Author Topic: BLI Announces Non-PRR USRA Heavy and Light Mikado  (Read 4357 times)

peteski

• Crew
  • Respect: +1849
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: BLI Announces Non-PRR USRA Heavy and Light Mikado
« Reply #75 on: June 09, 2019, 10:36:21 PM »
Seemed to work for the few I want a K4 whiners so ill keep pushing forward.

You seriously thing that whining here made the difference?  You (and at least few thousand of other modelers) need to actually tell the manufacturers what you want.  Use Facebook, Twitter, email or even snail mail.  Get your friends to write in too.
--- Peteski de Snarkski
--- Honorary Resident Curmudgeon

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +250
« Reply #76 on: June 10, 2019, 10:56:08 AM »
You seriously thing that whining here made the difference?  You (and at least few thousand of other modelers) need to actually tell the manufacturers what you want.  Use Facebook, Twitter, email or even snail mail.  Get your friends to write in too.
We have been rather spoiled by having a large number of manufacturers, large and small, with owners and employees who actively participate here.  So all it takes is an @ to have a conversation with someone who can actually make things happen at those companies.  Frankly, I think if it were not for "whining" on Railwire, the Micro-trains baggage car might have turned out to be an 82' rebuilt Pullman car- essentially similar to the old Rivarossi baggage minus the "Santa Fe sill."  Instead (because of requests, research, suggestions, whining, arguments, promises to buy a whole bunch if they made them) we got the 70' baggage, granted an Erie RR prototype, but seems to sell well enough in a variety of paint schemes that they haven't had time yet to paint it in the most popular  Erie scheme (2 tone green) or EL scheme- and led to a series of 70' head end cars.  Conversations here on Railwire have also spawned any number of smaller manufacturer's projects from automobile models to buildings to freight car kits.

That said, @peteski makes a good point, there really is nothing that gets the job done like a well written letter or email.  Doesn't hurt at all if you provide some resources or research- this also demonstrates that you are serious when you say "I want a...."  And don't forget to mention WHY you are contacting that particular company- what is distinctive about their product line that makes you want the product from them?

But that said, I think we all have certain inalienable rights, and among those rights is whining about not having ATSF steam, or 1937 Budd Super Chiefs, or E1s, or even whining about not having any GTW steam.  Since, in the case of the latter, unless I see desktop 3-D printing of metal chassis parts in my lifetime, that just isn't going to happen commercially. 
Tom D.

Some things are better left unsaid. Which I generally realize right after I have said them.

nickelplate759

• Crew
  • Respect: +142
« Reply #77 on: June 10, 2019, 11:24:34 AM »
Going back to the original topic (USRA heavy and light Mikado), I'm delighted they are doing these, and even MORE delighted that they are not doing the light Mikado in NKP (yet) as I'm still working on the three Model Power/MRC models I've bought over the years :)
George

NKPH&TS #3628

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.

peteski

• Crew
  • Respect: +1849
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #78 on: June 10, 2019, 03:01:06 PM »
+1
We have been rather spoiled by having a large number of manufacturers, large and small, with owners and employees who actively participate here.  So all it takes is an @ to have a conversation with someone who can actually make things happen at those companies.  Frankly, I think if it were not for "whining" on Railwire, the Micro-trains baggage car might have turned out to be an 82' rebuilt Pullman car- essentially similar to the old Rivarossi baggage minus the "Santa Fe sill."  Instead (because of requests, research, suggestions, whining, arguments, promises to buy a whole bunch if they made them) we got the 70' baggage, granted an Erie RR prototype, but seems to sell well enough in a variety of paint schemes that they haven't had time yet to paint it in the most popular  Erie scheme (2 tone green) or EL scheme- and led to a series of 70' head end cars.  Conversations here on Railwire have also spawned any number of smaller manufacturer's projects from automobile models to buildings to freight car kits.

Sure, it is true that the Railwire's think-tank of knowledgeable modelers did present lots of techincal info and valid points to Micro Trains for making that model.  And not to forget, MTL was already going to produce a baggage car.

But that wasn't whining - it was lots of factual and convincing info presented by several individuals.  We also dont' know how many others (in other forums or even direct contact with MTL) presented their arguments for making that baggage car.

But here we have a single individual "crying" about not getting any "ATSF love".  Come on, ATSF is already one of the most modeled roadnames in every scale.  :facepalm:
--- Peteski de Snarkski
--- Honorary Resident Curmudgeon

jdcolombo

• Crew
  • Respect: +567
« Reply #79 on: June 10, 2019, 04:59:53 PM »
Going back to the original topic (USRA heavy and light Mikado), I'm delighted they are doing these, and even MORE delighted that they are not doing the light Mikado in NKP (yet) as I'm still working on the three Model Power/MRC models I've bought over the years :)

Hi George.

I couldn't resist.  I pre-ordered two of the un-lettered light Mikes that I'll add NKP lettering to.  I'm hoping that I'm impressed . . .  If they have the requisite pulling power, I'll probably sell off my NKP-lettered Kato heavy Mikes, but I'll keep the MRC/Model Power light Mikes I have in inventory.

John C.

Doug W

• Crew
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #80 on: June 10, 2019, 09:01:28 PM »

I don't need any, but I'm also delighted that someone is finally doing a USRA light Mikado in N. Those things were widespread and have been a real gap in N.

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +250
« Reply #81 on: June 11, 2019, 09:56:20 AM »
Doug, one assumes you are discounting the Atlas/Con-Cor/Rivarossi model that was in more or less constant production from 1969 until sometime in the mid 90s.  Granted, the only significant improvements I am aware of (thanks to Spookshow's site) was a new motor and new frame material (replacing the old zamac) in the late 1980s.  I was one of the lucky folks who bought both the Mike and Pacific of late Atlas era (mid 70s, just before Con Cor became the importer), that ran well, had no frame issues, and even had reasonable slow speed performance once I got a "Tech II" power pack.

After those came the Model Power version, and there were several releases of those, the last being 2015 under MRC ownership.  Granted, from what I've read, I am not sure if it is a Mike with a Pacific boiler, or the Pacifics were made with Mikado boilers, but I've read that the boilers of the two models are identical.
Tom D.

Some things are better left unsaid. Which I generally realize right after I have said them.

draskouasshat

• Crew
  • Respect: +199
« Reply #82 on: June 11, 2019, 11:15:53 PM »
+2
Sure, it is true that the Railwire's think-tank of knowledgeable modelers did present lots of techincal info and valid points to Micro Trains for making that model.  And not to forget, MTL was already going to produce a baggage car.

But that wasn't whining - it was lots of factual and convincing info presented by several individuals.  We also dont' know how many others (in other forums or even direct contact with MTL) presented their arguments for making that baggage car.

But here we have a single individual "crying" about not getting any "ATSF love".  Come on, ATSF is already one of the most modeled roadnames in every scale.  :facepalm:

Theres the old pompous peteski we all know. You can honestly shove your attitude right up your a$$. Is it fun being the guy that's a d-bag to everyone, criticizing their modeling, all while not showing any of his besides that dumbass fire truck?

Seriously pal, ill keep making my ATSF requests, and you can keep being an a$$. theres a reason not many people actually like you.

Signed, the guy that will say what everyone thinks.

@allofthemoderators................ youre welcome lol

Drasko
EFM (Elite Fleet Modeler) member #1
I want a 3800 class santa fe 2-10-2!
Modeling Cajon Pass in 1947

Dave V

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • The Route of the Galloping Goose
  • Respect: +3449
    • Dave Vollmer's N Scale Pennsy
« Reply #83 on: June 12, 2019, 08:52:26 PM »
+4
Guys, I'm starting to see more of this kind of anger and acrimony lately.  Don't know if it's the heat of summer or what, but let me lay it out:

1)  Name-calling and personal attacks are unwarranted under any circumstance.
2)  We lift each other up to a higher modeling standard via constructive criticism and example.  That's how we roll.  Don't have to sugar coat it but we also don't have to be d!cks about it either.
3)  Pennsy > AT&SF.     Just kidding.   :trollface:

Seriously, though, let's be a little more considerate of others when we write.
Silver San Juan Scenic Line

Member SlimRail Modular Colorado Narrow Gauge
http://www.slimrail.net/