Author Topic: Out of the Box Models?  (Read 10699 times)

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +1249
Out of the Box Models?
« on: June 10, 2019, 05:04:32 AM »
I'm starting to get a bit concerned. I originally commissioned them to produce a Comet II coach. Obviously that is no longer needed. I tried sending several emails to them to ask the status of the project, and if it hasn't begun yet if I could change the project to a Kawasaki bi-level. Nothing.
There's a shyness found in reason
Apprehensive influence swallow away
You seem to feel abysmal take it
Then you're careful grace for sure
Kinda like the way you're breathing
Kinda like the way you keep looking away

screeh

• Crew
  • Respect: +7
Re: Out of the Box Models?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2019, 06:27:08 AM »
I had a brief exchange of emails with Dan Greenblatt in late May (checking in on the Crandall cab E8s), maybe reach out again?

Jim Starbuck

• Crew
  • Respect: +2090
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2019, 06:34:39 AM »
I got an email on 3/11 regarding the Erie Built shells.
Modutrak Iowa Division
Modutrak.com
Better modeling through peer pressure

JMaurer1

• Crew
  • Respect: +291
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2019, 11:53:44 AM »
I sent them an email about the SP B-50-15 and B-50-16 Boxcars that have been marked 'coming soon' and 'out of stock' asking about an ETA...crickets. I can only assume that life is interfering, but it only takes a second to answer an email saying that. However, the stuff that they have already made is top notch (like the SP 40' RPO...beautiful). Hope that everything is okay with them.
Sacramento Valley NRail and NTrak
We're always looking for new members

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +531
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2019, 12:48:28 PM »
For those new to this or interested: https://outoftheboxmodels.com/

Mark

BCOL 747

• Crew
  • Respect: +143
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2019, 12:53:51 PM »
I put an order in with him several months ago and haven't seen anything. I received one email after inquiring about the status of the order and Dan said that they were down for several weeks.

I waited the several weeks and still nothing. Dan has not responded to any of my inquires since then. Not trying to submarine the guy, just want to know what is up with my order?

Chris

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5508
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2019, 01:17:12 PM »
+6
Is this the guy who can never produce good photos of the products and instead keeps talking about how busy he is?

Dirk Jan Blikkendaal

• Crew
  • Respect: +288
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2019, 03:20:40 PM »
Getting concerned as well reading these posts........ ordered and paid an ATSF E1 A+B set on May 10..... last week asked for status update.... no answer yet........ hopefully just a minor hickup.....
SANTA FE ALL THE WAY
1950-1960
ATSF N Scale Models

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +986
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2019, 04:16:37 PM »
+1
I do hope everyone is ok and lack of response is not an indication of health or family issues. 

I am in on that original order for SP boxcars as well- seems like it must be at least a year of "coming soon".  I want to "see it with my own eyes" before ordering anything else.  I think he has made a mistake by portraying himself as CEO and always talking as though there were engineers and CAD-techs and painters working 40 hour weeks- I get the impression that it is very much a part time business and he occasionally draws on help from various talented friends and local club members.  I apologize if I am mistaken, but see no evidence of quantity production.

Updates (that I can find)
 Sept. 13, 2018: "The SP boxes are waiting on test prints. "
 March 27, 2019: "The B-50-15s are done in Wood and Steel, still working on the B-50-16. As soon as all 4 are done, I will send one of each to everyone who got one. "
Tom D.

I have a mind like a steel trap...a VERY rusty, old steel trap.

randgust

• Crew
  • Respect: +2035
    • Randgust N Scale Kits
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2019, 08:37:12 AM »
Dan printed the MRS1 shell that I got for a custom build project, and it was significantly better on surface resolution quality than anything Shapeways ever did.  That was about nine months ago.

He was having issues with his printer and cure times, I got some significant warp issues after full curing (measured in weeks) on another shell he tried - bowed out in the center.   And the material got really brittle after full cure, you couldn't bend it back.  Not as bad as FUD, but close.   

But the end result on the MRS1 was worth it, just sayin'.   Way better than Shapeways.    What you see in this photo was not primed, filled, or sanded - just painted.   http://www.randgust.com/ALCMRS25.jpg

« Last Edit: June 11, 2019, 08:58:30 AM by randgust »

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1326
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2019, 02:01:21 AM »
I'd take a dozen of those - if they were Nn3.
N Kalanaga
Be well

reinhardtjh

• Crew
  • Respect: +328
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2019, 02:18:25 AM »
I ordered a C636 shell in early January and received it in late March.  Printing was excellent but I got no progress reports nor communications.  It just showed up one day.
John H. Reinhardt
PRRT&HS #8909
C&O HS #11530
N-Trak #7566

JMaurer1

• Crew
  • Respect: +291
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2019, 11:35:38 AM »
Oh, their printing is second to none. The Sp/T&NO 40 ft RPO is beautiful. Even has a complete interior although the windows are almost too small to see in. Waiting for them to do a SP south city caboose (which was a converted 40' RPO) and the SP boxcars...but then again, everyone seems to be waiting.
Sacramento Valley NRail and NTrak
We're always looking for new members

Sharky_McSharknose

• Crew
  • Respect: +79
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2019, 10:25:17 PM »
Well, this isn't good: the Out Of The Box Models website is still up, but all of the products have been pulled so now you can't order through it. I was going to buy the C636 kit too! I can't find any announcements as to why on the webpage itself or on the proprietor's personal website. The contact form is still up and I sent an e-mail. We'll see if I get an answer...

Ike the BN Freak

• Crew
  • Respect: +81
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2019, 03:24:57 AM »
This was posted on their Facebook page the other day,

"Due to unforeseen personal obligations, I am suspending all new orders from Out of the Box, effective Immediately.

We will continue to work on printing and shipping the outstanding orders, and developing all outstanding commissioned models that have yet to be delivered.

Thank you for your understanding."