Author Topic: Passenger car truck  (Read 4622 times)

Ike the BN Freak

• Crew
  • Respect: +81
Passenger car truck
« on: January 05, 2020, 04:58:52 AM »
+1
Doing some research on the BN/BNSF business cars, looking at BNA-30 Snoqualmie Pass, it appears to be a fairly easy kitbash, until it came to the trucks.

Do these trucks exist in N? The car originally started life on the ATSF. My other thought, if they don't, is take the standard truck that comes on either the Walther's or Kato baggage, and clip the brake hangers off and fake it.

TIA for any help and insight here

spookshow

• Crew
  • Respect: +1715
    • Model Railroading Projects & Resources
Re: Passenger car truck
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2020, 08:04:12 AM »
It looks a little like the MTL BX truck, although I don't know if the size is correct.

-Mark

altohorn25

• Crew
  • Respect: +3315
    • Mini Mod u Trak
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2020, 08:59:55 AM »
It looks a little like the MTL BX truck, although I don't know if the size is correct.

-Mark

Those BX trucks are too short left to right for this application.
Nate Pierce
Modutrak - Wisconsin Division
www.modutrak.com

altohorn25

• Crew
  • Respect: +3315
    • Mini Mod u Trak
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2020, 10:35:53 AM »
Found these on the Kato website:

http://www.katousa.com/images/800081.jpg
Nate Pierce
Modutrak - Wisconsin Division
www.modutrak.com

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +986
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2020, 12:05:37 PM »
That looks a lot like the trucks that ATSF used under its "semi-lightweight" baggage cars in the late 50s through the 60s, and also (or something similar) under their 60+foot 60s era express boxcars.  Which is to say, a sort of stretched version of the BX truck, with roller bearings.
https://sfrhms.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/folio_211_express.pdf
http://rr-fallenflags.org/atsf/atsf-be3817jpa.jpg

The ATSF trucks (per the drawing of the boxcar) are a 7'4" wheelbase made by General Steel.

Our late friend Jerry Laboda gave the following car history on the Photo Index "(ex-BNA 30, exx-DLWX 138, nee-ATSF 3931) LW generator car rblt. from baggage - express. "
ATSF 3931 also carried (as steam generator car) the numbers 138 and 140.  It was one of the "semi lightweight" baggage cars (in this case 70' built 1965) mentioned above, so I am pretty confident it is that truck.

It might be that Pecos River did the truck, as they did quite a number of relatively rare ATSF trucks.  I know from time to time, there has been conversation about making it via 3-D printing, so someone may have a project underway.  If you discover it, I could use 2 pair myself.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 05:16:20 PM by thomasjmdavis »
Tom D.

I have a mind like a steel trap...a VERY rusty, old steel trap.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4596
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2020, 12:15:22 PM »
With today's technology available to modelers, maybe you could get @Lemosteam , or another 3D capable TRW member to design and 3D print these for you (using standard Kato passenger car wheesets)?
. . . 42 . . .

spookshow

• Crew
  • Respect: +1715
    • Model Railroading Projects & Resources
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2020, 04:12:49 PM »
Found these on the Kato website:

http://www.katousa.com/images/800081.jpg

That's their MHC-2 truck. Size is probably about right, just needs a vertical thingy (snubber? shock absorber? whatever?)

-Mark
« Last Edit: January 06, 2020, 04:37:51 AM by spookshow »

arbomambo

• Crew
  • Respect: +931
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2020, 05:31:32 PM »
+2
That looks a lot like the trucks that ATSF used under its "semi-lightweight" baggage cars in the late 50s through the 60s, and also (or something similar) under their 60+foot 60s era express boxcars.  Which is to say, a sort of stretched version of the BX truck, with roller bearings.
https://sfrhms.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/folio_211_express.pdf
http://rr-fallenflags.org/atsf/atsf-be3817jpa.jpg

The ATSF trucks (per the drawing of the boxcar) are a 7'4" wheelbase made by General Steel.

Our late friend Jerry Laboda gave the following car history on the Photo Index "(ex-BNA 30, exx-DLWX 138, nee-ATSF 3931) LW generator car rblt. from baggage - express. "
ATSF 3931 also carried (as steam generator car) the numbers 138 and 140.  It was one of the "semi lightweight" baggage cars (in this case 70' built 1965) mentioned above, so I am pretty confident it is that truck.

It might be that Pecos River did the truck, as they did quite a number of relatively rare ATSF trucks.  I know from time to time, there has been conversation about making it via 3-D printing, so someone may have a project underway.  If you discover it, I could use 2 pair myself.

It is possible

This is correct...
These are the trucks used on the ATSF 64' and 74' semi-lightweight smoothside baggage car 'kits' produced for them by Pullman and assembled in the Topeka shops.
And, no, they don't exist, yet, in N scale currently.

I could definitely use a number of these for my 64' ATSF builds from Skytop Models castings.

I used modified Kato trucks for my Skytop Models builds...too big.

I used the much too small Micro-Trains BX trucks for my earlier AMB Models sides build (I used the wrong steps for these)

« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 05:33:35 PM by arbomambo »
"STILL Thrilled to be in N scale!"

Bruce M. Arbo
CATT- Coastal Alabama T-TRAK
https://nationalt-traklayout.com/

ncbqguy

• Crew
  • Respect: +384
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2020, 05:55:54 PM »
The truck resembles the GSC truck used on the Chicago-area bilevel cars (not the CB&Q type).   
They are a development of the later RDC truck.   The wheelbase may still be too long and the torsion bar is different but the Kato bilevel truck might be the closest stand-in for the BNSF cars.
Charlie Vlk

Ike the BN Freak

• Crew
  • Respect: +81
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2020, 07:41:14 PM »
Looking at all that is available, and the photos from Bruce, I'm thinking the MHC trucks would be close, and Atlas has snubbers as separate parts for their Bloomberg M trucks, might be able to use the two combined.

Also, thanks Bruce, didn't realize Skytops makes this car

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +3130
    • Designer at Keystone Details
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2020, 08:07:06 PM »
+1
****correction. The OP's truck is different, I was fooled by Bruce's model using the BX truck. It might be a small modification of the BX truck to arrive at the desired version, using Bruce's drawing. Why settle if you ca wait a little while?********

I have just completed a fully sprung S Scale Shapeways brass version of this truck for a customer and am planning to convert an unsprung version to N Scale. This is a General Steel Castings commonwealth BX truck, which PRR classified as 2D-F32. If you can wait a little while I will announce them as paired sets.

Photo by Bill Lane:

Here is a link to the customr's page and some info about the truck: http://www.lanestrains.com/S_Scale_PRR_X42_Boxcar.htm

Photo owned by Bill Lane:
« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 08:35:36 PM by Lemosteam »

narrowminded

• Crew
  • Respect: +743
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2020, 08:21:09 PM »
+1
That looks really good, John. 8)
Mark G.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4596
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2020, 08:59:19 PM »
****correction. The OP's truck is different, I was fooled by Bruce's model using the BX truck. It might be a small modification of the BX truck to arrive at the desired version, using Bruce's drawing. Why settle if you ca wait a little while?********

I have just completed a fully sprung S Scale Shapeways brass version of this truck for a customer and am planning to convert an unsprung version to N Scale. This is a General Steel Castings commonwealth BX truck, which PRR classified as 2D-F32. If you can wait a little while I will announce them as paired sets.

Photo by Bill Lane:

Here is a link to the customr's page and some info about the truck: http://www.lanestrains.com/S_Scale_PRR_X42_Boxcar.htm

Photo owned by Bill Lane:

Now I'm confused.   Are two different types of trucks are now being discussed here?  John, your truck looks very similar (short wheelbase) to the N scale MTL BX trucks.

The original inquiry was about trucks like these:

These have longer wheelbase.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 09:00:57 PM by peteski »
. . . 42 . . .

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +986
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2020, 09:37:11 PM »
The MT BX truck scales out to a 64" wheelbase.  The truck used under the ATSF car that eventually became BN 30 has an 88" wheelbase.  So, generally similar, but 2' longer.  My guess is that GSC offered the truck in several wheelbases (probably also some bearing options)- so there may be variations between the trucks used by different roads.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 09:38:52 PM by thomasjmdavis »
Tom D.

I have a mind like a steel trap...a VERY rusty, old steel trap.

arbomambo

• Crew
  • Respect: +931
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2020, 09:59:14 PM »
The Micro-Trains BX truck, as shown under my last photo, is far too short...
The Skytop casting represents the 64’ cars that were first delivered in 1956.
The BNSF car in the original post represents a car modified from the 74’ cars, first delivered in 1958, so the Skytop models casting doesn’t work for this car.
Also, sadly, the beautiful S scale brass casting shown by Lemosteam doesn’t work either as it has outside hanger brakes whereas the ATSF express trucks had disc brakes.
"STILL Thrilled to be in N scale!"

Bruce M. Arbo
CATT- Coastal Alabama T-TRAK
https://nationalt-traklayout.com/