Author Topic: Whats on the Bench  (Read 13167 times)

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +814
Whats on the Bench
« on: March 19, 2006, 09:42:46 AM »
Ok ... whats everyone working on?

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +814
Re: Whats on the Bench
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2006, 09:48:06 AM »
In my case, I was unhappy with the mainline on the M&O, so about 3 weeks ago, I took down about 25% of the lower deck, and started a rebuild .. so far, things are going really well. The section was rebuilt with clean, fresh lumber, rather than the salvaged stuff I had used before. I am also instituting some new standards with this section .. the min mainline curve is 18", with the majority 22 or 24". Wiring will be #14 stranded bus wire, and all mainline turnouts are powered by Tortoise switch machines which will be loconet controlled.. I am also pre-wiring each block section for detection and signaling, with the several thousand feet of CAT 5 cable I salvaged from my office renovation. The cabling will run thru the benchwork, rather than underneath. I am drilling holes in the bench work to accomodate the cable runs. Each section of sub roadbed is supported by a riser 1 foot apart.

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +2332
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2006, 10:14:36 AM »
Last night I went out to the Man Cave (my wonderful old garage) and cleaned off the work table.  I have one of those magnificent work shop tables that came from the old Vo-Tech school when they tore it down.  5' square maple top, four bench vises, and yes, even lockers underneath!

The stated objective is to get some more screens and shutters painted, but the ulterior motive is to get ready to start on the Cumberland section of the layout. 8)

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

Skip

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2006, 10:58:37 AM »
Well, since my Walthers Moderen Roundhouse, with the add-ons arrived this week, I am starting the painting and assembly process.  I just checked (now that I actually have it) and the 9 stall version will fit fine where I want it.  Although it is molded in appropriate colors, I am going to paint the windows and "mortar" and weather the walls before I glue it together.  I will also probably paint the floor either black or dark gray since I believe it is too light for my tastes, and what I think a floor in a roundhouse would look like. 

Also, I am finishing up the installation of the ditch lights on my MP15.

oakcreekco

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2006, 11:27:26 AM »
Doing some decal work on my Dash 9 SP's. Rubbing some factory numbers off, and putting on some new ones ;D along with numberboards and some data decals.

So far so good!
A "western modeler" that also runs NS.

Wlal13again

• Crew
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2006, 11:47:02 AM »
Picked up a Walthers Parkview Terrace and it fit perfectly into that odd spot on my layout. I`m painting and weathering it right now.
You`ll never find a Philly cheese steak on a menu in Philadelphia. It`s called a cheesesteak and we all know where it`s from...

3rdrail

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2006, 12:03:44 PM »
What's on the bench? A lotta sawdust from drilling holes and attaching screws and bolts on the model railroad above it right now!  ;D ;D ;D

MEC_FAN

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2006, 12:33:46 PM »
Numbering some un-numbered Guilford units for a freind.
MEC_FAN

I love the smell of pulpwood in the morning!!

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
  • Respect: +906
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2006, 12:38:44 PM »
  • CR/ex PRR Ps2 car for Feb Challenge
  • 89' flat for March Challenge (maybe a twin 45' with two chicago trailers)
  • Soo Line Gon (z scale)
  • SP MP15 (UP patch)
  • Ongoing MILW MP15 project
  • and a bunch more...

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +3338
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2006, 01:08:38 PM »
Tom...Z scale? I thought I was safe!

I have a 2-8-0 on "the bench" in a Zillion pieces. Also tore my Atlas shay apart and ground half of the metal body off of it on a start to convert it to a 42 ton locomotive. The shay project will fail or succeed depending on if Atlas ever gets parts. I need to move the whole "engine" back so the front drive shaft needs to be longer.

And then I started a little Z scale layout  ::)

Zox

• Crew
  • Respect: +2
    • Lord Zox's Home Page
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2006, 01:56:33 PM »
I'm building a new leg unit for my loop module, hopefully one that will be lighter and easier to set up. I may have pictures for the Weekend Update later, depending on how much progress I make.

I was going to try to make the BanTrak meeting today, but with the cold I've got right now it's probably better if I keep my germs to myself for a while. :(
Rob M., a.k.a. Zox
z o x @ v e r i z o n . n e t
http://lordzox.com/
It is said a Shaolin chef can wok through walls...

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +1019
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2006, 03:11:26 PM »
Adding mud flap , licence plates , drive shafts , painting , about 50 trucks/trailers from UNS as well as others . Microscale decals from their sign series have been assigned as well as others . Been doing this for about 3 weeks now . Getting close to the decal stage , as well as getting tired of this whole project , but it will be nice to finally get this done . I still have a ton of other vehicles to do , but I think I will shift gears for awhile .   

NYC

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2006, 03:47:46 PM »
Working on my little layout. I elevated the line about one inch or so and ripped out the yard. I lowered the yard about a 1/2 inch or so just enough that the yard can now run  under the main. I have to relay the yard and work on a curved styrene bridge.

SirTainly

• Crew
  • Respect: +15
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2006, 03:58:26 PM »
SDL39
Brake Sled
FP45
RSD15

Catt

• Crew
  • Respect: +37
    • Boylerwerx
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2006, 05:08:51 PM »
On my workbench? Well there are TTRAK modules,and N scale tractors and trailers from ATLAS,ConCor,and MT.The tractors and trailers are getting details added,decals being put on and in some cases paint being put on.
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
Sole owner of the
Grande Valley Railway
100% Michigan made