Author Topic: Big Kato Announcement Coming????  (Read 25761 times)

Ryan87

• Crew
  • Stay thirsty my friend...
  • Respect: 0
Re: Big Kato Announcement Coming????
« Reply #180 on: October 02, 2010, 08:35:32 PM »
I'm finally gonna make my prediction.

A steamer, from Cleveland.

No Kato isn't re releasing the Intermountain Tunnel motors!
Swimming in a sea of Action Red...

CBQ Fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +345
« Reply #181 on: October 02, 2010, 10:10:36 PM »
Please no.  There's no reason not to do it correctly.  Please don't ruin it for those of us that do care!

A passenger train is much more than its paint scheme.  Each railroad specified its own equipment, its own accommodations, its own amenities, its own signature lounges, domes, diners, etc.  There's history there that should be honored with proper models.  Not just the same plastic blocks painted in whatever scheme-du-jour.

Since I am not going to take the time to scratch build one I am fine with close.  I have never seen a model 100% perfectly shrunk down anyway so there is no such thing as truly accurate.  Given a choice I would prefer they redo it just like they have all the other recent sets.  But if the choice is never than I can live with close.
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

ljudice

« Reply #182 on: October 02, 2010, 11:45:36 PM »
Ryan87 - re: your profile picture:

"I don't always run passenger trains. But when I do, I prefer Amtrak".

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #183 on: October 02, 2010, 11:52:17 PM »
Since I am not going to take the time to scratch build one I am fine with close.  I have never seen a model 100% perfectly shrunk down anyway so there is no such thing as truly accurate.  Given a choice I would prefer they redo it just like they have all the other recent sets.  But if the choice is never than I can live with close.

Here ya go, all done.

http://www.emperorofthenorth.com/rr/np.html

Jason

CBQ Fan

• Crew
« Reply #184 on: October 03, 2010, 01:24:10 PM »

Here ya go, all done.

http://www.emperorofthenorth.com/rr/np.html

Jason

For that price I will either paint it myself or buy two of something else.  That is just a kato set repainted.  As you can see I am a Burlington fan so I want a complete NCL as a background train for my Chicago based layout.  I had custom painted some Con-Cor NP a few years back and sold it on ebay.  I was shocked at what I cleared on most of it!
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +351
« Reply #185 on: October 03, 2010, 01:58:54 PM »
I'm with Sokwhatever, don't wish a bad train on those who really want it just because you don't need a foreground model. Folks who model the NP want precision just as much as those who model the Burlington and want a true replica of the Zephyrs. Don't put any bad ideas in Katos head.

But the announcements going to be for a Hiawatha anyway, so this is a moot point for the moment.  ;D
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

CBQ Fan

• Crew
« Reply #186 on: October 03, 2010, 04:33:28 PM »
I'm with Sokwhatever, don't wish a bad train on those who really want it just because you don't need a foreground model. Folks who model the NP want precision just as much as those who model the Burlington and want a true replica of the Zephyrs. Don't put any bad ideas in Katos head.

But the announcements going to be for a Hiawatha anyway, so this is a moot point for the moment.  ;D

Kato is going to do what Kato wants to do.  There is no putting our ideas in their heads!  Lets not get too impressed with ourselves here! 

It would be no worse than the EB.  A bad train is a Con-Cor train, when you have 10 different railroads and all the cars are identical.  Either way if Kato did the EB/UP cars in NP I am buying it!  If they do a specific, mostly accurate train like the El Cap, CZ, etc I would buy that also and be happier.  If they did the knock off and then some day they or someone else came out with a better model than I would up grade.  That is why the only Con-cor passenger cars on my layout are Burlington bi-levels.  I am not aware of anyone making a better version yet.....Hey WOT are you listening??

Again I am speaking to what I could see Kato doing and how I would spend my money.  I am not going to lie about what I would buy to make others happy.
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

Rossford Yard

• Crew
  • Respect: +144
« Reply #187 on: October 03, 2010, 07:50:33 PM »
CBQ,

There are those Japanese brass versions of the Chicago Bi Levels. At the prices, though, I also run Con Cor.

Hey, maybe Kato's announcement will be....there is no announcement this month!

CBQ Fan

• Crew
« Reply #188 on: October 03, 2010, 07:58:11 PM »
CBQ,

There are those Japanese brass versions of the Chicago Bi Levels. At the prices, though, I also run Con Cor.

Hey, maybe Kato's announcement will be....there is no announcement this month!

I had seen those at some point.  Very nice!  But your right, they come with a very nice price!  Perfect project for WOT, but I said that already!  Maybe doosy in Janpanese means were taking a month off!
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

Rossford Yard

• Crew
  • Respect: +144
« Reply #189 on: October 03, 2010, 10:07:11 PM »
All WOT has is the smooth sides, right? And the only ones left are undecs.  Time for a rerun IMHO.  Unless they think Kato will be matching their HO offerings with Bi Levels.

CBQ Fan

• Crew
« Reply #190 on: October 04, 2010, 06:28:26 PM »
All WOT has is the smooth sides, right? And the only ones left are undecs.  Time for a rerun IMHO.  Unless they think Kato will be matching their HO offerings with Bi Levels.

Yes, all WOT are smooth sides.  They need to go for the corrigated!
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

Nato

• Crew
  • Respect: +156
« Reply #191 on: October 05, 2010, 03:30:25 AM »
     As a longtime passenger train fanzee(have most of the Con Cor Limited Edition Sets)even if foobies,I still like my passenger trains to be more accurate if possible. I have a GN EB train made up of Con Cor GN cars, Kato smoothsides and cars usuing Brass car Sides sides on Con Cor cars and on a Bachmann Full dome car. Also one in Sky Blue scheme. Thank goodness Con Cor did NP scheme on their cars. I was able to get off an auction a custom painted NP train of Kato smooth sides, to this I added Con Cor Budd domes, and dome sleeper sides from Brass Car Sides,also Con Cor Duplex sleepers. Now I'am just waiting for Brass Car sides to do the NCL diner sides, but no cor kit is available in N with a Budd fluted roof. I must say though that a 15 car Umpire Builder (Empire) train even with all foob Kato smoothsides would be as impressive as my mostly correct one as the orange and green scheme is spectaculer. I closing this long post the modern Freedom Train to go with the GS 4 both Kato's and Con Cor's is what we are going to get. "No bout a doubt it." Nate Goodman (Nato). Salt Lake,Utah.

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +531
« Reply #192 on: October 06, 2010, 02:11:01 PM »

Puddington

• Crew
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +245
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
« Reply #193 on: October 06, 2010, 02:13:43 PM »
I guess the definition of "big" has gotten smaller..............
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

Mr. G

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #194 on: October 06, 2010, 03:16:39 PM »
I guess the definition of "big" has gotten smaller..............

Forget about it, Puddy, it's N scale
Quote from: TiVoPrince
Everything blends.  Just a general rule of model railroading...