Author Topic: Out of the Box Models?  (Read 10716 times)

randgust

• Crew
  • Respect: +2041
    • Randgust N Scale Kits
Re: Out of the Box Models?
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2019, 02:12:30 PM »
+1
wow, sorry to hear that.

I was really hoping he had something going here, because the quality was definitely better than Shapeways and the price was less; with his own printer he was getting the margin rather than them.  I'd still like to be optimistic that the business model of having your own printer rather than being a designer to a Shapeways works better.   But you're still at the mercy of a technical machine and the support behind it.   I found with resin casting that I just had to shut down, period, during the summer because the impact of even slightly increased humidity was a significant loss in quality.   Pick it up again i the fall.  But it took a lot of really, really bad results before I was willing to accept that conclusion.

I have a policy of sending out full kit instructions BEFORE purchase to make sure people know what they are getting into even if I loose a few sales, that's OK.  Kits are on-hand before billed, and custom builds only do a deposit to cover purchased parts.  That's helped, but I just recently accepted an unopened return from almost five years ago when the customer admitted they couldn't assemble it given a change in their health. 

I think it helped to work in a hobby shop so that you've already heard every 'dog ate my homework' situation that can apply to model railroading.

I do admit though, that when I've been at shows and people bring in finished models to show me, that's just the best ever, when I've walked them through new skills they didn't think they could even do.   Makes my entire day.

learmoia

• Crew
  • Respect: +908
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2019, 03:24:44 PM »
1000% this!!..

And CESM would have been on my home grown list.. and I did t realize they were 'Purchased' by Out of the box.. ( 'purchased' may just be rights to produce digital files).

But if the person who developed CESM wants out and can get a few bucks for digital files.. any idiot can 'buy the company'

~Ian
« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 03:27:51 PM by learmoia »
~Ian

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2288
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2019, 04:42:43 PM »
+1
And that was my fault. When Out of the Box purchased CESM, I figured they were legit. ...

Oh, crap. I didn't think I had a dog in this hunt, but I forgot about the CESM relationship. The young fellow (in college) who was squeezing CESM into his schedule had done a whole bunch of work solving the to-scale 3-color signal issue, including controller electronics. In fact, after his successful prototype run I put in a pre-paid order for something like 150 signal heads, but he balked, understandably, admitting that the size of the order and that I was the only one asking for a large quantity was taking on too much risk on his part. Full refund, to his credit.

He sold the signal stuff to OOTB along with everything else; I corresponded, response was essentially "I don't understand the signal electronics and the software that goes with it," etc., etc., we'll get back to you.

So... all the PCB artwork, production contacts, firmware design and the rest of it is now figuratively at the bottom of SF Bay. That was a lot of work, gone. Great. Just great. :x

I think we are hoping beyond hope that we will see another BLMA and @Craig Martyn , a youngster who took a "mom's kitchen table" operation into the big time. "Craig, we miss you, man."

EDITED: Amazing... on a lark I looked to see when the last time Craig checked-in to TRW. It was last Sunday. He's still keeping up with us, at least in spirit!  8)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 05:54:10 PM by C855B »

railnerd

• Crew
  • Respect: +230
« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2019, 08:47:21 PM »
He sold the signal stuff to OOTB along with everything else; I corresponded, response was essentially "I don't understand the signal electronics and the software that goes with it," etc., etc., we'll get back to you.

Talk to @Wutter about signals— even though he has a "real job" now, he's got neat stuff.

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2288
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2019, 11:08:20 PM »
Possibly. The only PCB work Alvin has done that I am aware of is an excellent signal base/interconnect mostly intended for the Showcase Miniatures searchlight. Beyond that he has a plethora of signal details such as cabinets and bases. I should drop him a note.

Spades

• Crew
  • Respect: +153
« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2019, 04:27:13 PM »
I spoke to Alvin/Wutter at the BAPM 2019, he had a DV signal on display.  I spoke to him about a similar resin 3-color signal seen here on the railwire.

For anyone getting into starting a small business.  Time is hard to come by after a day at work and if you have family it's even tougher.  Even harder is the motivation to do that extra side job.  Don't accept cash unless you can provide a finish product.  Having some inventory on the shelf probably would be a good start.

coosvalley

• Crew
  • Respect: +639
« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2019, 08:14:23 AM »
+1
Out of your Bucks Models!

Has anyone tried tagging him to get his attention to this thread?
@orionfield ?

Dirk Jan Blikkendaal

• Crew
  • Respect: +288
« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2019, 08:55:38 AM »
I did send him a Facebook message on Wednesday asking how my order status was.
No answer yet.......
SANTA FE ALL THE WAY
1950-1960
ATSF N Scale Models

Dirk Jan Blikkendaal

• Crew
  • Respect: +288
« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2019, 09:07:02 AM »
The message was opened by Out of the Box on Thursday by the way.
SANTA FE ALL THE WAY
1950-1960
ATSF N Scale Models

learmoia

• Crew
« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2019, 10:18:09 AM »

@orionfield ?

Wasn't this the guy who had access to the 'color' 3d printer?.. and an example of a BN (Wabash single window caboose).. with the BN logo printed in the model?

~Ian
~Ian

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4611
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2019, 12:53:39 PM »
Wasn't this the guy who had access to the 'color' 3d printer?.. and an example of a BN (Wabash single window caboose).. with the BN logo printed in the model?

~Ian

Yup.  Amazing revolutionary technology!
. . . 42 . . .

mu26aeh

• Crew
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2019, 08:15:24 PM »

@orionfield ?

Last active was 2 months ago

learmoia

• Crew
« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2019, 10:30:16 PM »
Last active was 2 months ago

Yeah he seemed a little sketchy to me... Lots of talk but, very few pictures.. and what he did have were not anything decent.. When when we started asking for more details, and better photos.. he started with the excuses..  :RUEffinKiddingMe:

~Ian

~Ian

draskouasshat

• Crew
  • Respect: +641
« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2019, 11:15:04 PM »
Yeah he seemed a little sketchy to me... Lots of talk but, very few pictures.. and what he did have were not anything decent.. When when we started asking for more details, and better photos.. he started with the excuses..  :RUEffinKiddingMe:

~Ian

I got the models I ordered just fine!. Im under the impression that he just bit off more than he could chew. if hes taking as break to catch up on models, that would be fine as long as he explains it to the customers still owed models.

Drasko
Draskos Modelworks. Contact me for your 3D modeling needs!
SFM (Super Fleet Modeler) member #1
I HAVE 3800 class santa fe 2-10-2s!!

learmoia

• Crew
« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2019, 11:51:46 PM »
I got the models I ordered just fine!. Im under the impression that he just bit off more than he could chew. if hes taking as break to catch up on models, that would be fine as long as he explains it to the customers still owed models.

Drasko

Very true... communication goes along way..

So.. from what I can tell... This is the only photo of an actual thing.. on his website..

~Ian