Author Topic: Passenger car truck  (Read 4619 times)

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +3123
    • Designer at Keystone Details
Re: Passenger car truck
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2020, 06:51:14 AM »
Now I'm confused.   Are two different types of trucks are now being discussed here?  John, your truck looks very similar (short wheelbase) to the N scale MTL BX trucks.

The original inquiry was about trucks like these:

These have longer wheelbase.

@peteski ,

Hence my correction and statement that I could create this by modifying my cad to make the OP truck.  Especially now that I know the correct wheelbase,

All: Who wants some?  otherwise I won't bother.

arbomambo

• Crew
  • Respect: +931
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2020, 08:21:31 AM »
I need, at least, 5 pairs!
"STILL Thrilled to be in N scale!"

Bruce M. Arbo
CATT- Coastal Alabama T-TRAK
https://nationalt-traklayout.com/

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +986
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2020, 10:15:05 AM »
I need at least 2 pair, but I need to go through my books to check other express cars, so might be more. 

Bolster designed for an ALM floor/bolster?  Also, should it be a 36" wheel?  I yield to Bruce on both [ponts based on his expertise and larger quantity ordered.

Is there "nomenclature" for the truck we are discussing other than "similar to a MT BX truck, but 2' longer with disc brakes?" 
Tom D.

I have a mind like a steel trap...a VERY rusty, old steel trap.

arbomambo

• Crew
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2020, 11:01:10 AM »
Double drop equalized high speed baggage/express trucks... or just high speed baggage/express trucks

Bruce M. Arbo

Lemosteam

• Crew
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2020, 12:07:51 PM »
I need at least 2 pair, but I need to go through my books to check other express cars, so might be more. 

Bolster designed for an ALM floor/bolster?  Also, should it be a 36" wheel?  I yield to Bruce on both [ponts based on his expertise and larger quantity ordered.

Is there "nomenclature" for the truck we are discussing other than "similar to a MT BX truck, but 2' longer with disc brakes?"

I will make it look like the truck in the images and will work to any other drawings anyone has.  Don't think I can support disc brakes except to hide the center of the wheel with a pseudo-disc on the sideframe that will not rotate.  I do not have an ALM core kit bolster so someone would have to provide a top of truck beam center to top of rail dimension and a bolster shoulder diameter to clear.

It appears there is also a version of this truck with brake pads too?

However, I cannot get lost in a huge design rabbit hole of perfection on this, I have many projects, unless someone is willing to compensate for design time and I will schedule it into those timelines.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4593
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2020, 12:53:55 PM »
I will make it look like the truck in the images and will work to any other drawings anyone has.  Don't think I can support disc brakes except to hide the center of the wheel with a pseudo-disc on the sideframe that will not rotate. 

While I'm not an expert on ATSF, I'm pretty sure those were inboard disk brakes.  I don't think any trans of that time period had outboard-mounted brake disks.  Probably something like this.

. . . 42 . . .

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2020, 01:14:35 PM »
John,

I sent an attachment to the Keystone Details email with the best images I have and note the description in the caption.

I don't need brakes or bearings to rotate (after all, Kato's don't).

As far as the brake pads and "ears" or "goosenecks" it does appear that GSC/GSI made the basic truck both ways.  The photos I have of ATSF "semi lightweight baggage-express cars" of both 60 and 70' versions all show the disk brake version with no "ears". (see the page scan in Bruce's message of 5:31 pm yesterday.)
Tom D.

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2020, 01:21:18 PM »
While I'm not an expert on ATSF, I'm pretty sure those were inboard disk brakes.  I don't think any trans of that time period had outboard-mounted brake disks.  Probably something like this.

Yes, the disc brakes are very similar to those in your photo.  The ATSF (well General Steel as used by ATSF) also had a v-belt drive generator with the pulley approximately center on one axle.  Which was also not really visible from the side view (and would require us to pull wheelsets apart to install).  The Timken bearings did move, but personally, I won't worry about it until Kato starts installing miniature roller bearings on their cars.
Tom D.

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2020, 01:32:17 PM »
This is a bit off topic, but back when Bachmann introduced their smoothside passenger cars a couple years ago, I speculated that those cars were actually modeled after (and might be scale models of) the 70' versions of the ATSF "semi lightweight baggage express".  They even put "Santa Fe" baggage doors on them.  Which could make the smoothside car (that they do not letter for ATSF) a more accurate Santa Fe model than the Budd car (that they do letter for ATSF)- well, not counting the roof vents.
Tom D.

bnsfdash8

• Crew
  • Respect: +1306
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2020, 07:03:52 PM »
I'd be in for a pair.

My NS HEP car looks goofy with the MT trucks.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
Reese
Modeling Norfolk Southern one loco at a time.

arbomambo

• Crew
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2020, 07:38:15 PM »
I’m really not sure how this has gotten confusing...
There are only one type of truck represented in this thread...
The high speed baggage/express trucks shown in the original post, under a BNSF car, modified from a 74’ ATSF semi-lightweight smoothside baggage. These trucks were used on the ATSF 64’ and 74’ semi-lightweight smoothside baggage cars provided to the Santa Fe from Pullman as ‘kits’. There were not two ‘types’ of these trucks ( with ‘ears’ and without)
There was only the one type that I shared in my previous post with scans of the truck drawing and semi-lightweight  smooth-side photos; taken directly from the “Santa Fe Head-end Car reference book”.
This truck had no ‘ears’ and used inside disc brakes.
 I posted photos of my models using available trucks to show how wrong they look without a proper high speed baggage/express truck.

Bruce M. Arbo

Lemosteam

• Crew
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2020, 09:16:10 PM »
I’m really not sure how this has gotten confusing...
There are only one type of truck represented in this thread...
The high speed baggage/express trucks shown in the original post, under a BNSF car, modified from a 74’ ATSF semi-lightweight smoothside baggage. These trucks were used on the ATSF 64’ and 74’ semi-lightweight smoothside baggage cars provided to the Santa Fe from Pullman as ‘kits’. There were not two ‘types’ of these trucks ( with ‘ears’ and without)
There was only the one type that I shared in my previous post with scans of the truck drawing and semi-lightweight  smooth-side photos; taken directly from the “Santa Fe Head-end Car reference book”.
This truck had no ‘ears’ and used inside disc brakes.
 I posted photos of my models using available trucks to show how wrong they look without a proper high speed baggage/express truck.

As I apologized, ME, I am the one that made it confusing. I know what is needed now.

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2020, 09:29:13 PM »
Bruce,  all the info I have on the trucks (the express box drawing I posted a couple days ago up the thread a ways, and measurements taken from drawings in the Head End Cars book and Trager's drawing in the Oct 2005 MR) shows 36" wheels.  Can you confirm that for John as well.

Also, since it looks like you may be looking for more of these than anyone else, do you have a preference on whether they are "optimized" for the Skytop model, an ALM core kit, or some other option?  I am sure its just a .010 shim or slight trim of a bolster, regardless, but since these are more or less "to order"...

Although, now that I look at the Skytop kit, I think Bill may have used a modified ALM core to make his master.
Tom D.

Ike the BN Freak

• Crew
  • Respect: +81
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2020, 01:39:22 AM »
Some of the added details of the car are bringing up a question for myself. Was the car a 74' car cut down, to 70' or something else, basically, what is the length of this car?

arbomambo

• Crew
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2020, 07:12:15 AM »
74’

Bruce M. Arbo