Author Topic: BLI Announces Non-PRR USRA Heavy and Light Mikado  (Read 3609 times)

reinhardtjh

• Crew
  • Respect: +116
BLI Announces Non-PRR USRA Heavy and Light Mikado
« on: May 21, 2019, 11:35:07 AM »
+1
BLI has formally announce the USRA Heavy and Light Mikado 2-8-2 Steam locomotive who's picture was teased several months ago.  Currently scheduled for an August 2019 delivery on the Delivery Schedule page but the individual pages (see below) list July.  Take your pic s to which you believe.  :facepalm:

Main page (not much detail, just lists roads/numbers): https://www.broadway-limited.com/paragon3usramikado2-8-2nscale.aspx

Randomly selected individual page with more details: https://www.broadway-limited.com/5700usraheavymikadoatsf3287paragon3sounddcdccn.aspx

This is BLI's first Non-PRR specific steam loco.

FaceBook link: http://www.facebook.com/BroadwayLimited/posts/2415519955134482?comment_id=2416926401660504&notif_id=1558448839854410
« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 11:36:46 AM by reinhardtjh »
John H. Reinhardt
PRRT&HS #8909
C&O HS #11530
N-Trak #7566

learmoia

• Crew
  • Respect: +176
Re: BLI Announces Non-PRR USRA Heavy and Light Mikado
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2019, 12:03:03 PM »
Sweet!!  Keep 'me coming.. I love how they are announced with fully tooled painted samples...

Looking forward to the NYC steam lineup!!

~Ian
Don't Neglect the Jewel Case!

nthusiast

• Crew
  • Respect: +46
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2019, 12:09:15 PM »
Beautiful!

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +1985
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2019, 12:17:48 PM »
Interesting choice. Hope they do well with them!

glakedylan

• Crew
  • Respect: +58
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2019, 12:46:37 PM »
and, that leaves PRR fans still without a Mikado with a belpaire firebox except for the old GHB kits
which i gave up on long ago
oh well...
maybe there will be a PRR specific run?

"...that each may live for all,
and all may care for each..."

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +1183
    • Designer at Keystone Details
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2019, 12:53:50 PM »

"This is BLI's first Non-PRR specific steam loco."

In N Scale yes.  BLI has MANY HO non-PRR seam locos.

https://www.broadway-limited.com/steamho-3.aspx

glakedylan

• Crew
  • Respect: +58
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2019, 01:03:01 PM »
yes, John, thanks!
aware of BLI HO scale
as they sometimes use an HO image on their site
when announcing a new N scale production
just saying that the niche still is awaiting N scale
prr mikado.

i wish them well with the non-specific sales
no negativity intended
moreso a longtime grief of the GHQ never being
within my limitations due to illness

thanks for your note'

"...that each may live for all,
and all may care for each..."

mike_lawyer

• Crew
  • Respect: +20
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2019, 01:16:54 PM »
+1
Interesting choice. Hope they do well with them!

It is kind of an interesting choice given all the Kato Mikados that are out there.  You can pick up one of them, add a traction tire and the decoder of your choice, and probably end up paying a fraction of what BLI is going to charge.

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +818
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2019, 01:23:27 PM »
It is kind of an interesting choice given all the Kato Mikados that are out there.  You can pick up one of them, add a traction tire and the decoder of your choice, and probably end up paying a fraction of what BLI is going to charge.

BLI's penchant for duplicating Kato's offerings has been discussed at length: https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=46183
...mike

http://www.gibboncozadandwestern.com

We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents. We just don't tell anybody. -Bob Ross

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +165
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2019, 07:05:11 PM »
and, that leaves PRR fans still without a Mikado

There is hope ... https://www.broadway-limited.com/prrl1s2-8-2.aspx These guys are Pennsy nuts so hopefully it will come to N along with some stuff I would like. :D

Who knows when Kato will make the Mikado again? (it was 20 years between SD40 releases). And maybe not so easy to find a new one. So you're looking at used - then it might be from the early runs with the pizza cutter wheelsets (pilot wheels? I forget). Then there are people that just don't want to mess with all that and get it ready to go.

I did notice they are going SOUTHERN 4501, which I rode behind many times long ago. I would not buy a Kato Mike and paint it up for SOUTHERN (green) as I model N&W, but I might pick up the BLI release cuz it won't take away from my N&W modeling ... hmmm  8)

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +627
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2019, 07:19:00 PM »
and, that leaves PRR fans still without a Mikado with a belpaire firebox...

Well, that leaves us Santa Fe fans without...um, anything... Again, not a single steam loco save for that awful old Bachman pos Northern. But the very first BLI listing for the USRA Mike is... wait for it... Santa Fe! Never mind Santa Fe had an almost religious aversion to all things USRA. It’s been said painting “Santa Fe” on a loaf of bread will make it sell, but we can’t get anyone to paint it on an actual ATSF prototype model.  :|

Having said that, I hope BLI does well with these (UP had some light Mikes, with big Sweeney stacks), and I hope they keep improving their models with each new release.
Otto K.

soo

• Crew
  • Respect: +100
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2019, 09:12:30 PM »
+2
who cares about the pennsy? Otto makes a great point,,atsf aint gotta thing.
So i think pennsy fans need to quit their whining, they have the frigging K4, M1 and T1...wow i feel sorry for you,,,awww poor thing.
this forum makes me wanna puke sometimes. you guys,,,,need to just  be thankful that we as modelers have to work with.

prr7161

• Crew
  • Respect: +13
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2019, 09:32:16 PM »
+1
I'll likely sign up for one of the P&LE heavies.  Hogtrainz has 'em on preorder already for ~$235, which is in the ballpark for a Kato plus sound decoder and speaker.  It'll still need all the modern upgrades, including a twelve-wheel tender, but then again so does the Kato.  It'll be an interesting comparison.

Angela

The Mon Valley in N Scale

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +236
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2019, 10:10:22 PM »
Well, that leaves us Santa Fe fans without...um, anything... Again, not a single steam loco save for that awful old Bachman pos Northern. But the very first BLI listing for the USRA Mike is... wait for it... Santa Fe! Never mind Santa Fe had an almost religious aversion to all things USRA. It’s been said painting “Santa Fe” on a loaf of bread will make it sell, but we can’t get anyone to paint it on an actual ATSF prototype model.  :|

Having said that, I hope BLI does well with these (UP had some light Mikes, with big Sweeney stacks), and I hope they keep improving their models with each new release.
Otto K.

Well, they are lettering the USRA heavy Mikado in ATSF letters and numbers, to see if they can sell us a $329 Foobie.  Errr.... loaf of bread. 
https://www.broadway-limited.com/5700usraheavymikadoatsf3287paragon3sounddcdccn.aspx

Not for me.  $329 buys me a lot of accurate models.
Tom D.

Some things are better left unsaid. Which I generally realize right after I have said them.

High Hood

• Crew
  • Respect: +62
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2019, 10:45:20 PM »
That GN sample looks fantastic! I do wonder when we’ll ever see a sample of their SD70ACe sometime soon?