of the safety gear. Can't wait to get it out on the water.
Mike
Skookumchuck Belt Line Founder

Northern Pacific, Tacoma Division, 4th subdivision "The Prarie Line" (still in planning stages)

GaryHinshaw

  • Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6765
  • Respect: +2639
Re: Weekend Update 6/17/12
« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2012, 01:35:56 AM »
0
Thanks for posting those basement shots Jim.  It really is a remarkably clean space you have there.  Its begging to have a dozen a$$hats stop by for an ops session!  Nice to see that your work bench looks a bit messy - there's still hope for the rest of us.  :)

I too would like to see the doorway - do you use the lift out, or mostly just duck under?  I'm also curious about access to your staging under Caliente: can you get to the trains in there?

Thanks,
Gary

jereising

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 750
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +610
    • The Oakville Sub
Re: Weekend Update 6/17/12
« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2012, 09:16:09 AM »
0
Jim,
Great shots of your room and info to each. Just one thing I wished you had a shot of and that was of the bridge in front of your doorway. Any chance of seeing this area?  :)

Jon


Thanks, Jon - I'll try to get that for next week...Oddly, woke up this AM thinking I should have included that!
Jim Reising
Visit The Oakville Sub - A Different Tehachapi - at:
http://theoakvillesub.itgo.com/
And on Trainboard:
http://www.trainboard.com/grapevine/showthread.php?t=99466

jereising

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 750
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +610
    • The Oakville Sub
Re: Weekend Update 6/17/12
« Reply #39 on: June 17, 2012, 09:24:40 AM »
0
Its begging to have a dozen a$$hats stop by for an ops session!

Any time, Gary! (Well, almost any.)


I too would like to see the doorway - do you use the lift out, or mostly just duck under?  I'm also curious about access to your staging under Caliente: can you get to the trains in there?

Thanks,
Gary

It's a lift-out, and I'm happy to say pretty bulletproof.  But I don't take it out all that much, very easy to duck under due to the height of the layout - took a chance when I did that, and it's been ++ all the way.  Only negative is when kids visit, they need to stand on something to see well.

I can get a car from any part of staging with little effort...well, maybe a LITTLE effort...
Jim Reising
Visit The Oakville Sub - A Different Tehachapi - at:
http://theoakvillesub.itgo.com/
And on Trainboard:
http://www.trainboard.com/grapevine/showthread.php?t=99466

rochsub

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 371
  • Respect: +253
    • The N Scale UPRR Geneva Subdivision
Re: Weekend Update 6/17/12
« Reply #40 on: June 17, 2012, 10:32:47 AM »
0
Op session from a couple of weeks ago.  Work sorting cars continues in the Proviso yard while a westbound intermodal waits for an eastbound autorack train to get to the proper lefthand running #1 mainline track.  With all the action that takes place at Proviso, I use plexiglass to protect against any equipment hitting the floor.


chuck geiger

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3579
  • Gender: Male
  • Train Talk Media
  • Respect: +3970
Re: Weekend Update 6/17/12
« Reply #41 on: June 17, 2012, 02:10:46 PM »
0
Followed the construction of Jim's layout on Atlas, this is a quality project
with room functionality being considered in the planning. It looks like part of
room and home.

flight2000

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 795
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +370
Re: Weekend Update 6/17/12
« Reply #42 on: June 17, 2012, 03:22:51 PM »
0
Followed the construction of Jim's layout on Atlas, this is a quality project
with room functionality being considered in the planning. It looks like part of
room and home.

Same here, only on I followed it on Trainboard.  I think it's at 142 pages so far and an excellent read on how to successfully plan and build a railroad.  Maybe it should become a book...

Brian
I've never met a covered hopper I didn't like.... :)
My (HO) NW Ohio Layout Feed: https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=57633.msg793742#msg793742

eja

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1527
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +279
Re: Weekend Update 6/17/12
« Reply #43 on: June 17, 2012, 03:39:44 PM »
0


 

Jim,


Every time I see this photo, my initial reaction is "cool, someone built a layout on top of a grand piano", then I wonder, "would she let me...."

Sadly, in a millisecond, reality returns!

Sigh!
« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 03:41:47 PM by eja »

Dave Schneider

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2377
  • Respect: +51
Re: Weekend Update 6/17/12
« Reply #44 on: June 17, 2012, 04:03:06 PM »
0
Op session from a couple of weeks ago.  Work sorting cars continues in the Proviso yard while a westbound intermodal waits for an eastbound autorack train to get to the proper lefthand running #1 mainline track.  With all the action that takes place at Proviso, I use plexiglass to protect against any equipment hitting the floor.



I love the subtle variation in height from the main, to the yard, to the industries along the backdrop. This adds so much to the great look of this scene. This is an underutilized design feature in my opinion, and as you show works even in the "flat" Midwest.

Best wishes, Dave
If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.