Author Topic: Passenger car truck  (Read 4597 times)

Sokramiketes

• Crew
  • Better modeling through peer pressure...
  • Respect: +1233
    • Modutrak
Re: Passenger car truck
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2020, 09:29:16 PM »
I look forward to a correct truck for the ATSF economy baggage cars, so keep at it!  I'll buy some too.

My cars were going to use modified FVM Hiawatha trucks.  They are 8ft wheel base instead of 7'4", but, once most of the trimming is done, are as close as I've been able to come with reasonable effort. 

Ike the BN Freak

• Crew
  • Respect: +81
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2020, 10:10:17 PM »

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +980
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2020, 10:56:22 PM »
Ike,

Do you have some evidence that the car was shortened? (which is what I assume you mean by "cut down")  The car obviously had the sides rebuilt.  But do you have drawings or something that indicate that they modified the frame and made the car shorter?
It was 74' when built.  (or, according to Trager, 73'11" if 1/160 of an inch is something you are worried about)
Tom D.

I have a mind like a steel trap...a VERY rusty, old steel trap.

Ike the BN Freak

• Crew
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2020, 12:35:45 AM »
Ike,

Do you have some evidence that the car was shortened? (which is what I assume you mean by "cut down")  The car obviously had the sides rebuilt.  But do you have drawings or something that indicate that they modified the frame and made the car shorter?
It was 74' when built.  (or, according to Trager, 73'11" if 1/160 of an inch is something you are worried about)

I was just going based off the first post you had, where you mention 70' in this case, took that to mean this car was 70' long versus 74'

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2020, 09:49:47 AM »
Ike,
OK, mea culpa.  I apologize for any confusion I inadvertently caused.

Do note that Bruce corrected me (in terms of total length) in the following comment, and I myself have used 74' throughout afterwards.  And I made no comment indicating anything was "cut down".

And in my own defense, it is common in ATSF nomenclature, to use the inside dimensions of a baggage car, or the "over the end sills" measure of a chair car, in references.  Hence, an ATSF 70' chair car is 78' m/l (with vestibules and diaphragms) and a 70' baggage is 74' long m/l (with end structure and diaphragms).  But since the Ellington/Shine Head End Car book used total length for these cars, we will go with that.

With that, I think I will just get back to sending whatever info and resources I can to Lemosteam to get the trucks made.  Best of luck with your project.

Tom D.

Ike the BN Freak

• Crew
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2020, 01:36:50 AM »
Thanks Tom, makes sense now.

Now to figure out where to get a 74' version of this car...and also decide if I really want to do it, the decal sheet that microscale made doesn't include a "Q" or a squiggly line I can fudge to an "O" and make into the Q. That and BN didn't have this car until 95 which is past my era...however I have seen this car in person on the front of an intermodal train going over Crawford Hill as a kid

Sokramiketes

• Crew
  • Better modeling through peer pressure...
  • Respect: +1233
    • Modutrak
« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2020, 10:47:30 AM »
+1
This is a bit off topic, but back when Bachmann introduced their smoothside passenger cars a couple years ago, I speculated that those cars were actually modeled after (and might be scale models of) the 70' versions of the ATSF "semi lightweight baggage express".  They even put "Santa Fe" baggage doors on them.  Which could make the smoothside car (that they do not letter for ATSF) a more accurate Santa Fe model than the Budd car (that they do letter for ATSF)- well, not counting the roof vents.

Thanks for the tip @thomasjmdavis.  It does turn into a pretty good Santa Fe baggage.  I removed the strange roof hatches, scribed the roof seams, added some new vents, and grab irons/steps.  It's certainly looks like a Santa Fe car!

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Any updates on trucks?  :)

Ike the BN Freak

• Crew
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2021, 10:29:54 PM »
Now that Circus City does the decals in HO, so hopefully N soon. Any updates on these trucks? And what would be the best starting point for the car, the Bachmann?

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2021, 10:40:34 PM »
+1
Now that Circus City does the decals in HO, so hopefully N soon. Any updates on these trucks? And what would be the best starting point for the car, the Bachmann?
Trucks have been available for a while-
https://www.shapeways.com/shops/technicalatsf

Tom D.

Ike the BN Freak

• Crew
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2021, 12:49:43 AM »
It appears that Union Station Products makes sides for the 74' car, https://unionstationproducts.com/atchison-topeka-amp-santa-fe/-7653-atsf-ps-smooth-side-74-baggage.html

Anyone know for certain this is the correct car?