Author Topic: Let's see your Corona projects  (Read 54508 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

peteski

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 35311
  • Gender: Male
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +6656
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: Let's see your Corona projects
« Reply #390 on: May 07, 2020, 02:40:59 PM »
0
Sweet!
. . . 42 . . .

nkalanaga

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 10593
  • Respect: +1771
Re: Let's see your Corona projects
« Reply #391 on: May 08, 2020, 12:41:22 AM »
0
DFF:  Do you mean "smells bad" as in "spoiled", "defective", "rotten"?  If it's not a "normally bad" chemical smell, you might want to get a new bottle.
N Kalanaga
Be well

davefoxx

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 12346
  • Gender: Male
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +8590
Re: Let's see your Corona projects
« Reply #392 on: May 08, 2020, 01:24:22 AM »
0
DFF:  Do you mean "smells bad" as in "spoiled", "defective", "rotten"?  If it's not a "normally bad" chemical smell, you might want to get a new bottle.

I would define it exactly as "spoiled, defective, and rotten."  Thankfully, I also purchased some washes and chalks from Monroe Models, so the Rustall may just go into the trash.

DFF

A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!
Still General Counsel to the Laurel Valley Ry.

peteski

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 35311
  • Gender: Male
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +6656
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: Let's see your Corona projects
« Reply #393 on: May 08, 2020, 01:27:25 AM »
0
DFF:  Do you mean "smells bad" as in "spoiled", "defective", "rotten"?  If it's not a "normally bad" chemical smell, you might want to get a new bottle.

Does Rustall really go"bad", or it is simply a smell DFF is not fond of?
In my experience I found some people find some odors unbearable, while I don't find them very offensive, and vice-versa.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 02:22:48 AM by peteski »
. . . 42 . . .

davefoxx

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 12346
  • Gender: Male
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +8590
Re: Let's see your Corona projects
« Reply #394 on: May 08, 2020, 01:31:11 AM »
0
Does Rustall really go"bad", or it is simply a smell DFF is not found of?
In my experience I found some people find some odors unbearable, while I don't find them very offensive, and vice-versa.

Chemical smells don't bother me much.  In fact, I've been standing over 70% isopropyl alcohol this evening, which I used as a wetting agent.  Strangely, I sort of like the smell of Dullcote, probably because it takes me back in time to modeling at a much younger age.  This bottle of Rustall smells rotten.  It's not a chemical smell.

DFF

A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!
Still General Counsel to the Laurel Valley Ry.

vt_railroad_guy

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 136
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +17
Re: Let's see your Corona projects
« Reply #395 on: May 08, 2020, 06:45:14 AM »
0
Chemical smells don't bother me much.  In fact, I've been standing over 70% isopropyl alcohol this evening, which I used as a wetting agent.  Strangely, I sort of like the smell of Dullcote, probably because it takes me back in time to modeling at a much younger age.  This bottle of Rustall smells rotten.  It's not a chemical smell.

DFF

Eat a lot of eggs beforehand and you'll become nose blind.  In fact, it may even start to smell good. :)

John

  • Administrator
  • Crew
  • *****
  • Posts: 14006
  • Respect: +4180
Re: Let's see your Corona projects
« Reply #396 on: May 08, 2020, 07:08:07 AM »
+4
I've spent the downtime renovating the "Baltimore" portion of the layout.  I came to the conclusion that I would never be able to do the steel mill any kind of justice in my lifetime .. so just like Sparrows Point, it was shut down and dismantled. Will replace it with an Amazon warehoue  :facepalm:














« Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 07:11:24 AM by John »

ns737

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 234
  • Respect: +38
Re: Let's see your Corona projects
« Reply #397 on: May 08, 2020, 08:40:46 AM »
0
what are you going to do with the steel mill?

Steveruger45

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1724
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +543
Re: Let's see your Corona projects
« Reply #398 on: May 08, 2020, 09:17:03 AM »
0
I've spent the downtime renovating the "Baltimore" portion of the layout.  I came to the conclusion that I would never be able to do the steel mill any kind of justice in my lifetime .. so just like Sparrows Point, it was shut down and dismantled. Will replace it with an Amazon warehoue  :facepalm:
.......

I rather like the abandoned industry / redevelopment look you have going on. The Railroad could be used with lots of gondolas etc taking scrap away and supplying new materials for the rebuilding, perhaps.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 09:19:35 AM by Steveruger45 »
Steve

fcnrwy23

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 431
  • Home of the FCN
  • Respect: +617
Re: Let's see your Corona projects
« Reply #399 on: May 10, 2020, 02:23:51 PM »
+2
Layout work for the Weekend of May 9th & 10th.

   I had been wanting to add another MoW faciity on the FCN and found that I had, just one more little piece of realstate left..  I did some ground clearing and added some ("Upper Wisconsin Dirt",  A friend of mine, brought me back a "coffee can full" of dirt from the Wisconsin Rapids area.  When, He was helping me create the Cranberry Bog scene).  I found a ready-made Tool Shed, from the recently displaced FCN #20 Tool Car.   





I will be adding the usual details to the scene to match, somewhat the same facility at Wautoma, on the FCN mainline...



Crossing Lights...
Last week the control electronics for the Grade Crossing Lights, arrived.  I had to buy to sepertae controls to match the original one I have installed at Ford City.  That one is not made anymore.  So, I one  "Detection" board and the "Flasher" board.   Examining the old lights, I will have to "rewire" them completely.  (start looking for my magnet wire)  :oops:.   The structure as-is is OK for Track Signals, (polarity is not an issue) but the circutiry of the new and original system.   Means the structure will be (+) Common and the wire leads will need to be (-).    When time allows, I will rewire the lights first than.  Than using the OLD Crossing Lights, I will find how the two boards are to be connected to make these work...  :|

Jerry G.

ns737

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 234
  • Respect: +38
Re: Let's see your Corona projects
« Reply #400 on: May 17, 2020, 01:37:52 PM »
+3
working on trucks and a heavy tow truck for truck stop. I used  trainworx parts and T800 cab and a shape ways tow body. I still need to clean up and paint the tow body. and still need to add the horns and mirrors. I am in need of the trainworx  part#4124 T800 dual exhaust stacks. if anybody has a set let me know. [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Tom Todd

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 150
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +27
Re: Let's see your Corona projects
« Reply #401 on: May 17, 2020, 03:43:20 PM »
0
fcnrwy23 posted:

"working on trucks and a heavy tow truck for truck stop. I used  trainworx parts and T800 cab and a shape ways tow body. I still need to clean up and paint the tow body. and still need to add the horns and mirrors. I am in need of the trainworx  part#4124"

You might try something from Royale Models for truck parts.  John makes some pretty cool items by 3D printing.  It is a Liquid resin process like Photon,  Great resolution.  Not related except as a customer.

Tom Todd
Go Great; Go Great Northern

Or SP&S

conrail1973

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 227
  • Respect: +105
Re: Let's see your Corona projects
« Reply #402 on: May 17, 2020, 03:44:13 PM »
0
While I've been working from home, my plans for layout work has halted, but I still find time to have 30 minutes of operations on the layout 3-4 times per week.  Though one thing that I was able to finally accomplish while working at home was grouping my books on the book shelf by railroad  :D


ns737

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 234
  • Respect: +38
Re: Let's see your Corona projects
« Reply #403 on: May 17, 2020, 04:10:27 PM »
0
thanks Tod  but I have to have the trainworx part because it holds the back of the cab up. there is a notch in both parts that go together.

peteski

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 35311
  • Gender: Male
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +6656
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: Let's see your Corona projects
« Reply #404 on: May 17, 2020, 04:58:01 PM »
0
working on trucks and a heavy tow truck for truck stop. I used  trainworx parts and T800 cab and a shape ways tow body. I still need to clean up and paint the tow body. and still need to add the horns and mirrors. I am in need of the trainworx  part#4124 T800 dual exhaust stacks. if anybody has a set let me know.


NICE!
I built one of those wreckers in 1:24 scale. It is cool to see a similar one in N scale!
. . . 42 . . .