Author Topic: Interurbans are trains too  (Read 3390 times)

sd45elect2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +289
Interurbans are trains too
« on: April 12, 2021, 05:18:30 PM »
+12
I've posted this topic on another forum. I was always hesitant to post my models here in the company of so many esteemed model builders but lately I had a request to do so.

My background is railroad, I've been working for actual railroads my entire life. I started when I was about 11 years old at my local trolley museum in East Troy Wisconsin in around 1976. Since then I've served on museum boards, held professional titles in the rail industry and so far had a satisfying career. In the end though, I always return to my roots of midwestern trolleys. I primarily model the Milwaukee road and originally wanted some trolleys as scenery for the prime attraction which is the Milwaukee in 1948.

It is becoming evident that N scale trolley availability is growing and I can realize equipment that was unheard of just a few years ago. I have decided that I will model a larger trolley system within the confines of the 1948 time period around the Milwaukee road.

Enjoy the topic and feel free to post YOUR electrics !! [ Guests cannot view attachments ]

The Electroliner needs little introduction.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2021, 05:25:00 PM by sd45elect2000 »

sd45elect2000

• Crew
Re: Interurbans are trains too
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2021, 05:59:03 PM »
+4
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Milwaukee Rapid transit car 66. Cincinnati curveside.

Tomix powered !

https://interurbanmodels.blogspot.com/

Custom decals, scalecoat paint.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2021, 06:53:35 PM by sd45elect2000 »

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +453
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2021, 06:39:10 PM »
My venture into trolleys are a couple of Bachmann streetcars and a couple of those old unpowered kits that came with a pair of sides and some wood to make North Shore cars, that I have never built.

I really enjoy your posts about your work, but it would be helpful if when you post pics like this, you would share a bit about how you sourced the parts (resin, old kits, kitbashes, which chassis you used to power them, etc) and achieved these results.   Even paint colors would be a help (if I ever get around to building those kits).  I am guessing that many of the shells are 3D printed, and chassis by Tomytec or ?
Tom D.

Dear manufacturers,
If you don't make it, I can't buy it.

sd45elect2000

• Crew
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2021, 06:45:05 PM »
+4
My venture into trolleys are a couple of Bachmann streetcars and a couple of those old unpowered kits that came with a pair of sides and some wood to make North Shore cars, that I have never built.

I really enjoy your posts about your work, but it would be helpful if when you post pics like this, you would share a bit about how you sourced the parts (resin, old kits, kitbashes, which chassis you used to power them, etc) and achieved these results.   Even paint colors would be a help (if I ever get around to building those kits).  I am guessing that many of the shells are 3D printed, and chassis by Tomytec or ?

No Problem I remember those old Western Railcraft kits but today there is a much better alternative.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/GPJ5HWKWG/cnsm-741-776-silverliner-series-coach?optionId=43359825&li=marketplace

Lots of sand paper. Paint is Tru Scale but decals are kinda hit and miss.

Sokramiketes

• Crew
  • Better modeling through peer pressure...
  • Respect: +428
    • Modutrak
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2021, 06:50:55 PM »
Great models!  Someday the Modutrak layout will get a 1949 era Rondout. 

sd45elect2000

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2021, 06:57:03 PM »
+4
Great models!  Someday the Modutrak layout will get a 1949 era Rondout.

It might look something like this:

Tomix powered, shapeways shell Tru Color paint

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +1656
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2021, 07:12:20 PM »
Cool. Great job with the cars. Love the Electroliners!

I had a similar start in this "branch" of the hobby when I was a teen, in my case as a volunteer at Orange Empire Railroad ("Trolley" in 1973) Museum. Lots of time on the platform car maintaining live (!!!) overhead, eventually involved in restoring the Sacramento Northern 653:

That's me in the shirt and tie on the rear walkway. I caught heck for dressing up for the roll-out. My buddy Dennis is at the controls. I still have my notes on all the original lettering and stenciling, and need to copy and forward them to the current staff especially since a repaint several years ago wiped it all out.  :(

This experience with the 1:1 has not influenced my modeling, however. Overhead is a royal PITA regardless of scale. I model UP ~1970 and it would be a natural to shoehorn YVTCo into the layout, but I have more ideas than space and it'll just have to live on in my memories, having visited Yakima in 1980.

bbunge

• Crew
  • Respect: +35
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2021, 07:39:42 PM »
+1

Still in need of decals.  Cincinnati and Lake Erie Railroad 119 "Red Devil," a light weight car that had a steel frame and aluminum body.  A sister famously raced a plane.  Built 1930.  This is a shell from Shapeways, a Tomytec TR04 chassis, a Lokpilot Nano decoder.  A ton of fun to run on someone else's line during a show since you just plop it down on the track. 

bbunge

• Crew
  • Respect: +35
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2021, 07:49:42 PM »
+1
There are some very interesting options for Interurbans and street cars these days.  Decal making equipment and skills might be a requirement depending on your tolerance for realism. 

Not yet finished.  This is a Niles Wooden Car, Ohio Public Service #21.  This is a 3D printed resin shell from Interurban Models (the same guy who has the C&LE shell on Shapeways).  This is his Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/InterurbanModels

Tomytec TM-21 chassis.  It has room, perhaps some day, for a sound decoder.  On the front was a first attempt at the "fender" these cars had that were required by the city of Toledo.  This one is hand soldered wire.  I've since decided this would be a good project for a first try at brass etching.

Bob

Teditor

• Crew
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2021, 09:55:04 PM »
+1
(quote) I've posted this topic on another forum. I was always hesitant to post my models here in the company of so many esteemed model builders but lately I had a request to do so. (quote)

Good to see you here, I frequent this forum on a daily basis but generally just look on, you don't have to take a back seat to anyone.

Ted (Teditor) Freeman
From the Land Down Under.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 04:26:59 AM by Teditor »

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +2702
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2021, 10:28:09 PM »
I've posted this topic on another forum. I was always hesitant to post my models here in the company of so many esteemed model builders but lately I had a request to do so.

I enjoy seeing your models Randy. Not sure why you hesitate to post the photos.  Those are N scale models of vehicles running on standard gauge rails - what else can I say? They are a perfect fit for this forum.

One of my future projects is to model the old trolleys I used to ride as a kid in Poznan, Poland.  Those were based on designs dating back to WWII or even earlier.  Kato made a line of trolley cars, not quite correct, but pretty close.   I bought several to be painted descaled, and also photo etch some route number signs for the roof.  One of these days I'll get to that project.

. . . 42 . . .

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +3638
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2021, 10:41:02 PM »
That Niles car was built about 2 miles from me off the Erie mainline.

sd45elect2000

• Crew
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2021, 03:36:45 PM »

Still in need of decals.  Cincinnati and Lake Erie Railroad 119 "Red Devil," a light weight car that had a steel frame and aluminum body.  A sister famously raced a plane.  Built 1930.  This is a shell from Shapeways, a Tomytec TR04 chassis, a Lokpilot Nano decoder.  A ton of fun to run on someone else's line during a show since you just plop it down on the track.

I have two of these, they are the nicest models. Mine are not quite finished and there appears to be a shortage of TM04 chassis right now, or at least there was the last time I checked Plaza Japan.

sd45elect2000

• Crew
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2021, 03:38:41 PM »
There are some very interesting options for Interurbans and street cars these days.  Decal making equipment and skills might be a requirement depending on your tolerance for realism. 

Not yet finished.  This is a Niles Wooden Car, Ohio Public Service #21.  This is a 3D printed resin shell from Interurban Models (the same guy who has the C&LE shell on Shapeways).  This is his Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/InterurbanModels

Tomytec TM-21 chassis.  It has room, perhaps some day, for a sound decoder.  On the front was a first attempt at the "fender" these cars had that were required by the city of Toledo.  This one is hand soldered wire.  I've since decided this would be a good project for a first try at brass etching.

Bob

I think you really nailed the paint shades !! I also have two of these and I modified some gold medal models venetian blinds for the people catcher. I love your workmanship !

sd45elect2000

• Crew
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2021, 03:39:58 PM »
Cool. Great job with the cars. Love the Electroliners!

I had a similar start in this "branch" of the hobby when I was a teen, in my case as a volunteer at Orange Empire Railroad ("Trolley" in 1973) Museum. Lots of time on the platform car maintaining live (!!!) overhead, eventually involved in restoring the Sacramento Northern 653:

That's me in the shirt and tie on the rear walkway. I caught heck for dressing up for the roll-out. My buddy Dennis is at the controls. I still have my notes on all the original lettering and stenciling, and need to copy and forward them to the current staff especially since a repaint several years ago wiped it all out.  :(

This experience with the 1:1 has not influenced my modeling, however. Overhead is a royal PITA regardless of scale. I model UP ~1970 and it would be a natural to shoehorn YVTCo into the layout, but I have more ideas than space and it'll just have to live on in my memories, having visited Yakima in 1980.

Love the photo of the motor!!