Author Topic: Interurbans are trains too  (Read 3386 times)

sd45elect2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +289
Re: Interurbans are trains too
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2021, 03:42:09 PM »
+1
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Lake Bluff shuttle. I have many of the North Shore paint schemes. This one was applied to this car in 1942 after it was converted from a parlor observation to a high capacity coach.

sd45elect2000

• Crew
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2021, 03:45:02 PM »
I enjoy seeing your models Randy. Not sure why you hesitate to post the photos.  Those are N scale models of vehicles running on standard gauge rails - what else can I say? They are a perfect fit for this forum.

One of my future projects is to model the old trolleys I used to ride as a kid in Poznan, Poland.  Those were based on designs dating back to WWII or even earlier.  Kato made a line of trolley cars, not quite correct, but pretty close.   I bought several to be painted descaled, and also photo etch some route number signs for the roof.  One of these days I'll get to that project.

I rode the trams in Katowice. They also had a nice system. I had a lot of fun in Poland !

sd45elect2000

• Crew
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2021, 03:49:29 PM »
+1

These are Milwaukee rapid transit Cincinnati curveside cars. They were bought third hand from the Lehigh Valley transit in 1949

Sokramiketes

• Crew
  • Better modeling through peer pressure...
  • Respect: +428
    • Modutrak
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2021, 04:05:13 PM »
Man, this Milwaukee area stuff is great.

We have Powerton on the Modutrak layout, where the Milwaukee interchanged with the TMER (?).  All I know about that line is that it fed a power plant and that's why Milwaukee delivered southern IL coal to the interchange.

Was there any passenger traffic on that line? 

sd45elect2000

• Crew
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2021, 04:47:23 PM »
+1
Man, this Milwaukee area stuff is great.

We have Powerton on the Modutrak layout, where the Milwaukee interchanged with the TMER (?).  All I know about that line is that it fed a power plant and that's why Milwaukee delivered southern IL coal to the interchange.

Was there any passenger traffic on that line?

On the Lakeside belt line itself, no , there wasn't any passenger operation, however the belt line did connect to the Hales Corners/ East Troy line at Greenwood Junction and the Milwaukee Racine Kenosha line. Fun note, The Lakeside power plant was the first purpose designed power plant to burn pulverized coal. This practice was pioneered at the power plant on E.Wells street in Milwaukee.

In addition to the interchange with the Milwaukee at Powerton the TMER&T also interchanged with the CNW at St. Francis Jct. and crossed the North Shore on an overhead bridge.

If you want to learn more I suggest the book "TM" by Joseph Canfield or PM me and do my best to answer any questions. [ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Belt line junction on the MRK line.

sd45elect2000

• Crew
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2021, 04:52:25 PM »

MRK train N. of Kenosha.

sd45elect2000

• Crew
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2021, 05:24:40 PM »
(quote) I've posted this topic on another forum. I was always hesitant to post my models here in the company of so many esteemed model builders but lately I had a request to do so. (quote)

Good to see you here, I frequent this forum on a daily basis but generally just look on, you don't have to take a back seat to anyone.

Ted (Teditor) Freeman
From the Land Down Under.

Thanks Ted.

As information Ted made the decals for the Electroliner and many others. I think he can even help out wth C&LE decals.

sd45elect2000

• Crew
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2021, 08:04:12 AM »
+1
Probably my favorite North Shore scheme is the 1938 Skokie Valley paint job.

I don't have a bunch of pictures of these because the horns should be on the dash. I am waiting and looking for some Z scale 2 chime horns to put on the Pullman and Standard steel cars.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 08:07:45 AM by sd45elect2000 »

Northshorer

• Respect: +5
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2021, 10:18:21 AM »
+2
Good to see you are still busy Randy

Should be a 3-car heading south from Edison Court, Waukegan, but I don't appear to be allowed to post pictures?

Regards

David (North Yorkshire, UK)

dem34

• Crew
  • Only here to learn through Osmosis
  • Respect: +291
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2021, 10:28:35 AM »

Should be a 3-car heading south from Edison Court, Waukegan, but I don't appear to be allowed to post pictures?

Regards

Pictures are restricted to the plaid membership.

Image posting unlocks once you reach 25 posts.
-Al

sd45elect2000

• Crew
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2021, 10:55:07 AM »

Regards

David, I am pleased to hear from you. You can for the time being send your photos to me and I’ll post them. Your Edison court module is really nice.

Pm me for my e mail.

bbunge

• Crew
  • Respect: +35
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2021, 03:10:55 PM »
I think you really nailed the paint shades !! I also have two of these and I modified some gold medal models venetian blinds for the people catcher. I love your workmanship !

Thanks!  The colors are a bit of very old memory and my father's postcards.  Thanks for the tip about the venetian blinds for the fender people catchers.  As much as I want to learn how to etch, time is limited.

Bob

sd45elect2000

• Crew
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2021, 03:41:52 PM »
+1

These are from my friend David from England who is a North Shore modeler. I am familiar with the Edison Court station and David certainly nailed it. Please post any likes to him. northshorer.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +2702
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2021, 05:16:56 PM »

Regards

You will be - just keep posting more messages.
See https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=43673.0
. . . 42 . . .

sd45elect2000

• Crew
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2021, 08:24:00 AM »
+4
The Cream City special.