Author Topic: Let's see your Corona projects  (Read 54502 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

davefoxx

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 12346
  • Gender: Male
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +8590
Re: Let's see your Corona projects
« Reply #375 on: May 06, 2020, 09:07:57 PM »
+5
Today's 'Rona project, while I was home overseeing the plumber digging a huge hole in the front yard to locate the busted water main to our house, was track painting!  I used Scalecoat II Flat Railroad Tie Brown in a spray bomb.  But first, I removed two bridges from the layout.  The trestle had to go to allow me to get in there with the masking and the spray paint.



Thankfully, the newly installed lake came out unscathed, as I was careful with the masking.  The plate girder bridge (now with preliminary weathering!) was reinstalled, and, hopefully, this was the last time that it needed to be pulled.  Once ballasted, it ain't coming out again.  The weathering is a product called Rustall that I just received.  Works well, but, "OMG!," it stinks.



I'm probably going to go on and detail the trestle and paint it before it will go back in.  Maybe.  If I get inspired to continue to work on the streets and sidewalks in Aberdeen, I'll need the workbench back.  What you may not realize, is that the trestle and its approach tracks, which are soldered to the bridge track, creates a piece of trackwork that is about five feet long with a fragile bridge attached!

DFF

A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!
Still General Counsel to the Laurel Valley Ry.

johnb

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1786
  • Respect: +969
    • My blog
Re: Let's see your Corona projects
« Reply #376 on: May 06, 2020, 10:32:16 PM »
+3
My wife intercepted today's delivery! 
I guess my next corona project is... the dishes...



https://i.imgur.com/AsCs6do.jpg
this worries me, my first brass loco is out for delivery and my wife doesn't know about it....

Tom L

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 476
  • Respect: +530
Re: Let's see your Corona projects
« Reply #377 on: May 07, 2020, 12:17:15 AM »
0
There I go (not being married) totally misunderstanding a photo.  Somehow the expression on his face didn't register. Mark was like a dog that just stole a steak off the table or ripped up a down pillow.

And I was  being optimistic thinking that his "honey" bought him a Hiawatha set for being a good hubby.  I'll go hide in the corner now.  :facepalm: :oops:

I didn’t even catch that in your post! Maybe I’ve been married too long, and your take on it is right   :D.

(I joke about it but my wife of 26 years, while not interested in my hobby, never has been negative about it)

Tom L

nkalanaga

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 10593
  • Respect: +1771
Re: Let's see your Corona projects
« Reply #378 on: May 07, 2020, 12:22:16 AM »
0
"The foam in all cases solidified once the solvent was absorbed or evaporated, nothing gooey at the bottom of the craters."

Makes sense.  After all, it's styrene, and the solvents are basically styrene cement, so it should dry solid.
N Kalanaga
Be well

wm3798

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 16564
  • Gender: Male
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +7455
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
Re: Let's see your Corona projects
« Reply #379 on: May 07, 2020, 01:50:49 AM »
+2
Started another one.  I'm on a roll!  The primer is on, but I have to make a decision... 


Do I do a full, more prototypical Penn Central restoration?  Dip it in some Brunswick Green (really Hunter Green out of a big spray can... closer match to the green Rapido used on the GP9) and PRR it up?  Or do I break out the masks (a little quarantine humor) and do WM304 in full circus...

Whichever I decide on, the paint will be baked on permanently thanks to the thermonuclear heart that beats within this old hunk of cast iron...

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

daniel_leavitt2000

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6444
  • Respect: +1427
Re: Let's see your Corona projects
« Reply #380 on: May 07, 2020, 01:55:50 AM »
0
Go with PC. PC all the FAs!
American eyes, American eyes
View the world from American eyes
Bury the past, rob us blind
And leave nothing behind

peteski

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 35311
  • Gender: Male
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +6656
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: Let's see your Corona projects
« Reply #381 on: May 07, 2020, 01:58:12 AM »
+1
Is that the one I donated to your retro (but not Hi rail) project?   :)
Sounds like you're happy with the performance.
. . . 42 . . .

wm3798

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 16564
  • Gender: Male
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +7455
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
Re: Let's see your Corona projects
« Reply #382 on: May 07, 2020, 02:16:12 AM »
+1
No, you sent me the PRR version from Model Power... plastic shell.  It's a good runner, but this is the old Rapido with the cast metal shell.  This one came in a package of other retro gems from @ChristianJDavis1 and was in terrible shape.  I had to soak the shell in Bestine to dissolve whatever goo was all over one side of it. 
Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

johnb

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1786
  • Respect: +969
    • My blog
Re: Let's see your Corona projects
« Reply #383 on: May 07, 2020, 02:32:25 AM »
0
Started another one.  I'm on a roll!  The primer is on, but I have to make a decision... 


Do I do a full, more prototypical Penn Central restoration?  Dip it in some Brunswick Green (really Hunter Green out of a big spray can... closer match to the green Rapido used on the GP9) and PRR it up?  Or do I break out the masks (a little quarantine humor) and do WM304 in full circus...

Whichever I decide on, the paint will be baked on permanently thanks to the thermonuclear heart that beats within this old hunk of cast iron...

Lee
honestly, I would be considering a total foob if it was me. I have an old set of Lionel ALCO FA's in Santa Fe  freight...


peteski

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 35311
  • Gender: Male
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +6656
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: Let's see your Corona projects
« Reply #384 on: May 07, 2020, 03:03:15 AM »
0
No, you sent me the PRR version from Model Power... plastic shell.  It's a good runner, but this is the old Rapido with the cast metal shell.  This one came in a package of other retro gems from @ChristianJDavis1 and was in terrible shape.  I had to soak the shell in Bestine to dissolve whatever goo was all over one side of it. 
Lee

Cool!  Nice to see that your stable of retro-models is growing.
. . . 42 . . .

DKS

  • The Pitt
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 13424
  • Respect: +7027
Re: Let's see your Corona projects
« Reply #385 on: May 07, 2020, 05:11:46 AM »
0
The weathering is a product called Rustall that I just received.  Works well, but, "OMG!," it stinks.

Strange... I've been using Rustall for decades. It just smells like alcohol. Maybe because I'm an alcoholic, it doesn't bother me... ;)

basementcalling

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3922
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +1056
Re: Let's see your Corona projects
« Reply #386 on: May 07, 2020, 07:20:47 AM »
0
My wife intercepted today's delivery! 
I guess my next corona project is... the dishes...



https://i.imgur.com/AsCs6do.jpg

I sorry, but those palms jumped out at me.

Peter Pfotenhauer

davefoxx

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 12346
  • Gender: Male
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +8590
Re: Let's see your Corona projects
« Reply #387 on: May 07, 2020, 08:50:33 AM »
+1
Strange... I've been using Rustall for decades. It just smells like alcohol. Maybe because I'm an alcoholic, it doesn't bother me... ;)

@DKS,

It's not an alcohol smell.  I can tolerate that.  In fact, I went back with straight 70% isopropyl alcohol to try to blend the Rustall in, so I know that odor.  No, my complaint is because my bottle of Rustall just smells foul.  I don't know how to describe it; it just smells bad.

DFF

A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!
Still General Counsel to the Laurel Valley Ry.

Mark W

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1988
  • Respect: +2125
    • Free-moNebraska
Re: Let's see your Corona projects
« Reply #388 on: May 07, 2020, 11:00:17 AM »
+1
this worries me, my first brass loco is out for delivery and my wife doesn't know about it....

Truth is, I promised to do the dishes 2 days ago. She had no other choice but to hold the new trains hostage until dishes were complete.    :|
Otherwise the agreement is any time I buy a new train, she gets a new pair of shoes, and vice versa.

Once I finished, she gave it back. Then we sat on the patio to watch the sunset before I ran off to finally play.  :D


https://i.imgur.com/XDgeaPA.jpg
Contact me about custom model building.
Learn more about Free-moNebraska.
Learn more about HOn3-mo.

davefoxx

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 12346
  • Gender: Male
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +8590
Re: Let's see your Corona projects
« Reply #389 on: May 07, 2020, 12:01:28 PM »
0
Truth is, I promised to do the dishes 2 days ago. She had no other choice but to hold the new trains hostage until dishes were complete.    :|
Otherwise the agreement is any time I buy a new train, she gets a new pair of shoes, and vice versa.

Once I finished, she gave it back. Then we sat on the patio to watch the sunset before I ran off to finally play.  :D


https://i.imgur.com/XDgeaPA.jpg

I have always wanted one of those locomotives since the January 1984 (50th Anniversary) issue of MR when a Hiawatha 4-4-2 was on the cover and involved in a fictional story that the MR crew found one of those Atlantics (No. 1!) in northern Wisconsin and restored it.  Layouts in different scales across the nation were displayed as running railfan excursions behind a Hiawatha.  Since the era of my layout is 1983-86, it's perfect!  Timing just never worked out that I found one at a reasonable price.

DFF

A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!
Still General Counsel to the Laurel Valley Ry.