Author Topic: Interurbans are trains too  (Read 3382 times)

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +847
    • Layout Progress Blog
Re: Interurbans are trains too
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2021, 09:21:13 AM »
someday these will be available in N scale:

http://bowser-trains.com/new/nostreetcar.html
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +181
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2021, 10:15:11 AM »
someday these will be available in N scale:

http://bowser-trains.com/new/nostreetcar.html

Bowser's current ownership will have to pass before it does, as his responses to N scale production has been less than enthusiastic.
Now seeking Pacific NW N scalers to create a Modutrak-style modular club featuring NP's shared mainline between Seattle and Portland. PM me if interested.

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +847
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2021, 10:53:47 AM »

Bowser's current ownership will have to pass before it does, as his responses to N scale production has been less than enthusiastic.

I don't need it from Bowser.

And shapeways has a few shells that MIGHT work but none are of this prototype
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

sd45elect2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +289
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2021, 11:11:11 AM »
I don't need it from Bowser.

And shapeways has a few shells that MIGHT work but none are of this prototype

I agree that at some point these models of the New Orleans cars will probably be available. I have been so very lucky I found some friends that have the drawing skills to design rare models. I never imagined having what I currently have and the equipment that is currently available.

Although my interest is primarily the Milwaukee cars I do have an appreciation of cars from other systems. I hope that someday you get your cars .

https://www.shapeways.com/product/F6KVKQ2CK/tmer-l-m-15-double-plow?optionId=208803175&li=marketplace

I never imagined having these. I have a real soft spot for trolley freight. This car was the car I grew up watching in my home town.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
« Last Edit: April 15, 2021, 11:52:03 AM by sd45elect2000 »

Sokramiketes

• Crew
  • Better modeling through peer pressure...
  • Respect: +428
    • Modutrak
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2021, 11:27:00 AM »
+6
Thanks.  Here's the TMER&L Belt Line bridge over the Milw at Waterford Ave.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2021, 11:29:41 AM by Sokramiketes »

sd45elect2000

• Crew
« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2021, 11:56:54 AM »
Thanks.  Here's the TMER&L Belt Line bridge over the Milw at Waterford Ave.
(Attachment Link)

You certainly captured the look of the Lakeside Belt line !!

sd45elect2000

• Crew
« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2021, 07:24:05 AM »
+2

Interurban dining cars are rare but the North Shore had them for the morning lunch and dinner patrons. One of my favorite paint schemes.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +2702
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2021, 05:40:08 PM »
That is some excellent modeling Randy. Why weren't you showing those to us earlier?
. . . 42 . . .

sd45elect2000

• Crew
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2021, 07:03:04 AM »
+2
That is some excellent modeling Randy. Why weren't you showing those to us earlier?

I'm glad you like my stuff. There are a couple reasons I didn't share here. First these are what I would consider "fringe" modeling. They are specific to one small region(s) in the US and a very defined time period. They don't have a curb appeal of a super chief.

Second, The modelers here that have talent and skills far beyond my own, I don't compare to many on here. (notice lack of handrails on my models for example).

Third, I'm not finished with most of my layout sections. I got one pretty much done but there are 14 to go..

Angus Shops

• Crew
  • Respect: +126
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2021, 12:06:14 PM »
+2
I'm glad you like my stuff. There are a couple reasons I didn't share here. First these are what I would consider "fringe" modeling. They are specific to one small region(s) in the US and a very defined time period. They don't have a curb appeal of a super chief.

Second, The modelers here that have talent and skills far beyond my own, I don't compare to many on here. (notice lack of handrails on my models for example).

Third, I'm not finished with most of my layout sections. I got one pretty much done but there are 14 to go..

(Attachment Link)
I think we (collectively, as in the TRW community) need to call BS on this.

1.   Your models are no more ‘fringe’ than a lot of other stuff that goes on around here, and every bit as appealing as the Super Chief

2.   Your modelling skills are top notch. It’s a lot harder to create even passable models (and yours are way beyond passable) when there is absolutely no support from major manufactures and you need cobble together everything on your own.

3.    The number of RW members who are “finished with most of my layout” can be counted on one hand. Half the fun is to watch as others create their layouts. What you’ve shown us looks pretty amazing; tell us about the next module you’ve got planned.

Finally, it’s the variety of interests that makes the hobby great and TRW is a great supporter of all the ‘fringes’.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2021, 12:09:22 PM by Angus Shops »

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2021, 12:59:00 PM »
Yeah Randy, this "fringe modeling" is BS!

Hey, If I  post a photo of a German prototype model and nobody has problems wit that.  What about Lee's Retro-Layout?  There is no super-detailing on it, and the TRW membership loves it.  Besides, not everybody is a "master modeler". We see (especially in the Weekend Update, but also in other sections) a whole range of modeling skills being displayed.  No handrails?  Who cares - paint jobs are good, and the fact that theses are models not mass-produced RTR items all make them worthy of being seen.  What about that lengthy thread about N scale military vehicles?  I would consider that more "fringe" than interurbans (how many of us model military vehicles?), yet it is a "hot" thread.  Your photo skills also ale quite good (again I've seen much worse here and nobody was kicked off TRW for that).

Also, even if you were a real fringe modeler, remember that TRW *IS* the forum for fringe modeling.  :D

« Last Edit: April 17, 2021, 01:21:48 PM by peteski »
. . . 42 . . .

ncbqguy

• Crew
  • Respect: +206
« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2021, 02:26:33 PM »
+1
Seems to me that Traction Modeling is a hugely neglected segment of our Hobby.
While there is the problem of the diversity of prototype interurbans, there are some freight engines, interurban passenger cars and streetcars that were used by companies across North America.
One doesn’t have to model traction to get into it.....a siding interchanging with a interurban line or a loop of streetcar track can fit into any pre-second generation diesel railroad.  Jump ahead to the “light rail” era and it comes back to many areas.
TTRAK was invented in Japan (contrary to what has been claimed in the US) for urban traction modeling and has evolved into tabletop modular railroading. In the US it was introduced as a quasi-craft project but has evolved into an alternative to schlepping NTRAK modules.   
Stringing overhead trolley wiring is not difficult but we need a mainstream source of working trolley poles and pantograph for new models and retrofitting existing ones.
I think a manufacturer who offered a General Electric or Baldwin center cab motor with the right informative advertising would be pleasantly surprised with sales for this untouched (beyond the Bachmann PCC, Brill Trolley, and Peter Witt) market.
Charlie Vlk

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2021, 10:31:27 PM »
TTRAK was invented in Japan (contrary to what has been claimed in the US) for urban traction modeling and has evolved into tabletop modular railroading. In the US it was introduced as a quasi-craft project but has evolved into an alternative to schlepping NTRAK modules.   

Not sure who says that T-Trak was invented in USA. As I understood, NTRAK's "father" Jim FitzGerald and his wife Lee we invited to Japan to attend a model convention, and that's where Lee was introduced to the the small table-top modules utilizing Kato's Unitrack (yes, usually depicting interurban train).  She really liked the concept and spearheaded the process of  introducing it into U.S.  While the modules originated in Japan, I believe the name T-TRAK was coined in this country (by Lee?), since it was very similar to NTRAK.

Wikipedia confirms that the module standard originated in Japan. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T-Trak
Much more detailed history of T-TRAK is at https://www.ntrak.org/T-TRAK-History
. . . 42 . . .

sd45elect2000

• Crew
« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2021, 07:26:25 AM »
+2
Thanks everyone, I'm glad you like my trolleys !! I'll continue posting photo's here.

I have a module I'm building that is not so much rural as this one. I'm trying some new techniques for the street running portions.

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +363
« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2021, 10:13:06 AM »
Very nice models! Do any of you have plans to "run the wire"? (catenary)