Author Topic: RailSmith passenger cars?  (Read 3954 times)

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +453
Re: RailSmith passenger cars?
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2021, 11:04:23 AM »
+1
Sleepers close, coaches stand ins?

From what I can see, it is more the other way around.  The 4 PS coaches (which I think were actually plan 7435 with plan 7436 being divided coaches with different names, according to ), according to the photos, have similar window arrangement. Later in life, they had the fluting removed.  Given the build date, if they had fluting when new, it was probably the pre-war style PS fluting, rather than the postwar of the model, but I will yield to the RI experts on the specific fluting style.  The only photos I could find show the cars mid-60s with the fluting off (which makes them look a lot like the Railsmith/Walthers smoothside version).  My guess would be that some RI modelers saw the similarities and asked for these cars.
Here is "Mistletoe" later in life, with fluting removed (from Jerry's Passenger Car Photo site): https://www.flickr.com/photos/mbernero/27161344131

My handy car name reference shows San Jacinto and Buffalo Bayou as PS plan 4195 (and this plan is the only one I know of built for RI in 1954), most were named "Golden ______".  This plan was an 8 roomette- 6 double bedroom arrangement that from the windows appears to have the bedrooms in the middle of the car, rather than at one end like a 4140 10-6 (the Railsmith/Walthers model). I would not fault anyone who runs these as stand ins- in my own modeling, I run the same 10-6s in place of 4-5-1-4s on a modeled "New DIxieland", although hope someday to replace them with some cars modeled with USP sides.
Tom D.

Dear manufacturers,
If you don't make it, I can't buy it.

Sokramiketes

• Crew
  • Better modeling through peer pressure...
  • Respect: +428
    • Modutrak
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2021, 04:18:52 PM »
From what I can see, it is more the other way around.  The 4 PS coaches (which I think were actually plan 7435 with plan 7436 being divided coaches with different names, according to ), according to the photos, have similar window arrangement. Later in life, they had the fluting removed.  Given the build date, if they had fluting when new, it was probably the pre-war style PS fluting, rather than the postwar of the model, but I will yield to the RI experts on the specific fluting style.  The only photos I could find show the cars mid-60s with the fluting off (which makes them look a lot like the Railsmith/Walthers smoothside version).  My guess would be that some RI modelers saw the similarities and asked for these cars.
Here is "Mistletoe" later in life, with fluting removed (from Jerry's Passenger Car Photo site): https://www.flickr.com/photos/mbernero/27161344131

My handy car name reference shows San Jacinto and Buffalo Bayou as PS plan 4195 (and this plan is the only one I know of built for RI in 1954), most were named "Golden ______".  This plan was an 8 roomette- 6 double bedroom arrangement that from the windows appears to have the bedrooms in the middle of the car, rather than at one end like a 4140 10-6 (the Railsmith/Walthers model). I would not fault anyone who runs these as stand ins- in my own modeling, I run the same 10-6s in place of 4-5-1-4s on a modeled "New DIxieland", although hope someday to replace them with some cars modeled with USP sides.

Thanks Tom, that helps.

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +447
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2021, 02:16:50 AM »
I got mine, and am very pleased with them.

Not so pleased with Suddenlink Internet/TV.  We were down for 17 days, and just got back up.  Their tech support(?) number reported that they were aware of the outage for 13 days before letting me talk to an actual human, who confirmed that they had multiple outages, and no techs, in this area!

Still not a record though, as they did the same thing last Nov/Dec, for 19 days.  That time I actually found a tech, with his bucket truck, working on a cable along the road, and reported it to HIM.  Two hours later the problem was fixed.  Two days later, we received a phone call telling us that Suddenlink had finally scheduled a service call for the problem.

Can't switch the TV, except to a satellite.  Internet is switching to our phone company in a little over a week. 
N Kalanaga
Be well

greenwizard88

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2021, 09:22:15 PM »
Can these passenger cars easily be converted to have track powered interior lighting? I just sprung for a Pennsylvania sleeper in UP yellow, and both my Kato CoLA and BWL are lighted. This car will look odd if it's dark.
My name is Drew

altohorn25

• Crew
  • Respect: +1243
    • Mini Mod u Trak
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2021, 10:45:40 PM »
Can these passenger cars easily be converted to have track powered interior lighting? I just sprung for a Pennsylvania sleeper in UP yellow, and both my Kato CoLA and BWL are lighted. This car will look odd if it's dark.

Yes - the trucks have pickups that touch contacts on the bottom of the car.
Nate Pierce
Modutrak - Wisconsin Division
www.modutrak.com

greenwizard88

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2021, 10:11:49 PM »
Yes - the trucks have pickups that touch contacts on the bottom of the car.
Thank you, thank you. This will make lighting it quite trivial.
My name is Drew

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +447
« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2021, 01:57:49 AM »
The June Model Railroader has a review of these cars, and gives them high marks.  Unfortunately, they made one mistake, which had me excited for a while. 

They reviewed the NP etc 56-seat PS coach, and listed GN Big Sky Blue as one of the paint schemes.  The GN did have some, purchased from the C&NW, and I have one, from Centralia Car Shops.  The blue is so far off I won't run it.  I was hoping for a Railsmith version to replace it, and wondered how I had missed it on his site, but no, it's a mistake.
N Kalanaga
Be well

Ron McF

• Crew
  • Respect: +5
    • The Gulf, Colorado & Santa Fe Rwy
« Reply #37 on: Yesterday at 02:00:31 AM »
My suggestions ... the ATSF Budd chair cars of 1946

We can live in hope.
Ron McF
The Gulf, Colorado & Santa Fe Rwy
http://gulflines.blogspot.com.au/

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
« Reply #38 on: Yesterday at 09:50:24 AM »
We can live in hope.
LoL... I do have 1 set of M&R sides for the 1946 cars (I think, unless it is for the near identical '41 cars).  I held off building that car in the vain hope that someone would produce a Budd core kit.  Now, with no PS core kit in production, that seems VERY unlikely, but I think I have a few Con-Cor sleepers I can sacrifice.  Wonder if Roberto has 2 or 3 more sets of sides he might be willing to part with.

Also several partly complete and still on the sprue sets for PS 44 seat ATSF chair cars- I'm still surprised NOBODY has done those (given how many coaches have been turned out- no one has done any of the "small window" fluted cars of any road).

I need to clear some space and set up an assembly line for all my various 1/2 finished and never started passenger car projects.  Nobody is going to produce this stuff in my lifetime, so I need to do it myself.
Tom D.

Dear manufacturers,

Tad_T

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #39 on: Yesterday at 09:21:09 PM »
+1
I ordered the two pack of Illinois Central sleepers from Railsmith.

https://lowellsmith.net/product/railsmith-illinois-central-sleeper-pair/

I am going to use them on my The Louisiane. It was an interesting train with a mixed consist that varied.

Probably no one besides me is trying to model it. Most folks seem to want to do The City of New Orleans, The City of Miami, The Panama Limited, or one of the other streamlined trains.

I’ll order some of the new coaches when they become available.

https://lowellsmith.net/newly-tooled-coach/

I have the first Micro-Trains IC five pack, the Kato 106-095, a few Walthers cars, a few Wheels of Time cars, a few Centralia cars, and a couple of Intermountain NRC reefers.

I’m waiting on the second Micro-Trains IC five pack to help finish it out. I think it’s cool that MT is doing the second five pack. When I contacted them last year they said that they didn’t really have any plans to do a second five pack. I sent them some research and info on how they could use their existing models to do most of the heavyweights that were regularly on The Louisiane. The first MT five pack already had cars that worked.

Then they announced the second five pack and it has cars from The Louisiane.  8)

I preordered the five pack like I told Ben that I would if they released it.

If MT releases a couple or few single cars, they could cover the rest of the regular heavyweight portion of the train. Before it’s over, I may have enough equipment to do a second IC passenger train.

sp org div

• Crew
  • Respect: +22
« Reply #40 on: Today at 12:21:35 AM »
<snip>
Also several partly complete and still on the sprue sets for PS 44 seat ATSF chair cars- I'm still surprised NOBODY has done those (given how many coaches have been turned out- no one has done any of the "small window" fluted cars of any road).

Im still kinda scratching my head why no one has been interested in doing these PS 44 seat chair cars also.
I have been pushing for these same cars from every angle (including Lowell), as they were run in multiples on Santa Fe’s El Capitan and the chief, and of coarse lived on to run behind Amtraks coast starlight until hep came along. I would be in for a half dozen or more amtk skirtless cars with the black underframe / trucks in a heartbeat. This seems like a no brainer to go with all the kato, walthers, and conncor atsf cars that have been produced, as they could easily be sold in multi packs to fill out these common train consists.
I just missed the american limited cores and have been side lined using con cor stand ins hoping something comes along sooner than later... no joke on wondering if this stuff will be produced in our lifetime, as N scale new products have really taken a turn to the dark side when comparing to all the new HO products that have been coming out on their pipeline!

Jeff

Tad_T

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #41 on: Today at 12:46:59 AM »
Im still kinda scratching my head why no one has been interested in doing these PS 44 seat chair cars also.
I have been pushing for these same cars from every angle (including Lowell), as they were run in multiples on Santa Fe’s El Capitan and the chief, and of coarse lived on to run behind Amtraks coast starlight until hep came along. I would be in for a half dozen or more amtk skirtless cars with the black underframe / trucks in a heartbeat. This seems like a no brainer to go with all the kato, walthers, and conncor atsf cars that have been produced, as they could easily be sold in multi packs to fill out these common train consists.
I just missed the american limited cores and have been side lined using con cor stand ins hoping something comes along sooner than later... no joke on wondering if this stuff will be produced in our lifetime, as N scale new products have really taken a turn to the dark side when comparing to all the new HO products that have been coming out on their pipeline!

Jeff

There were normally at least four of those cars on the Texas Chief, as well.

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
« Reply #42 on: Today at 02:34:06 PM »
There were normally at least four of those cars on the Texas Chief, as well.
I wrote a short essay on 44 seat chair cars and other diversions, but I think rather than pursue that here and go further afield, I'm going to leave this thread to the Lowell loyalists and the NP modelers (that new NP coach does look really nice).  So I will start up a thread on the N&Z header for those of us AT&SF modelers who want stuff we can't have.  At least, can't have yet.
Tom D.

Dear manufacturers,