Author Topic: Testors discontinues Model Master products  (Read 8608 times)

muktown128

• Crew
  • Respect: +46
Re: Testors discontinues Model Master products
« Reply #45 on: March 28, 2020, 12:06:34 PM »
Having worked for a paint manufacturing company for over 30 years now, I will say there has been a lot of consolidation in the paint industry of both manufacturers and raw material suppliers, which is not unlike many other industries.  Much of this consolidation through mergers and acquisitions has resulted in many plant closures and made for some difficult decisions on whether to keep or discontinue products.  The other trends that I have witnessed in industrial coatings are an increase in variety (colors, textures, appearance) along with smaller batches/production runs.  This results in more complexity (more raw materials and finished goods SKU's and higher manufacturing costs).  Then there is the challenge of inventory (space and working capital).  I certainly understand why RPM would discontinue specialty product lines.  Many times the decision boils down to either increasing the price to make an acceptable profit margin if you can or you discontinue the product.  If the sales volume for these products has been trending down with no signs of reversing, then the decision to exit the business makes more sense.

FYI - RPM acquired Testors in 1984
http://www.fundinguniverse.com/company-histories/the-testor-corporation-history/

SkipGear

• Crew
  • Respect: +406
« Reply #46 on: March 28, 2020, 04:30:59 PM »
+1
The cheap enamel rack is still going to be around and the dullcote from the enamel rack is exactly the same as the Model Master Matte Finish. I have compared the batch codes and part numbers printed on the bottom of the can. They just put a different wrapper on the Model Master can charge an extra dollar for it.
Tony Hines

reinhardtjh

• Crew
  • Respect: +186
« Reply #47 on: May 01, 2020, 07:42:05 PM »
+2
Posted on the Model Railroader Facebook Page:

https://www.facebook.com/ModelRailroader/posts/10158315313994214

Quote from: Model Railroader
Seeking information about the status of the status of several of Testors long-standing paint lines, we have received the following
Quote from: Vince Pierri, Senior Manager, PR & Corporate Communications for Rust-Oleum
“With a long history of producing quality hobby kits and supplies, we are evolving our strategy to focus more keenly on Testors, our flagship brand. To that end, we are discontinuing our PACTRA, AZTEK, and Model Master brands as demand for these products continues to decline. We will continue to support the hobby market with a robust line of aerosols, brush paints, tools and accessories – always looking for opportunities to innovate in these categories.”
John H. Reinhardt
PRRT&HS #8909
C&O HS #11530
N-Trak #7566

nkalanaga

• Crew
« Reply #48 on: May 02, 2020, 01:00:04 AM »
When did Rust-Oleum buy RPM?

For what it's worth, Krylon seems to be getting scarce around here.  Hardware and big-box stores seem to be adding every type of Rust-Oleum imaginable, and squeezing everything else out.
N Kalanaga
Be well

SkipGear

• Crew
« Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 01:14:09 AM by SkipGear »
Tony Hines

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +801
« Reply #50 on: May 02, 2020, 01:54:24 AM »
+2
I've had almost 100% early failure rate with Rustoleum paints if trying to save it beyond an initial spray.
Krylon on the other hand has been nearly flawless until empty over years of storage between use.
I've been around long enough to understand the whole turn the can upside down and spray until the nozzle is clear thing.
More often than not, the failure is below the nozzle.

IMO, Rustoleum sucks. 
I've purchased spray paint from Walmart for 99 cents a can that is far more reliable than $hit Rustoleum.
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +2931
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #51 on: May 02, 2020, 01:59:10 AM »
When did Rust-Oleum buy RPM?

For what it's worth, Krylon seems to be getting scarce around here.  Hardware and big-box stores seem to be adding every type of Rust-Oleum imaginable, and squeezing everything else out.

No, RPM International is the Great White Shark which swallowed all the smaller paint companies.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RPM_International
. . . 42 . . .

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +411
« Reply #52 on: May 02, 2020, 09:24:46 AM »

My local Walmart has a pretty good selection of basic Krylon colors, and several of the clears.  IIRC, they also have the clear coats in the arts and crafts aisle of the store, in addition to the paint section.  And around here, seems like Lowe's has gone toward Krylon while HD is committed to Rustoleum.  But maybe it is just my imagination.
Tom D.

MK

• Crew
  • Respect: +396
« Reply #53 on: May 02, 2020, 10:36:30 AM »
I've been around long enough to understand the whole turn the can upside down and spray until the nozzle is clear thing.
More often than not, the failure is below the nozzle.

IMO, Rustoleum sucks. 
I've purchased spray paint from Walmart for 99 cents a can that is far more reliable than $hit Rustoleum.

I had an some old aerosol cans, not paint.  Actually they were Walmart brand disinfectants.  Press the nozzle and nothing.  At first I thought it was a clogged nozzle so I took that off and just press the tube that was sticking out.  Nothing!  Now I'm thinking there's some gunk clogging the tube up though it looked very clean.  So I spent a few minutes trying to clear it, adding alcohol to clean it out, sticking metal wires and gadgets down the tube, etc.  Nothing

But given the pandemic I wanted the disinfectant in the can.  They were 95% full.  I figured I'll get the liquid it out and put it in a manual spray bottle as spray Lysol was no where to be found.  I gingerly punctured the can.  First with a small hole, then gently enlarging it.  I was expecting some burst of air coming out.  Nothing!  Then I tried turning the can upside down and out came the liquid!  Turns out over time the "gasket" (or whatever it is) to keep the propellant in had deteriorated to the point where it slowly leaked the propellant out.

Long story short, do you think the propellant leaked out over time?  Have you tried puncturing the can and draining the paint inside like the decanting thread elsewhere on TRW but now it was self-decanting?!

Dave V

• Crew
  • The Route of the Galloping Goose
  • Respect: +5352
« Reply #54 on: May 02, 2020, 10:50:56 AM »
If you have some of the Testors acrylics on hand, you know they like to dry out quickly.  Or maybe that's just because I live in a dry climate now.  Either way I was able to resurrect a jar that had solidified by adding distilled water, so you might get more milage out of what you have on hand.
Silver San Juan Scenic Line

Member SlimRail Modular Colorado Narrow Gauge
http://www.slimrail.net/

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +3481
« Reply #55 on: May 02, 2020, 11:51:43 AM »
I had an some old aerosol cans, not paint.  Actually they were Walmart brand disinfectants.  Press the nozzle and nothing.  At first I thought it was a clogged nozzle so I took that off and just press the tube that was sticking out.  Nothing!  Now I'm thinking there's some gunk clogging the tube up though it looked very clean.  So I spent a few minutes trying to clear it, adding alcohol to clean it out, sticking metal wires and gadgets down the tube, etc.  Nothing

But given the pandemic I wanted the disinfectant in the can.  They were 95% full.  I figured I'll get the liquid it out and put it in a manual spray bottle as spray Lysol was no where to be found.  I gingerly punctured the can.  First with a small hole, then gently enlarging it.  I was expecting some burst of air coming out.  Nothing!  Then I tried turning the can upside down and out came the liquid!  Turns out over time the "gasket" (or whatever it is) to keep the propellant in had deteriorated to the point where it slowly leaked the propellant out.

Long story short, do you think the propellant leaked out over time?  Have you tried puncturing the can and draining the paint inside like the decanting thread elsewhere on TRW but now it was self-decanting?!

You can squeeze the can and be able to tell if there is propellant in it. If you can't squeeze it don't poke it  :scared:

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #56 on: May 02, 2020, 12:04:23 PM »
I gingerly punctured the can.  First with a small hole, then gently enlarging it.  I was expecting some burst of air coming out.  Nothing!  Then I tried turning the can upside down and out came the liquid!  Turns out over time the "gasket" (or whatever it is) to keep the propellant in had deteriorated to the point where it slowly leaked the propellant out.

There is an easy (Peteski  :D) way to check for the propellant.

Grab the can, and squeeze it hard with your fingers.  If if feels hard (like  a football at the correct pressure), the propellant is still in the can and keeps it pressurized,.  If the walls give in easily, the propellant has escaped.  The metal can is made from fairly thin metal, so that is why you can test it like that (just like a can of soda pop).  Once you do the test you will know whether the valve/tube is clogged, or the propellant has escaped.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 12:08:44 PM by peteski »
. . . 42 . . .

MK

• Crew
  • Respect: +396
« Reply #57 on: May 02, 2020, 12:07:18 PM »
Light bulb lit!  Chris and Peteski, now that both of you mentioned it, the two cans I "decanted" (:D) actually gave a little when I squeezed it.  At the time I didn't connect that means propellant was missing.

ednadolski

• Crew
  • Respect: +618
« Reply #58 on: May 02, 2020, 12:26:12 PM »
Have you tried puncturing the can and draining the paint inside...

Never a smart idea to deliberately try to puncture a pressure vessel.   Is the paint (or whatever) that's inside really worth it?

Ed

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #59 on: May 02, 2020, 12:43:11 PM »
Never a smart idea to deliberately try to puncture a pressure vessel.   Is the paint (or whatever) that's inside really worth it?

Ed

While I don't condone it, lots of modelers are doing it. Some even have elaborate fixtures machined for that task.
These threads seem to pop-up regularly on another forum http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/151903-decanting-spray-paint/

And when the "squeze test" shows no or little pressure inside, it is quite safe to release the contents.
. . . 42 . . .