Author Topic: 1'2 Challenge?  (Read 20123 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

M.C. Fujiwara

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1344
  • Respect: +84
    • Silicon Valley Free-moN
Re: 1'2 Challenge?
« Reply #60 on: December 06, 2011, 06:59:42 PM »
0
Give a MR an inch, and he'll take it as a foot.
Give an a$$hat an inch...
(maybe that's another thread  :ashat:)
M.C. Fujiwara

coosvalley

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1427
  • Respect: +765
Re: 1'2 Challenge?
« Reply #61 on: December 12, 2011, 09:41:17 AM »
0
Quote
(...though I didn't say which dinner.)

Kraft Dinner? eh? eh?

Sorry, couldn't help myself.... :facepalm:

Ian MacMillan

  • Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 12034
  • Gender: Male
  • Learn to use the god damn search feature!
  • Respect: +167
    • Conrail's Amoskeag Northern Division
Re: 1'2 Challenge?
« Reply #62 on: December 12, 2011, 10:59:54 PM »
0
Chicken Dinnah?
I WANNA SEE THE BOAT MOVIE!

Yes... I'm in N... Also HO and 1:1

M.C. Fujiwara

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1344
  • Respect: +84
    • Silicon Valley Free-moN
Re: 1'2 Challenge?
« Reply #63 on: December 12, 2011, 08:57:28 PM »
0
So I want my 144sq" layout to be self-sufficent power-wise.
I don't want to hook up a big-a$$ power pack or install a DCC panel.
Just plug 'n play.
Direct Current off a wall wart with a single DPDT Center-Off toggle to move the single engine back & forth.

I remember going to trainshows as a youngster and playing with Timesavers that just had a DPDT switch to move the loco.
I saw at Radio Shack that they had some wall warts with variable voltage.
One had a range of 1.5V to 12V.
If I just hardwired that in, what voltage do I need to provide smooth switching ops?
I'm guessing 1.5V, 3V or 5V, but then my knowledge of things electrical barely prevent me from sticking a wet fork in a socket.
I just want the engine to creep and not get burnt.

Thanks for any / all info.

BTW: if I get the electrical solved, my "Gross Sq. Incher" is gonna rock yr socks off.
Consider the gauntlet (or sock) thrown down!
M.C. Fujiwara

pwnj

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 402
  • Gender: Male
  • The Resourceful Route!
  • Respect: +1
Re: 1'2 Challenge?
« Reply #64 on: December 13, 2011, 07:34:56 AM »
0
The problem is that it's going to be a different answer for different locomotives.  Can motors and open-frames will operate differently, etc.  If you got the one that has the multiple voltage options (like this one), you'll at least have a little flexibility. The other thing is that this will be "pure" DC, rather than pulse.  So if your motor is finicky, it may have a "I'm not goin' anywhere until I get this much, but I can be turned down to this much less once I get goin'" attitude.  This is where a pulse throttle (or power source) makes the difference (serious crawling action).  So, get the Shadio Rack power pack above and see if it does what you want.  If not, I can send you a very simple schematic for a pulse throttle that can take that adapter as a voltage source.

Blazeman

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1306
  • Respect: +65
Re: 1'2 Challenge?
« Reply #65 on: December 13, 2011, 11:52:18 AM »
0
Rest the posts of a 9 volt battery on the rails.

pwnj

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 402
  • Gender: Male
  • The Resourceful Route!
  • Respect: +1
Re: 1'2 Challenge?
« Reply #66 on: December 13, 2011, 12:20:04 PM »
0
If he was going to do that, he could still wire it up.  But he'll have the same problem.  I've got two dinky switchers that run at different speeds on a 9v battery.  One moves along nicely, the other flies. 

p.s.- And MC, you do realize that now I need to make mine run, too.

DKS

  • The Pitt
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 13424
  • Respect: +7027
Re: 1'2 Challenge?
« Reply #67 on: December 13, 2011, 12:37:14 PM »
0
These ought to suffice as a self-contained power-supply for competition layouts. Advertised for Z but should work fine for N.

http://www.stonebridgemodels.com/index.htm?c=elec

pwnj

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 402
  • Gender: Male
  • The Resourceful Route!
  • Respect: +1
Re: 1'2 Challenge?
« Reply #68 on: December 13, 2011, 12:43:18 PM »
0
Nice one.  Thanks for the tip, DKS.  The one I'm building (pulse throttle) is gonna cost about 5 bucks in parts, plus an old Model Power throttle (the rheostat broke, but the power supply part works great).
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 01:51:17 PM by pwnj »

wm3798

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 16564
  • Gender: Male
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +7455
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
Re: 1'2 Challenge?
« Reply #69 on: December 13, 2011, 01:43:37 PM »
0
I could probably dig up a 3 or 6 volt DC.  I've got a pile of them at the store...
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

M.C. Fujiwara

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1344
  • Respect: +84
    • Silicon Valley Free-moN
Re: 1'2 Challenge?
« Reply #70 on: December 15, 2011, 07:57:13 PM »
0
These ought to suffice as a self-contained power-supply for competition layouts. Advertised for Z but should work fine for N.

http://www.stonebridgemodels.com/index.htm?c=elec

Looks cool, and is the basic idea of what I'd like: a hand-held plug-in throttle.
But would the 9v z-scale thingy have enough "umph" to consistently power a 44-tonner up & down a (basically) 3" x 48" stretch?
Remember my knowledge of electronics is shockingly limited (mainly to shocking), but I thought "umph" decreased over distance.
M.C. Fujiwara

pwnj

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 402
  • Gender: Male
  • The Resourceful Route!
  • Respect: +1
Re: 1'2 Challenge?
« Reply #71 on: December 16, 2011, 01:23:40 AM »
0
Shouldn't significantly decrease as long as you use redundant feeders along the track.  It looks like a very nice little throttle.  But it doesn't say if it's a filtered/pure DC throttle, or a pulse one.  I'd ask that question before making a purchase.

M.C. Fujiwara

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1344
  • Respect: +84
    • Silicon Valley Free-moN
Re: 1'2 Challenge?
« Reply #72 on: December 16, 2011, 01:47:44 AM »
0
The user's manual says "Analog control: pulse width modulation (PWM)".
M.C. Fujiwara

pwnj

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 402
  • Gender: Male
  • The Resourceful Route!
  • Respect: +1
Re: 1'2 Challenge?
« Reply #73 on: December 16, 2011, 02:30:42 AM »
0
Amazing, a "man-u-al" you say?  Will wonders never cease.  Good, so that'll crawl like a bad mama jamma, and you won't have to solder or anything.  Generally, I would say that the 9v wouldn't be good for road use, but for a dinky little module, that ought to be perfect.  I'll keep checking my Christmas stocking for one, but if all I get is coal, I'll just build a steam engine out of chewing gum wrappers and duct tape...  ;)

Chris333

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 19627
  • Respect: +6939
Re: 1'2 Challenge?
« Reply #74 on: December 16, 2011, 02:42:26 AM »
0
That throttle from Stone Bridge models  goes by a few different names, but they are all the same. And I'm using it to power the trains in these 2 videos:
/>Using a Tech II up until 2:33 in the video, the rest is the snail controller.

And this is all snail controller:
/>
I hooked up a 9V power cord to it so I don't have to keep buying batteries.