Author Topic: Weekend Update 6/17/12  (Read 16909 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

skytop35

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 810
  • Respect: +914
Re: Weekend Update 6/17/12
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2012, 09:00:31 AM »
0
In the case of the RS-3, it might be due to the fact that the carbody filter arrangement varied according to the customer.  On the CPR and PGE the carbody filters were all in a row.
Tim

That sounds like the phase II carbody.

This will be a Milwaukee Road unit. I still have to carve off the numberboards so I can mount angled ones. Must decided soon if I want to include the roof ducting.

I'm also thinking I may make a mold and do some castings as I want more than one and it's a pain in the you know where to file and sand off all the louvers on the doors.

Bill Denton

spookshow

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2174
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +2468
    • Model Railroading Projects & Resources
Re: Weekend Update 6/17/12
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2012, 10:40:05 AM »
0
I finished up some more heavyweights for my Rock Island Mid-Continent Special -















Cheers,
-Mark

MichaelWinicki

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2096
  • Respect: +335
Re: Weekend Update 6/17/12
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2012, 11:06:46 AM »
0

flight2000

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 795
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +370
Re: Weekend Update 6/17/12
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2012, 11:10:47 AM »
0
Finished another pair of SD70MAC's, this time for a friends ever growing line-up of INRD power.  Guess the real one isn't growing fast enough for him...  ;)





Then I also finished beating up another pair of 86' boxcars...







Brian
I've never met a covered hopper I didn't like.... :)
My (HO) NW Ohio Layout Feed: https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=57633.msg793742#msg793742

wazzou

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6812
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1736
Re: Weekend Update 6/17/12
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2012, 12:30:35 PM »
0
Working on a phase III RS-3. Why is it that everyone that makes an Alco Road Switcher does the phase I carbody?



Bill -

It would be awesome if you would cast that shell.  It's amazing even within the Northern Pacific's RS-3's, the variety of filter arrangements.
I'm not really up on my Alco phases, but the locations of the filters varied on NP units.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 12:33:24 PM by wazzou »
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA


mecgp7

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 746
  • Respect: +278
Re: Weekend Update 6/17/12
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2012, 02:49:31 PM »
0
I have posted a lot of stuff on other forums, but never here. This would be my 2nd post. I bashed a couple of  D&H U33Cs.  The first is out of an NSN U33C long hood, a Kato U30C cab and side sill and the nose from a Kato C30-7. It is not complete, but close enough for pics (I hope).


The second is a factory paint D&H Kato U30C in which I grafted the radiator wings from a Kato C30-7 shell. I wanted it to match the other Kato units so I only repainted the blue and added the yellow stripes:


Here she is with two other factory painted Katos:


Finally, I painted a Bachmann NE caboose to go with the D&H units:
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 02:56:27 PM by mecgp7 »

SecretWeapon

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 437
  • Respect: +41
Re: Weekend Update 6/17/12
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2012, 05:19:16 PM »
0
Those D&H units look great!
Mike

NARmike

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 157
  • "From the Land of the Mighty Peace"
  • Respect: +1
    • N Scale NAR
Re: Weekend Update 6/17/12
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2012, 06:24:39 PM »
0



I didn't like the results from last weekend's photos of the grain truck... the grain was too "cornish" :facepalm:

So... I redid it to look more like the wheat it's suposed to be with some ground up artist pastels (Having an artist wife with a bunch of really cool stuff comes in handy sometimes)



That looks a little more like it :D

By the way, the "Backdrop" is a print of a photo I took in '82 of one of the 5 grain elevators standing in Falher Alberta at the time. 3 Alberta Wheat Pool, 1 UGG and 1 Cargill.

Mike Maisonneuve
Modeling The Northern Alberta Railways' Peace River subdivision in N scale
http://nscalenar.blogspot.ca/
Mike Maisonneuve
Modelling the Northern Alberta Railways' Peace River subdivision in N scale

Bremner

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 450
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +1
Re: Weekend Update 6/17/12
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2012, 06:28:40 PM »
0
Clint, great work on those U-Boats!

Packer

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 742
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +1
Re: Weekend Update 6/17/12
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2012, 07:17:56 PM »
0
Here's some more progress shots on my GP5 build

The nose with the damaged area. Since I took the picture I've filled in the area with some putty, and sanded a bit so the nose doesn't look like it slopes backwards.

The front end. Still have some final filling and sanding before I primer the whole thing.

Here's a scab piece that is on the P2K cabs, but not on the Atlas cab. A step from a cannon and co set will be placed here.

I think this one is pretty close to the paint booth. I just have to buy some pieces from atlas, cannon steps, and modern cut levers. I have everything else.

As far as the Fs, I haven't made much progress other than drilling the holes for grabs on 2 of them. I bought 50 carbide #80 bits, and am down to 10. I'll stick with steel ones from now on...
Vincent

If N scale had good SD40-2s, C30-7s, U30Cs, SD45s, SD40s, and SW10s; I'd be in N scale.

Ed Kapuscinski

  • Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 26113
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +11617
    • Conrail 1285
Re: Weekend Update 6/17/12
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2012, 07:26:10 PM »
0
Today I helped in a small party, along with a bunch of fellow asshats to bring this to reality.

 http://rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=3067000

jereising

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 750
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +610
    • The Oakville Sub
Re: Weekend Update 6/17/12
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2012, 08:39:20 PM »
0
Here’s something different for me and for Oakville.  I’ve been asked to show more of the basement so folks can get a better feel for how the layout “works”.  So here we go:



This is the south room.  The Caliente crossovers are right center.  Staging is underneath.



A shot from further left.  CP Canyon is left center, the Caliente crossovers are below the cell tower.  You can see the staging schematic at right center.



We turn the camera 180 degrees and see the main room.  The Bealville crossovers are straight ahead and a bit right.  The bridge is out of view to the left.  You can see where the electronics for DCC are at left, and the bay to the right.  East Oakville and the east end of the yard are over the hills against the far wall.



Now we turn again looking back toward the south room and Caliente.  Wedding Cake Curve is at the right, the big fill is toward the center.  The desk with computer used for programming is this side of the door to the back yard.  Behind Wedding Cake curve you can see the bridged doorway to a utility/exercise room and the stairs to the first floor.  There’s a bathroom back there also.



We turn to the right and see the north room – the Oakville yard throat is behind the water tower.  The yard schematic is to the right, and you can see my work area (messy) below.



Now we’re in the north room looking back.  East Oakville is at left, Wedding Cake curve at right.



Finally we move forward and look right.  CP Cliff is straight ahead, Wedding Cake curve is left, and you can see the Bealville siding to the right.  I hope you’ve enjoyed this wide angle view of The Oakville Sub!
Jim Reising
Visit The Oakville Sub - A Different Tehachapi - at:
http://theoakvillesub.itgo.com/
And on Trainboard:
http://www.trainboard.com/grapevine/showthread.php?t=99466

Philip H

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 9028
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +1796
    • Layout Progress Blog
Re: Weekend Update 6/17/12
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2012, 08:55:04 PM »
0
Jim,
That is HAWT!!!!!!

 :o

 :ashat:

 :tommann:
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.


OaklandScottie

  • Guest
Re: Weekend Update 6/17/12
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2012, 09:07:56 PM »
0
Just like that, my D&RGW roster went from 2 to 8!  8)

New additions:
- 2 GP40
- 1 GP35
- 2 GP30
- 1 SD9

Plus one caboose i didnt know atlas ever released.

They need some touching up, then the weathering mayhem can begin!

Next I need some GP9s to potentially put together a MOW train, which i am having a tough time tracking down photos.

VirginaCSX

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 51
  • Respect: +1
Re: Weekend Update 6/17/12
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2012, 09:09:43 PM »
0
I wish my "basement" looked like that.  Nice work on the layout too!!