Author Topic: Weekend Update 6/17/12  (Read 16904 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Ali Kenneth

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 143
  • Respect: +1
Re: Weekend Update 6/17/12
« Reply #45 on: June 17, 2012, 05:29:12 PM »
0
No actual modelling for me, spent the week on holiday on an island with no trains (not my idea), but managed to take my daughter to an American Modelling show yesterday. Although heavily biased towards HO, there was only 1 N Scale layout   and about 8 HO, it was fantastic and certainly rekindled my interest in modelling after a few months where it has taken a back seat.

The show can be seen at http://www.tvnam.co.uk/ and i will be going again next year as my 11 month old daughter seemed to love it.

Just got to find a way of making a layout to run the Kato Metra sets on now (with very limited space and budget).

Alasdair

wm3798

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 16564
  • Gender: Male
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +7455
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
Re: Weekend Update 6/17/12
« Reply #46 on: June 17, 2012, 08:06:09 PM »
0
Awesome week in North Carolina.  Not much train wise, but lots of fun.

Got to visit JustTrainCrazy Kevin's amazing layout, and rode the Piedmont back to Raleigh.  Shot a train from the deck of the Boylan Bridge brewpub, and got some fun pics along the way.

Back soon to upload pics.  Stand by for news!

Paul Harvey.
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

central.vermont

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2627
  • Gender: Male
  • Jon
  • Respect: +148
Re: Weekend Update 6/17/12
« Reply #47 on: June 17, 2012, 08:19:23 PM »
0
Stand by for news!

Paul Harvey.

I sure do miss his reports.  :(

Jon

Bendtracker1

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1546
  • Remember The Rock!
  • Respect: +1647
    • The Little Rock Line
Re: Weekend Update 6/17/12
« Reply #48 on: June 17, 2012, 08:52:40 PM »
0
I sure do miss his reports.  :(

Jon


+1
His noontime reports were a stable thing for my lunch hours since I was kid in the late 60's
Lunch just isn't lunch anymore!  :|

ljudice

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3390
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +271
    • NS/CR Camp Car Models
Re: Weekend Update 6/17/12
« Reply #49 on: June 17, 2012, 09:33:42 PM »
0
Some progress....   All the major sidings are now wired, the embankment into town is fixed and major rough-in of some scenery is starting...

https://louisjudice.com - Photography and my Amazing AI Music Videos

davefoxx

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 12348
  • Gender: Male
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +8596
Re: Weekend Update 6/17/12
« Reply #50 on: June 17, 2012, 10:02:21 PM »
0
Just got home earlier this evening from a big weekend that included volunteering on the CRHS's Susquehanna Limited yesterday.  My wife, Cynthia, and I car hosted Car B and had a blast entertaining and ensuring that approximately sixty paying riders had a great time on the ride from Washington, D.C./Baltimore to Harrisburg and return.  It was a long day, and we were on our feet for probably 95% of the trip.  But, it was very satisfying when people who paid a lot of money for the ride gave us a round of applause for our efforts at the end of the ride.  We had such a nice group of people on our car, who were easy going and just enjoyed themselves.  I found it funny that there was a noticeable silence that swept the car after the box lunches were handed out and devoured.  Naptime!  Unfortunately, Cyn and I didn't have time to catch some z's, but the exhaustion we felt after the trip was gratifying, knowing that we helped make those sixty or so riders have a trip that they enjoyed and will remember for a lifetime.  Oh, and I can also assure you that Amtoob coach #82525 had the cleanest toilets in Amtrak's whole fleet yesterday...  all day long.   ;)

Unfortunately, I missed the two NS heritage units at Bay View in the morning yesterday, and they were gone on our second pass in the afternoon.  I did, however, spot the Phase III Amtrak 40th Anniversary unit at Union Station upon our return to the District.  Certainly, though, the stars of the day were Bennett Levin's PRR E8s.  Just beautiful.

It was nice to see my fellow asshats that were also on the ride yesterday.  I apologize to any of you who I may not have had time to chat with or even say hello.

Looking forward to hearing from others who hosted, rode, or even railfanned the trip for their perspectives.  What a great day!

DFF

A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!
Still General Counsel to the Laurel Valley Ry.

NARmike

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 157
  • "From the Land of the Mighty Peace"
  • Respect: +1
    • N Scale NAR
Re: Weekend Update 6/17/12
« Reply #51 on: June 17, 2012, 10:37:27 PM »
0


I'm on a roll this weekend...

I've finally got started on the deck for my Heart River bridge.



The boys were working hard...



But I let them have a break so I could take a picture.



Mike Maisonneuve
Modelling the Northern Alberta Railways' Peace River subdivision in N scale
http://nscalenar.blogspot.ca/
Mike Maisonneuve
Modelling the Northern Alberta Railways' Peace River subdivision in N scale

Philip H

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 9028
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +1796
    • Layout Progress Blog
Re: Weekend Update 6/17/12
« Reply #52 on: June 17, 2012, 10:44:23 PM »
0
As reported elsewhere, I have been working this week on a major benchwork expansion:



http://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/node/8191#comment-67488

Also hosted RockGP40 on Friday night before he car hosted for the CRHS.  Not sure what sort of tour he got o fthe layout room from the kids while I was putting Tucker to sleep.
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.


Catt

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1721
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +28
    • Boylerwerx
Re: Weekend Update 6/17/12
« Reply #53 on: June 17, 2012, 11:26:14 PM »
0
Latest work area onn the Grande Valley.I'm actually going just the opposite than I had planned ,but progress is progress. :D



and now a close up pic of the only cardstock building on the layout so far (not my build) my friend Terry Holmes way up in Labrador City Canada built it for me.I plan to do a little detailing,but not much.Anybody know where I might find a decent pick up based tow truck in N scale?

Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
Sole owner of the
Grande Valley Railway
100% Michigan made

rogergperkins

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 854
  • Gender: Male
  • Modeling the B&O in central IL in autumn of 1940's
  • Respect: 0
Re: Weekend Update 6/17/12
« Reply #54 on: June 18, 2012, 07:40:16 AM »
0
Low angle or n-scale eye-level video recording and photography is a lot of fun. 8)  It can be done with smart phones and smaller point and shoot digital cameras.
The biggest challenge from my view point for video recording is running the camera and train at the same time.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 07:42:45 AM by rogergperkins »

One of One-Sixty

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1304
  • Respect: +3
Re: Weekend Update 6/17/12
« Reply #55 on: June 18, 2012, 08:35:21 AM »
0
This weekend, went to the Bronx Zoo to meet Levar Burton and did a test paint job for my Metroliners

IMG_0233_resize by one-sixty models, on Flickr


IMG_0234_resize by one-sixty models, on Flickr


IMG_0235_resize by one-sixty models, on Flickr

I used Testors Aluminum Metalizer in a rattle can.  with the exception of the metal flakes I like the way it came out.  Gonna try either Stainless Steel or Aluminum non-buff.

I am looking to match either Kato's Amfleet or B-mann's HHP/Acela's finish
“My deeds must be my life. When I am gone, they will speak for me.”- Stephen Girard

Modeling a modern Pennsylvania Railroad 1996-Present

ljudice

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3390
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +271
    • NS/CR Camp Car Models
Re: Weekend Update 6/17/12
« Reply #56 on: June 18, 2012, 10:24:05 AM »
0
https://louisjudice.com - Photography and my Amazing AI Music Videos

Bsklarski

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 673
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +6
    • B&M Conn River Line
Re: Weekend Update 6/17/12
« Reply #57 on: June 18, 2012, 10:25:14 AM »
0
Floquil OLD SILVER. I find it a nice match for that sort of thing. Anything Aluminium. It also works perfect for when I paint SAC aircraft from the 50s and 60s. It seems to be a good match to my eyes. Just do light coats and build it up.
Brian Sklarski
Engineer, New England Central Railroad

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Boston-Maine-Conn-River-Line/173358446076160

wazzou

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6812
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1736
Re: Weekend Update 6/17/12
« Reply #58 on: June 18, 2012, 11:23:15 AM »
0

I'm on a roll this weekend...

I've finally got started on the deck for my Heart River bridge.





Mike -
Where did you get the two hole cable stanchions for the bridge in the photo?
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA


rogergperkins

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 854
  • Gender: Male
  • Modeling the B&O in central IL in autumn of 1940's
  • Respect: 0
Re: Weekend Update 6/17/12
« Reply #59 on: June 18, 2012, 12:08:36 PM »
0
I think some of the non-hobby aerosol paints may not work well for n-scale rail cars because the pigments and/or resins are not milled AS finely as those in hobby paints.   :?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 04:45:02 PM by rogergperkins »