Author Topic: Testors discontinues Model Master products  (Read 14128 times)

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1329
Re: Testors discontinues Model Master products
« Reply #75 on: May 05, 2020, 12:41:36 AM »
+1
Gary:  It seems unlikely, since most people using hardware store spray paint would probably want gloss paint, but I guess it's possible. 

For what it's worth, I consider Scalecoat to be the best railroad spray paint available.  I actually use more Tamiya, but that's because it's available locally, dries much faster, and doesn't smell as bad.  But it also doesn't come in railroad colors, which is a big factor when painting a railroad model.  Since Scalecoat comes in bigger cans, I suspect that it might actually be a little cheaper, per ounce.
N Kalanaga
Be well

amato1969

• Crew
  • Respect: +831
« Reply #76 on: May 05, 2020, 07:37:11 AM »
+1 for Tamiya, it airbrushes like a dream, even thru my ancient Paasche H.  I too miss the PollyS railroad specific colors, but I have had good luck with Badger Modelflex, but often need to adjust/mix those colors as well.

Frank

nkalanaga

• Crew
« Reply #77 on: May 18, 2020, 12:34:52 AM »
I know this topic was about paint, but after seeing BCR_570's chip car pictures, with his bottle or plastic cement, I wonder if there's been any comments on Testor's plastic cement?
N Kalanaga
Be well

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5515
« Reply #78 on: May 18, 2020, 12:43:45 AM »
I buy plastic cement by the gallon. I'll be dead before I run out.

SkipGear

• Crew
  • Respect: +629
« Reply #79 on: May 18, 2020, 01:00:25 AM »
That cement is still under the standard line that is staying around, as well as dullcoate, gloss cote, clear parts cement, tube glue,  and the liquid cement in the needle applicator.
Tony Hines

nkalanaga

• Crew
« Reply #80 on: May 19, 2020, 12:34:18 AM »
SkipGear:  Thank you!  I can do without the regular paints, although there are a few colors I will miss.  But that's the only plastic cement commonly available around here, except at outrageous prices. 

And, unfortunately, I don't have room for a gallon of the stuff.  I still have half of the gallon of Elmer's white glue I bought 20 years ago.  And, yes, the last time I looked, it was still good.  That was probably a year ago.
N Kalanaga
Be well

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4613
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #81 on: May 19, 2020, 12:48:53 AM »
SkipGear:  Thank you!  I can do without the regular paints, although there are a few colors I will miss.  But that's the only plastic cement commonly available around here, except at outrageous prices. 

And, unfortunately, I don't have room for a gallon of the stuff.  I still have half of the gallon of Elmer's white glue I bought 20 years ago.  And, yes, the last time I looked, it was still good.  That was probably a year ago.

No need to buy a gallon. My local hardware stores sell solvents in gallon and quart containers. So, I can buy MEK in a quart size.  That is more manageable size.

If your hardware store does not have it available, they can usually order it for you (for no additional cost). Of if that doesn't work, MEK in quart size is available on eBay and Amazon (and probably from most online industrial suppliers).
. . . 42 . . .

nkalanaga

• Crew
« Reply #82 on: May 19, 2020, 03:12:02 AM »
Thank you, but even that would be overkill.  A bottle of Testors will last me for a long time.  I've been using my current one for a year, and it still has a couple months left.
N Kalanaga
Be well

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8039
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #83 on: May 19, 2020, 10:03:19 AM »
+2
Now might be a good time to turn you ALL onto Tamiya's excellent plastic cement.

https://www.amazon.com/Tamiya-87038-Extra-Thin-Cement/dp/B000BMYWYC

@chicken45 turned me onto it and it's a game changer.

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +8552
« Reply #84 on: May 19, 2020, 10:26:09 AM »
Now might be a good time to turn you ALL onto Tamiya's excellent plastic cement.

https://www.amazon.com/Tamiya-87038-Extra-Thin-Cement/dp/B000BMYWYC

@chicken45 turned me onto it and it's a game changer.

TBH, Testors plastic glue seemed like it was less potent in later years too...but I liked that on occasion you could unglue something with it when you realized you didn't read the directions closely enough.  How does Tamiya compare?  The other plastic glue in my arsenal is Plastruct cement and that's so damn powerful it's not real useful for tiny parts like retainer valves and door hardware.  It's great for laminating plastic sheets though!

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8039
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #85 on: May 19, 2020, 10:50:25 AM »
+1
TBH, Testors plastic glue seemed like it was less potent in later years too...but I liked that on occasion you could unglue something with it when you realized you didn't read the directions closely enough.  How does Tamiya compare?  The other plastic glue in my arsenal is Plastruct cement and that's so damn powerful it's not real useful for tiny parts like retainer valves and door hardware.  It's great for laminating plastic sheets though!

I was in the same boat.

This stuff is designed for small stuff like that. I still have a bottle of Plastruct somewhere but for 90% of what I do this works perfectly. I especially love the applicator that it comes with, it's much finer than the Testors or Plastruct ones.

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1569
« Reply #86 on: May 19, 2020, 12:12:58 PM »
I use Tamiya Thin Cement mainly because of the excellent applicator brush in the cap.
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

chicken45

• Crew
  • Will rim for upvotes.
  • Respect: +1013
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 19, 2020, 01:55:08 PM »
Yeah once you try the tamiya stuff, you'll almost never go back. It's like doing surgery with a scalpel versus a dump truck.

Josh Surkosky

Here's a Clerihew about Ed. K.

Ed Kapucinski
Every night, he plants a new tree.
But mention his law
and you've pulled your last straw!

Alternate version:
Ed Kapucinski
Every night, he plants a new tree.
He asks excitedly "Did you say Ménage à Trois?"
No, I said "Ed's Law."

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4613
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #88 on: May 19, 2020, 04:59:41 PM »
+1
There are couple different versions of Tamiya cement.  It is mostly acetone (ingredients are listed on the label).
As far as how well these glues work, it also depends on the plastic being glued.  There is Polystyrene, and ABS (each has slightly different properties). Then even within the same type of plastic, there are multiple formulations. They all can have slightly different compatibility with liquid cements.

Plastruct also makes couple different liquid cement flavors designed for a range of different types of plastics.  Most potent (and fastest evaporating) liquid cements are mostly Methylene Chloride (TENEX 7X was such cement).

It is always good to familiarize oneself with come rudimentary plastic and solvent properties.  :)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 01:11:54 PM by peteski »
. . . 42 . . .

SkipGear

• Crew
  • Respect: +629
« Reply #89 on: May 20, 2020, 11:52:15 AM »
+3
Tamiya has 3 versions of liquid cement....

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

87038 - Standard Thin - Green cap - Good for most every day uses and probably what most are talking about here.
87182 - Extra-Thin Quick setting - Lime Green Cap - More agressive than the green cap but evaporates quickly. Acts very similar to Tenax R1 which many people were familiar with.
87012 - Liquid Cement - Yellow Cap - Simlar to but thicker than Testors.

Both of the green cap bottles have the best applicator I have found for everyday applications. The yellow cap is similar to the Testors. I save every used up bottle of the Green cap variety and refill them with other glues such as the Plastruct just because they are easier to use and less likely to knock over.

Tamiya has been my GO-TO for a couple years now. I keep the testors around (in a Tamiya bottle) for structures because it is just a bit more aggressive and slightly thicker than the Green tamiya. Detail stuff and painted parts get the lime green because it flashes over fast enough that it usually doesn't effect the paint. I don't use the Yellow Tamiya very often.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 11:55:43 AM by SkipGear »
Tony Hines