Author Topic: RailSmith passenger cars?  (Read 3659 times)

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +446
RailSmith passenger cars?
« on: February 09, 2021, 01:34:17 AM »
RailSmith now has a couple passenger cars that I could actually use.  I don't remember ever seeing these mentioned here, much less anyone saying they actually had any.  Does anyone have any comments on them?

I did see that they make both Prototype (accurate) and Classic (stand-in) models.  I have plenty of stand-ins, so have no real interest in buying them.  However, paint and lettering quality would be of interest.  The Prototype models, at least some of which seem to be their own tooling, are definitely of interest.

Anyone?
« Last Edit: February 09, 2021, 07:08:26 AM by GaryHinshaw »
N Kalanaga
Be well

Tom Todd

• Crew
  • Respect: +19
Re: RailSmith passenger cars?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2021, 03:02:58 AM »
I have quite a few. I’m collecting cars for several trains. The painting and lettering is as close to Kato and Rapido as you can get. I think the actual painting is done by Micro Trains. Not sure about that.

You may know that Lowell bought the line of ex-Walthers passenger cars. He is now working on new body styles.

If you see a car that you want I say buy it. I’ll bet you will like it.

Tom
Go Great; Go Great Northern

Or SP&S

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +362

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +446
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2021, 02:17:54 AM »
I knew he bought the Walthers cars, but none of them were correct for the GN/NP, so I didn't pay much attention.

Tom:  Thank you!  If his lettering is that good, I'll buy some.
N Kalanaga
Be well

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +453
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2021, 02:54:53 PM »
+1
Check your email if you are on the Lowell Smith mailing list.  I just received email about a new survey (or maybe not so new, but I was not aware previously)  researching a Budd coach and/or potential heavyweight cars.

available online: https://lowellsmith.net/railsmith-fan-survey/

I've always liked the "survey" theory of marketing.  I doubt any of my responses will become part of the Railsmith line, but you never know.  I tried to limit my answers to cars I would be willing to part with some cash to acquire (I did throw in the B-60b even though I have built a couple Hellgate and don't really need more, but I suspect it would go over well with the RW crowd).

My suggestions- for a Budd coach either the ACL Champion coaches (late 30s or 1946) or the ATSF Budd chair cars of 1946 (which are different from the 1953 cars done by Con Cor and Bachmann)
for heavyweights- more sleeper styles such as 6-3, 8-1-2 and 8-1-3 (the first 2 are available in Z, but not in N, go figure), and either/both of the NYC 60' baggage or PRR B-60b, plus any ATSF heavyweight he might want to do, especially baggage cars.

Tom D.

Dear manufacturers,
If you don't make it, I can't buy it.

CBQ Fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +187
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2021, 07:42:38 PM »
I am very pleased with all of them.  My only complaint was paying premium money for his heavyweight NP cars only to be followed by actual MT releases for a third the cost shortly after. Quality is great.
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

PJPickard

• Crew
  • Respect: +9
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2021, 08:11:32 PM »
The survey is "bad gateway" for me...but I did buy nearly $200 of cars based on this thread!

kscessandriver

• Crew
  • Respect: +13
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2021, 09:26:29 PM »
I recently picked up a 2 pack of ACL lightweight baggage cars and a Frisco Coach and I'm very impressed with them. Not exactly sure why I bought them, but I'd guess I wanted to work on something ACL, and then maybe a KC-Florida Special. I'll do something, and for sure order more, because I'm very impressed with them.

Point353

• Crew
  • Respect: +560
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2021, 10:22:51 PM »
I recently picked up a 2 pack of ACL lightweight baggage cars and a Frisco Coach and I'm very impressed with them. Not exactly sure why I bought them, but I'd guess I wanted to work on something ACL, and then maybe a KC-Florida Special. I'll do something, and for sure order more, because I'm very impressed with them.
There was a Kansas City-Florida train run jointly by the Frisco and the Southern Ry.
http://www.streamlinerschedules.com/concourse/track2/kcflaspecial196104.html
Maybe you'd want to order the Frisco sleeper cars that RailSmith is making.
https://lowellsmith.net/product-category/frisco/

kscessandriver

• Crew
  • Respect: +13
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2021, 03:25:38 PM »
There was a Kansas City-Florida train run jointly by the Frisco and the Southern Ry.
http://www.streamlinerschedules.com/concourse/track2/kcflaspecial196104.html
Maybe you'd want to order the Frisco sleeper cars that RailSmith is making.
https://lowellsmith.net/product-category/frisco/

Yup, that's the plan. I've seen some historical consist info for the KC-Florida Special, in the grand scheme of things, it's not a difficult train to model when all these railsmith cars are all out.

Nato

• Crew
  • Respect: +82
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2021, 05:06:53 PM »
   Yes the quality is great, also some paint schemes that Walther's never did on these cars. Also a new car (new tooling ) is coming out an accurate NP coach. Well worth the prices you pay. Nate Goodman. (Nato).

mmagliaro

• Crew
  • Respect: +1169
    • Maxcow Online
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2021, 05:33:56 PM »
I have some of Lowell's SP&S passenger heavyweight equipment and it's flawless.  Runs and looks beautiful.   I also have an SP&S F unit  - now, that's just an IM stock unit with a custom painted shell, but the shell painting is superb.  Crisp, clean lines and lettering, really sharp delineation between colors.  He does great work.  And as for the "stand-in" models he does, he makes no secret on those that this is his intent.  Make something as close as is practical from available commercial models.  I think he fills a valuable niche.

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1004
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2021, 06:01:12 PM »
I'll add that having known Lowell for almost 25 years, he is a very, very nice and honorable man to boot.
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

altohorn25

• Crew
  • Respect: +1243
    • Mini Mod u Trak
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2021, 10:34:18 PM »
I probably have over 20 of his passenger cars.  Paint and lettering are both excellent and he tries very hard to match colors to either prototype paint chips or current models in production by other manufacturers so that they can be run with other cars.

A great guy as well.  I've had lots of good conversations with him over the years at the RPM meet in Chicago.
Nate Pierce
Modutrak - Wisconsin Division
www.modutrak.com

altohorn25

• Crew
  • Respect: +1243
    • Mini Mod u Trak
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2021, 10:42:09 PM »
+2
Here is a sample of some of his work.  About half of this Texas Special consist are Railsmith cars (the coaches and most of the sleepers).  They look great.

The other cars are mostly Des Plaines Hobbies prototype metal sides for the Texas Special mounted on American Limited core kits.  The Mail/Baggage, Observation Car, and one of the sleepers are non-prototypical Kato stand in cars that I've custom painted and lettered.

The E7's are Life-Like units that I've kitbashed and added DCC.

Nate Pierce
Modutrak - Wisconsin Division
www.modutrak.com