Author Topic: Teaser video from KatoUSA  (Read 5592 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

randgust

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3251
  • Respect: +2944
    • Randgust N Scale Kits
Re: Teaser video from KatoUSA
« Reply #45 on: January 29, 2026, 01:52:25 PM »
0
Hey, I'm all in favor of anyone making about anything that isn't $45 a car now, particularly something that normally comes in unit-train sizes.   

It's nice to have some really super individual cars, but if you're doing a current unit crude train, these are the cars.  Normal train is 90 plus buffers.   Modern day coal hoppers and container wells.  You want solid track performance.

And to keep the thread drift alive, I've never had issues with Katos uncoupling, only with trying to get them to mate with non-Katos.   My Kato passenger cars have had no issues, but stick an MT car in there and the only way to couple those is to drop them together vertically, a PITA.

cjm413

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1533
  • Respect: +187
Re: Teaser video from KatoUSA
« Reply #46 on: January 29, 2026, 03:06:52 PM »
0
They are probably realizing with how the market is, there is suddenly a space for lighter detail middle of a long train type cars. Wouldn't be surprised if this was followed up a similar release of modern Gondolas, Autoracks, more Hoppers, Etc.

I've heard rumors about a Trinity 5161, which seems counterintuitive given IMRC and Exactrail have already done them...

dem34

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1883
  • Gender: Male
  • Only here to learn through Osmosis
  • Respect: +1451
Re: Teaser video from KatoUSA
« Reply #47 on: January 29, 2026, 07:24:59 PM »
0
I've heard rumors about a Trinity 5161, which seems counterintuitive given IMRC and Exactrail have already done them...

Exactrail as of 2009 and unobtanium, and Intermountain a few years ago for the $35-$40 range.
If they can get a Tank Car for this price point, there will probably be demand for Hoppers at a similar price point.
-Al

cjm413

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1533
  • Respect: +187
Re: Teaser video from KatoUSA
« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2026, 01:58:23 PM »
0
Exactrail as of 2009 and unobtanium, and Intermountain a few years ago for the $35-$40 range.
If they can get a Tank Car for this price point, there will probably be demand for Hoppers at a similar price point.

Keep in mind that Exactrail's model was designed to be "budget friendly" vs the IMRC model, and Scale Trains purchased Exactrail.

Olivani

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 132
  • Respect: +73
Re: Teaser video from KatoUSA
« Reply #49 on: February 01, 2026, 02:44:03 AM »
0
I've heard rumors about a Trinity 5161... 

Yes, please, I hope this isn't just a rumor...

...I hope the tank cars sell well and the Trinity 8-car sets are next   :D
Oliver "tongue in cheek" Vani

cjm413

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1533
  • Respect: +187
Re: Teaser video from KatoUSA
« Reply #50 on: February 01, 2026, 02:29:38 PM »
+1
Yes, please, I hope this isn't just a rumor...

...I hope the tank cars sell well and the Trinity 8-car sets are next   :D

They really should make something that could also be used as a buffer car for those tank cars, also something they could put in a starter set vs JNR cars in North American paint...

EspeeGoldenState

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 665
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +138
    • Modern Southern Pacific
Re: Teaser video from KatoUSA
« Reply #51 on: February 01, 2026, 10:57:20 PM »
0
Looks like all the build dates are for 2025. That's too bad, kinda limits the scope to people that dont care or pretty much contemporary modern modelers.

https://katousa.com/greenbrier-30500-gallon-dot-117-tank-car/
GBRX Set A:
#719717, #719737, #719745, #719776, #719777, #719779, #719782, #719782

GBRX Set B:
#719710, #719724, #719736, #719742, #719751, #719758, #719770, #719775
Attempting to model a modern Southern Pacific based in 2015/2016...

Also, I have a passenger train addiction...

wes_sutton

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 619
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +474
    • http://www.users.bigpond.com/grms
Re: Teaser video from KatoUSA
« Reply #52 on: February 02, 2026, 04:22:52 AM »
+8
Looks like all the build dates are for 2025. That's too bad, kinda limits the scope to people that dont care or pretty much contemporary modern modelers.

https://katousa.com/greenbrier-30500-gallon-dot-117-tank-car/
GBRX Set A:
#719717, #719737, #719745, #719776, #719777, #719779, #719782, #719782

GBRX Set B:
#719710, #719724, #719736, #719742, #719751, #719758, #719770, #719775

Those that "don't care" are the ones that give the hobby its critical mass. Worth remembering occasionally.



Olivani

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 132
  • Respect: +73
Re: Teaser video from KatoUSA
« Reply #53 on: February 02, 2026, 04:55:48 AM »
+5
Looks like all the build dates are for 2025. That's too bad, kinda limits the scope to people that dont care or pretty much contemporary modern modelers.

Or just put modelling back into model rail road and change it, at $15.75 a tank car it is well worth it  :o

There was a time when I really cared, nowadays my eyesight isn't as good as it once has been and despite the fact that I know some info is wrong, if I can't see it, how would I know or care   :D :scared: :facepalm:
Oliver "tongue in cheek" Vani

cjm413

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1533
  • Respect: +187
Re: Teaser video from KatoUSA
« Reply #54 on: February 02, 2026, 03:21:21 PM »
+2
Or just put modelling back into model rail road and change it, at $15.75 a tank car it is well worth it  :o

There was a time when I really cared, nowadays my eyesight isn't as good as it once has been and despite the fact that I know some info is wrong, if I can't see it, how would I know or care   :D :scared: :facepalm:

Putting modeling back into model railroad means making a determination as to how far back these cars can be backdated.

Off the top of my head, I don't know exactly how much wiggle room that any that wants an earlier prototype has to work with prior to the 2025 build dates that Kato selected for this release.  For whatever it is worth, the DOT117 specs date back to 2015, but that doesn't account for any changes in production between 2015-2025, orders by different owners, etc.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2026, 03:49:57 PM by cjm413 »

thomasjmdavis

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 4376
  • Respect: +1268
Re: Teaser video from KatoUSA
« Reply #55 on: February 02, 2026, 04:15:24 PM »
+2
Looks like all the build dates are for 2025. That's too bad, kinda limits the scope to people that dont care or pretty much contemporary modern modelers.

https://katousa.com/greenbrier-30500-gallon-dot-117-tank-car/
GBRX Set A:
#719717, #719737, #719745, #719776, #719777, #719779, #719782, #719782

GBRX Set B:
#719710, #719724, #719736, #719742, #719751, #719758, #719770, #719775

Well, the prototype hit the market in 2021, so a 2025 build date is not out of the expected.  Personally, I'd rather see a car with a build date prior to 1956, but I'm not the only modeler, and there have been quite a few over the years that fit my range.  And AFAIK, nobody else has done a DOT 117 compliant tank car, so Kato taking that on as a project is probably welcome by those modeling contemporary railroading.

Is the Kato "30500" model actually the Greenbrier 30600 prototype?  That's what I found when I went looking. https://www.gbrx.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/01/30600-Gallon-DOT-117-Tank-Car.pdf
Tom D.

I gave up rivet counting when I couldn't see an N scale rivet anymore.

Scottl

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 5306
  • Respect: +2619
Re: Teaser video from KatoUSA
« Reply #56 on: February 02, 2026, 05:59:08 PM »
+2
These will serve on my 2018 layout.  They sure beat the Atlas cars for a modern look.

basementcalling

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3922
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +1056
Re: Teaser video from KatoUSA
« Reply #57 on: February 02, 2026, 07:24:25 PM »
+7
Not every N scaler needs every detail perfect to be happy to buy a car. Used to be guys who wanted more detail would add individual grabs or brake detail, but manufacturers started adding that level  and raising prices to match the additional assembly requirements. Nice to see Kato trying to find a middle ground, perhaps?
Peter Pfotenhauer

Scottl

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 5306
  • Respect: +2619
Re: Teaser video from KatoUSA
« Reply #58 on: February 02, 2026, 07:42:36 PM »
+4
I agree.  Really, these are value priced, and they look great.  Kato builds great products so I have reason to believe they will be an excellent product.

People should complain about the $40+ cars that still need new couplers, have pieces falling off and need to be pre-ordered.

Oh, wait.  This is TRW.  People complain about those too  :trollface:

peteski

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 35286
  • Gender: Male
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +6647
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: Teaser video from KatoUSA
« Reply #59 on: February 03, 2026, 10:43:17 AM »
+3
I agree.  Really, these are value priced, and they look great.  Kato builds great products so I have reason to believe they will be an excellent product.

People should complain about the $40+ cars that still need new couplers, have pieces falling off and need to be pre-ordered.

And don't forget all those glue stains around those fine details are individually applied on those very well-detailed models. Sometimes the shiny glue spots are not even close to the actual detail parts.  :facepalm:
. . . 42 . . .