Author Topic: Kato Gevo  (Read 18533 times)

u18b

• Crew
  • Respect: +1762
    • My website
Re: FOX VALLEY Gevos
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2009, 05:39:29 PM »
Hey!  That looks like the right cab for CSX too.

Correct Matt?

Ron Bearden
CSX N scale Archivist
http://u18b.com

"All get what they want-- not all like what they get."  Aslan the Lion in the Chronicles of Narnia by C.S.Lewis.

sundowner

• Crew
  • Respect: +103
Re: FOX VALLEY Gevos
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2009, 05:46:21 PM »
Hey!  That looks like the right cab for CSX too.

Correct Matt?

It looks like a CSX ES44DC, all it needs is the wide handrails. Like this

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1552652

« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 06:00:37 PM by sundowner »
Which ever side of the track I am on is the right side.

u18b

• Crew
    • My website
Re: Kato Gevo
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2009, 06:11:35 PM »
Aside from the walkway, that cab could go on the AC or the DC version.

Ahhhem.

When the GEVO was first announced, Matt was firm that there was going to be no CSX low numberboard version.  He was making the late high numberboard version, afterall.   So that was it.  There's only so much a small company can do.  (This frustration applied to that other road up north).  

People complained and belly-ached.  On and on and on.  Heated argument after heated argument on discussion boards.

Is it possible that Fox Vally Models listened to the market and responded?

And have they now created yet ANOTHER shell variation?????????

I wonder how many variations Kato will do?  (whistling...............)

« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 06:13:14 PM by u18b »
Ron Bearden
CSX N scale Archivist

"All get what they want-- not all like what they get."  Aslan the Lion in the Chronicles of Narnia by C.S.Lewis.

Bob Bufkin

• Crew
  • Respect: +44
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2009, 06:24:41 PM »
I sent an E-mail last week asking when he was going go do a CSX Gevo.  Haven't received a reply.  I model transition era but I have a few modern day things to run on other's layouts.  Beside I know a couple railfans that get pissed everytime they see another Gevo, so I'm also want want to just make them madder.

train1

• Crew
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2009, 09:29:40 PM »

Personally - I'm just happy someone remembers that we model up here also and throws us a bone once in a while.
 I guess we're really in the jackpot in 2010 with all this attention. Proto or not.

Robbman

• Crew
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2009, 11:48:56 PM »
Just waiting for the FVM CP Gevos here, would rather give my money to a manufacturer that worries about details and phases.

The FVM CP GEVO is actually wrong for most of CP GEVOS. The number board are in the wrong places.

It's not just the cab... like all other later phase GEVOS... the entire radiator compartment is different, from the top mounted shutters and grills for the wet radiator system, to the lower intake grills, etc.

POVC

• Crew
  • Respect: +25
« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2009, 11:52:49 PM »
Just waiting for the FVM CP Gevos here, would rather give my money to a manufacturer that worries about details and phases.

The FVM CP GEVO is actually wrong for most of CP GEVOS. The number board are in the wrong places.

Can't talk in absolutes when that road has not been announced yet:)

http://foxvalleymodels.com/pics.html

Was supposed to be a surprise for later....well "Surprise"

Wow!  So you're working on the low number board cab for CSX and CP after all...

Guess that means I'll have to order a bunch of CSX units when you announce them after all.

Thanks Matt!

Tim

oakcreekco

• Crew
  • Respect: +133
« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2009, 12:21:53 PM »

Quoted because it should be repeated. (and tacked to Kato's door)

Interesting time, and developments.

Kato, the giant......and benchmark for mechanism performance, doesn't "attack" or "respond" the North American loco market to the liking of many. Then........they announce a Gevo????

FVM, the new loco kid on the block, has a golden opportunity. Matt can establish that FVM offers locos that "run as well" and are "as quiet" as a Kato drive with his new Gevo line up. If this benchmark is met, then FVM's feet are firmly planted for success IMO.

Add to that, if Mark responds to "specific segments" of the loco market, then his "line up" is even more firmly planted, with potentially more sales from the "pickier" buyers..........those who insist that "phase" and "all details" must be correct.

David and Goliath situation for those thinking that a"Gevo War" has been started by Kato. There's room for both IMO, but Matt will have to work harder and smarter than ever.

A quality locomotive that's in demand by modelers will sell well. I would rather buy from a company that worries about detail and phases too, but the loco must be an outstanding product in every way.

It's a good time for N scale modern power.
A "western modeler" that also runs NS.

BCR 570

• Crew
  • Respect: +3527
    • BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2009, 01:11:21 PM »
I realize that it is a competitive marketplace, but it is a little disappointing to see Kato produce a locomotive which will already be available in N Scale.  I am sure that Matt selected a locomotive not otherwise available for his first foray into N Scale motive power.  I hope that his sales will not be adversely affected.  For many it will undoubtedly come down to quality, price, and available variations for their prototype.

Tim
T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3MbxkZkx7zApSYCHqu2IYQ

Kev1340

« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2009, 03:36:55 PM »
it is a little disappointing to see Kato produce a locomotive which will already be available in N Scale........  For many it will undoubtedly come down to quality, price, and available variations for their prototype.

Tim

A situation that seems to occur far too often sadly. The 'winner' will certainly be decided as you suggest.

I'm in the 'lucky' position that the version I want - CN - has not yet been announced (though Mark has I believe stated he will be doing CN) so I can wait for you guyts to review the two versions before I commit.

Gut feeling? I'll be going with Fox.

Cheers,

Kev

u18b

• Crew
    • My website
« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2009, 04:10:36 PM »
What happened with the FT?

Over supply with two quality makers.

Even though the list price is still pretty high, you can find them pretty cheap.

So, in a way, the consumer won with lower prices, maybe we didn't win in the long run if companies can't make long term profits.
I'm not sure if either MT or IM had to dump FTs, but they sure can be found for way way under list price on the auction site.

Ron Bearden
CSX N scale Archivist

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #41 on: October 24, 2009, 04:32:58 PM »
What happened with the FT?

Over supply with two quality makers.

Even though the list price is still pretty high, you can find them pretty cheap.

So, in a way, the consumer won with lower prices, maybe we didn't win in the long run if companies can't make long term profits.
I'm not sure if either MT or IM had to dump FTs, but they sure can be found for way way under list price on the auction site.

I think the customer lost with IMR winning out.  Looking at the parts sheet MTL had more body styles planned including large numberboards.  And did IMR do a 5 window version?  MTL had those on the parts sheet too.

Jason

nscalesteve

« Reply #42 on: October 24, 2009, 04:38:41 PM »
but it is a little disappointing to see Kato produce a locomotive which will already be available in N Scale...

Tim, I assume that Kato was already working on the GEVO project when FVM did annouce their GEVO...
...after all they already have had a lot of parts for the GEVO available from their AC4400CW

(certified KATO nut with seven (7) FVM GEVOs on order...)

Erik W

• Crew
  • Respect: +715
« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2009, 05:29:37 PM »
I think the reality, with Kato's track record, is you'll see more offered in regards to road names and frequency of releases from FVM when compared to Kato's usual trickle.  I imagine Matt's business model, when it comes to producing and selling these, is quite different than Kato's.

Erik

u18b

• Crew
    • My website
« Reply #44 on: October 24, 2009, 08:01:50 PM »
I think the reality, with Kato's track record, is you'll see more offered in regards to road names and frequency of releases from FVM when compared to Kato's usual trickle.  I imagine Matt's business model, when it comes to producing and selling these, is quite different than Kato's.

Erik

But that's the big unknown here.  Maybe not.

Many are going to buy the Kato just because of the Kato name and quality.

So Fox may offer the odd small road names, but the big road names may be filled by the Kato buying public.
Who knows?  At least they will eat into his profits quite a bit.

And of course Kato wants to make a profit too.

The point is-- our market might not be large enough to support two quality makers at the same time.

Ron Bearden
CSX N scale Archivist