Author Topic: Whats on the Bench  (Read 16274 times)

lock4244

• Crew
  • Respect: +576
    • My train pics
Re: Whats on the Bench
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2006, 12:45:11 PM »
No workbench... no layout. I guess the first item for me to get working on is to buy a house to put the workbench (and layout) in! I gotta say that I admire and envy those of you how post pic's of you layouts and equipment, much talent out there. But I mostly envy those of you with layouts! Mine has been gone for more than 5 years now and my condo (read shoebox) is too small to live in, let alone build a layout in.

Thinking of getting some Kato Unitrack to at least test run some of my new locomotives... yeah, that's my next project  :D

pnolan48

• Crew
  • Respect: +136
    • N Scale Ships
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2006, 05:40:48 PM »
Another small N scale ship--a 136-foot wooden minesweeper. These were kinda funky in the hull, which made it a good subject. I used a built-up styrene construction rather than carving a wooden hull. It's practice. I had started a styrene 600-foot freighter, but that was too ambitious. I'm scratc building almost everything here.

Iain

• Crew
  • Na sgrìobhaidh a Iain
  • Respect: +345
    • The Best Puppers
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2006, 05:43:09 PM »
I may eventually do a Confederate Ironclad.
Thanks much,
Mairi Dulaney, RHCE
Member, Free Software Foundation and Norfolk Southern Historical Society

http://jdulaney.com

KelNScale

« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2006, 08:40:01 PM »
Another small N scale ship--a 136-foot wooden minesweeper. These were kinda funky in the hull, which made it a good subject. I used a built-up styrene construction rather than carving a wooden hull. It's practice. I had started a styrene 600-foot freighter, but that was too ambitious. I'm scratc building almost everything here.

Pete, I sent pictures of a couple of the ships you did to a fellow that was involved in the design of those ships. He was very impressed.

Kel

pnolan48

• Crew
  • Respect: +136
    • N Scale Ships
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2006, 10:17:39 PM »

Pete, I sent pictures of a couple of the ships you did to a fellow that was involved in the design of those ships. He was very impressed.

Kel

I'd be interested to know who that was.

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2875
« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2006, 05:35:09 PM »
No workbench... no layout. I guess the first item for me to get working on is to buy a house to put the workbench (and layout) in! I gotta say that I admire and envy those of you how post pic's of you layouts and equipment, much talent out there. But I mostly envy those of you with layouts! Mine has been gone for more than 5 years now and my condo (read shoebox) is too small to live in, let alone build a layout in.

Thinking of getting some Kato Unitrack to at least test run some of my new locomotives... yeah, that's my next project  :D

I lived for the longest time with a 2x4' layout while I was still in the Navy

Iain

• Crew
  • Na sgrìobhaidh a Iain
  • Respect: +345
    • The Best Puppers
« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2006, 07:00:16 PM »

I painted my babyface black to be sure that I had everything done.  A couple of minor scratches and such to fill, but otherwise ready.

Tell me what y'all think.
Thanks much,
Mairi Dulaney, RHCE
Member, Free Software Foundation and Norfolk Southern Historical Society

http://jdulaney.com

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2875
M&O Press Release
« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2006, 07:50:36 PM »
The Maryland and Ohio Railroad today announced the completion of Phase 1 of the rebuild of the Eastern Subdivision. Track crews completed restoring the mainline today, re-routing and and rebuilding approximately 6 scale miles of railroad in a three week period. This $87.54 project consisted of substantial re-routing of double track mainline, the installation of two double crossovers, and installing 4 crossings of the Cheat River tributary, the Mistress Creek. Re-routing of the mainline also allowed the railroad to take advantage of an old viaduct, which required only minor maintenance for re-use. Trains are currently limited to 25 mph over the new territory until the crews complete ballasting and lineside wiring.

Phase 2 will find track gangs completing ballasting, the addition of powered cross over linkages, eliminating the need for 3 manned towers.

Phase 3 will consist of the installation of CTC and signalling.

J. Berger,
Superintendent
Baltimore Service Lane
Maryland and Ohio Railroad

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
  • Respect: +996
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2006, 08:39:40 AM »
  • CR/ex PRR Ps2 car for Feb Challenge
  • 89' flat for March Challenge (maybe a twin 45' with two chicago trailers)
  • Soo Line Gon (z scale)
  • SP MP15 (UP patch)
  • Ongoing MILW MP15 project
  • and a bunch more...

I want to keep this thread going because it's neat to see what we do vs. what we put off.  My current projects

• CR/ex PRR Ps2 car for Feb Challenge (done and sold on ebay)
  • Cement Hopper Prototype (done, photographed, needs to be sent back to Brian)
  • 89' flat for March Challenge (maybe a twin 45' with two chicago trailers) (In progress)
  • Soo Line Gon (z scale) (In progress: lowered, and one side complete)
  • SP MP15 (UP patch) (In progress: patch decals applied, no weathering or graffiti yet)
  • Ongoing MILW MP15 project (postponed:  want to backdate it so it was MILW heralds)
  • Three GE 44-tonners (not started)
  • Eight cars to weather (2 Complete)
  • One WP boxcar (almost Complete)
  • Magazine Article (in progress)
  • 6 Athearn Pup trailers (1 complete, all have base weathering)

See, it's fun to be in Model Railroading without the hassle of having a layout. :D

SirTainly

• Crew
  • Respect: +54
« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2006, 08:48:21 AM »
SDL39
Brake Sled
FP45
RSD15

SDL39 (detailled, half painted)
Brake Sled (awaiting paint and decals)
FP45 (awaiting details, paints, decals and decoder)
RSD15 (awaiting details, paints, decals and decoder)
GE44 (awaiting chassis)
GP35 Cab Control Car (awaiting details, paints and decals and decoder)
Class 90 Nn3 (awaiting chassis)

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +7846
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2006, 09:20:22 AM »
Two GP40-2s in various states of dissasembly. Yes, they're decorated models, but with the wrong anti-climbers, and that just bugs me!
One is numbered already (because Louis rocks!) and one is unnumbered.

Once I get them done, there's another SD50 that needs some details and a coat of blue.

Oh, and that Black River & Western RS1. Where did I put those research photos again...?

TiVoPrince

• Crew
  • Respect: +3
    • http://www.technologywrangler.com
« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2006, 09:38:43 AM »
Waiting around
to spray some black paint to complete some GP38s.  Also watching my mailbox for an Atlas GP9 dynamic body and frame to repair a "famous finishing error" on a project for a WAY too patient customer...
Support fine modeling

randgust

« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2006, 11:23:57 AM »
As of May 1....

Lots of Climax A parts, kits, scrap, shrapnel....  two more built-ups in progress.  Resin casting is the messiest thing I've ever seen in my life.  I'm going to need a Superfund grant when I'm done.

An SW1, the new hot project.

A U30CG, now that I finally got the right trucks.  Such a beast compared to what I've been working on lately.

Way in the back, a Porter 0-6-4......

Back in my head, building the 'right' Commercial Hotel for Flagstaff...

KelNScale

« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2006, 11:46:29 AM »
I'm concerned that my chair (an office chair with wheels) will be hard on the laminate.  Anyone have experience?

Most would have problems. Check with a good flooring guy, he can give you a good idea.

I'm also considering lights for the bench.  I recall a brand of bench lights called "Ott Lights" that were supposed to be close to daylight.  Anyone ever try these?

I use GE Reveal lightbulbs, which are close and alot cheaper. But remember, you should match the lights in both the layout room and workbench. Things will look funny when you change lighting.

Kel

sillystringtheory

« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2006, 03:11:53 PM »
Realized that the "bench" is what is keeping me from progressing on my layout so I cut bach on the amount of detail work I have been doing since I did the two Red Roof Inns.
Having said this, I cleared the bench of all things railroad and started on another Revell Of Germany 1/72 Scale German Type VIIC U-Boat. This time with the matching crew and brass photo etched detail parts kit.
I won't sell this one this time for any price. The last one I did won a local model contest and then before I could take it home with the trophy, I let some dude talk me out of it for a price that I am ashamed of.