Author Topic: going Soundtraxx in BLI t1  (Read 1298 times)

propmeup1@verizon.net

• Crew
  • Respect: +6
going Soundtraxx in BLI t1
« on: September 01, 2019, 03:21:44 PM »
Has anyone transplanted a decoder yet in the BLI T1 ?  I've had my share of the crap coming from these decoders and not just the T1, My E7s have been giving me fits.  I've written off the the one set of centipedes I have. The other still runs but the first went to BLI four times and the second three times. I've spent well over $100 in postage just to send them not counting the usual 6 weeks waiting if not more at times.
    They make beautiful engines but my luck with them has been 50/50. The 2-8-2s have been good so far.
So I want to go with a Soundtraxx in the T1. Just wondering if anyone has done so and have any tips before I dig into it.    Too bad they can't get it together at BLI and make the decoder dependable. I been running NCE system with NO trouble with any other decoders or engines, just BLI. Is it me or should I not be surprised ?    I'm tired of resetting the decoders often and now in the T1s case it lost reverse. It makes full sounds including chuffing when in reverse but does not move.
Thanks up front,
Keith

Tom Todd

• Crew
Re: going Soundtraxx in BLI t1
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2019, 12:05:00 AM »
As far as BLI changing decoders, I think it is a problem. They are very invested in Rolling Thunder. I’ve been on a layout that had this feature and had mixed thoughts. On one loco at a time it’s okay but not a feature I’m interested in. I don’t know how it would work multiple locos.
TomTodd

learmoia

• Crew
  • Respect: +225
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2019, 12:35:54 AM »
If your having issues with BLI locomotives specifically (but not other sound locos, try to set CV11=0 on the BLI loco..

If changing to a SoundTraxx decoder 'fixes' the locomotive with the bad BLI decoder... CV11 may fix the bad BLI decoder...

Just a thought...

~Ian
Don't Neglect the Jewel Case!

propmeup1@verizon.net

• Crew
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2019, 04:57:39 PM »
I just tried CV11 to 0. All it done was make the whistle blow over and over till i reset it again. humm. Not sure what to do next but as I said, BLI engines are giving me a fit. They don't want to hear about it either. Sure they'll repair it but then i'm without another engine for six or more weeks.

Jbub

• Crew
  • HP 9999
  • Respect: +207
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2019, 06:00:08 PM »
+2
Paragon decoder's... the whole reason I don't buy BLI. They have some great models (among others that aren't so great) but I want to put my own decoder in them. 
"Noooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!"

Darth Vader

Sharky_McSharknose

• Crew
  • Respect: +31
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2019, 10:39:26 PM »
I haven't seen a Soundtraxx replacement. John Colombo did replace the BLI decoder in a BLI Alco PA with LokSound. There's likely some good information in here to get you by with putting Soundtraxx into your E7s and Centipedes.

https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=38621.0

Mike C

• Crew
  • Respect: +78
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2019, 06:53:05 PM »
  Didn't do a T1 , but I did have @woodone  replace the decoders in my M1's with Tsunami 2's .  The Paragon decoders had fantastic whistle sounds , but I wasn't happy with the rest . And they had some "bugs" .....Mike

k27463

• Crew
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2019, 10:04:24 AM »
Should be fairly easy if the N scale wiring matches the HO wiring.

Outer two wires on the plug are rails, next two are motor, next two are headlight (polarity may vary and they use LEDs, so toss a 1k resistor in before you try to wire it up).

It'll have another wire for the chuff cam which you won't need anymore.

Viperjim1

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2019, 10:11:04 AM »
I have the UP Heritage collection in Kato and was going to get them in BLI but have heard nothing but bad things about their decoders and don't want to invest that much money in junk or possible junk. I'll just put sound on my fleet and be done with it.

propmeup1@verizon.net

• Crew
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2019, 07:44:11 PM »
It's too bad that BLI has to do their own thing which is fine if you can make it work and keep it working.  I love their engines, especially the Pennsy stuff. My five M1s are good, had trouble with one of four PAs. The F7s pull like crap unless you put Frog snot on the wheels. Two of the three T1s are raising hell right now and i have an E7 not working. Centipede set #1 went back four times and is still a siding queen.  Cent set #2 is doing ok after three trips to BLI.  I have found the two 2-8-2s are sweat, so far.
    For the price of them, especially the T1s and centipedes you would think the decoders would last.  So if I replace the decoders in the T1s that will be another $108 in each engine on top of the near $300 i paid for them.   
    Guess I'll stop my whining and get to it on the transplants.
Keith

peteski

• Crew
  • Respect: +1887
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2019, 08:32:18 PM »
Centipede set #1 went back four times and is still a siding queen. 

You didn't say what the problem with your Centipedes was, but mine was extremely narrow in gauge. So much that it climbs frogs of Atlas c55 turnouts!  Its electric pickup is also questionable.  Mine is currently mothballed to be worked on (at some later time).  I have too many projects!   :)
--- Peteski de Snarkski
--- Honorary Resident Curmudgeon

propmeup1@verizon.net

• Crew
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2019, 09:20:41 PM »
Where should i start,  :facepalm:  Well i received the first set in the mail. Put them on the track and the only thing they did was stutter. I called MB Klines north of Balt. They said send them to them. I drove down there and exchanged them. That was set one the first time.  Ok on to the second set of set one. They ran good for about three weeks then just stopped, done no more, dead. I sent them to BLI for repair.  Like an idiot I purchased a second set because i really like them big ugly things.  Thinking they would be alright and the first set was just a dud.
   I was wrong, before i got the first set back, the second set took a sh-t. Same symptoms.  I sent these to BLI. Got the first set back and ran them for awhile. i too noticed the wheels were too close by a lot !  Also both sets have pick up issues galore.  I've tried several fixes but nothing really helps them.
   So this went on and on with the cents till now i have one running set and as said the first set sit on a siding looking pretty and that's all.  Maybe one day i'll put in decoders bu i really don't feel like dropping $220 more in these engines.
    But they are good looking engines i must say and that is all.

propmeup1@verizon.net

• Crew
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2019, 09:25:22 PM »
I was slightly wrong about the centipedes with pick up issues. Sure they have issues but what really helps set #2 is I run a M1 on the point and when the cents want to stall the M1 keeps the train moving nice. It helps drag the cents till they pick up again and it's not even noticeable.   I also like running steam on the point of diesels too. Gives that early 50's look of steams last hu-rra.

And there is my 2 cents. :D

dem34

• Crew
  • Respect: +15
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2019, 09:38:49 PM »
You didn't say what the problem with your Centipedes was, but mine was extremely narrow in gauge. So much that it climbs frogs of Atlas c55 turnouts!  Its electric pickup is also questionable.  Mine is currently mothballed to be worked on (at some later time).  I have too many projects!   :)

I noticed, normally that wouldn't be too much of a Pita. But of all locomotives to have this issue it had to be a Centipede.
-Al

peteski

• Crew
  • Respect: +1887
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2019, 09:50:03 PM »
Where should i start,  :facepalm:  Well i received the first set in the mail. Put them on the track and the only thing they did was stutter. I called MB Klines north of Balt. They said send them to them. I drove down there and exchanged them. That was set one the first time.  Ok on to the second set of set one. They ran good for about three weeks then just stopped, done no more, dead. I sent them to BLI for repair.  Like an idiot I purchased a second set because i really like them big ugly things.  Thinking they would be alright and the first set was just a dud.
   I was wrong, before i got the first set back, the second set took a sh-t. Same symptoms.  I sent these to BLI. Got the first set back and ran them for awhile. i too noticed the wheels were too close by a lot !  Also both sets have pick up issues galore.  I've tried several fixes but nothing really helps them.
   So this went on and on with the cents till now i have one running set and as said the first set sit on a siding looking pretty and that's all.  Maybe one day i'll put in decoders bu i really don't feel like dropping $220 more in these engines.
    But they are good looking engines i must say and that is all.

WOW!  Allrigthy then . . . .  :facepalm:
And yes, they are beautiful models (and with all their warts, still better in every aspect than the brass Centipedes).
I also agree that a person should not have to futz around with a model that costs as much as those do. They should run, out of the box,  like the proverbial swiss watch.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 09:52:25 PM by peteski »
--- Peteski de Snarkski
--- Honorary Resident Curmudgeon