Author Topic: BLI Announces Non-PRR USRA Heavy and Light Mikado  (Read 11399 times)

glakedylan

• Crew
  • Give Respect. Expect Respect.
  • Respect: +234
    • Justice Kindness Humbleness —Micah 6.8
Re: BLI Announces Non-PRR USRA Heavy and Light Mikado
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2019, 11:09:56 PM »
+4
who cares about the pennsy? Otto makes a great point,,atsf aint gotta thing.
So i think pennsy fans need to quit their whining, they have the frigging K4, M1 and T1...wow i feel sorry for you,,,awww poor thing.
this forum makes me wanna puke sometimes. you guys,,,,need to just  be thankful that we as modelers have to work with.

it was NOT a complaint. it was an OBSERVATION.
i care about ATSF and other roads as well
its a shame someone cannot express an observation w/out such backlash
gimme-a-break!!!
PRRT&HS #9304 | PHILLY CHAPTER #2384

Point353

• Crew
  • Respect: +707
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2019, 12:42:14 AM »
who cares about the pennsy? Otto makes a great point,,atsf aint gotta thing.
So i think pennsy fans need to quit their whining, they have the frigging K4, M1 and T1...wow i feel sorry for you,,,awww poor thing.
this forum makes me wanna puke sometimes. you guys,,,,need to just  be thankful that we as modelers have to work with.
Were you hoping that BLI might produce a model of this loco?

soo

• Crew
  • Respect: +107
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2019, 07:11:37 AM »
Maybe I was having a bad day,,maybe I am sick of people " observing" that a company left their favorite RR out of the release that was announced.
Screw everything
Point,,Really does not bother me in the least about the 1003. I could not even tell you what kind of loco that is.

Maybe I need to relax..maybe I need to.....

mike_lawyer

• Crew
  • Respect: +151
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2019, 08:50:28 AM »
I am happy to see more N-scale steam.  I guess the issue I have is that the street price of this loco will probably be around $230.  You can find the revised version of the Kato Mikado and pick them up for around $80-100, add your own decoder, and customize it however you want for much less than what BLI will charge.

reinhardtjh

• Crew
  • Respect: +327
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2019, 09:35:38 AM »
In N Scale yes.  BLI has MANY HO non-PRR seam locos.

https://www.broadway-limited.com/steamho-3.aspx

Yes, When I typed that I told myself that I needed to make it say N Scale and then I promptly forgot!   :facepalm:
John H. Reinhardt
PRRT&HS #8909
C&O HS #11530
N-Trak #7566

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +3047
    • Designer at Keystone Details
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2019, 12:58:23 PM »
Yes, When I typed that I told myself that I needed to make it say N Scale and then I promptly forgot!   :facepalm:

No worries John!

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +8454
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2019, 01:08:02 PM »
+1
Maybe I was having a bad day,,maybe I am sick of people " observing" that a company left their favorite RR out of the release that was announced.
Screw everything
Point,,Really does not bother me in the least about the 1003. I could not even tell you what kind of loco that is.

Maybe I need to relax..maybe I need to.....

I would agree...on the relax part.  So, let's remember that Broadway Limited Imports--named after the Pennsylvania Railroad's premiere passenger train--made its name by releasing high-quality RTR sound-equipped Pennsylvania Railroad-specific prototypes in HO scale.  Later they branched into other roadnames and models. Then they finally made inroads into N scale--again with the PRR as a primary focus--before branching out.  While even as a former Pennsy modeler and still a PRR fan I would agree that complaining about any other company releasing a 2-8-2 that wasn't a Pennsy L1s would be unwarranted whining, we're talking about a company that literally named itself after Pennsy who does mostly Pennsy steam.  So yes, please chill a bit.  Also remember the forum you're in...primarily founded by East Coasters or many with East Coast roots that run deep regardless of where they physically find themselves today.

As for N scale Pennsy L1s options...  The GHQ kit is still out there somewhere if you are patient and diligent in looking.  And didn't a company release a brass one with DCC and sound a few years back?  I know it initially had problems but didn't they promise to fix them?  It's not like a Pennsy person is completely SOL for an L1s. 

And yes as SPFs, we do need to keep a lock down on our sense of entitlement.  Pennsy may have built and owned more steam locomotives than most other railroads combined...but it's precisely because they were so visually unique that makes them less marketable.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2019, 01:09:59 PM by Dave V »

Albersala

• Crew
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2019, 01:18:20 PM »
I do wonder when we’ll ever see a sample of their SD70ACe sometime soon?

Personally I´m losing hope.  :(

mike_lawyer

• Crew
  • Respect: +151
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2019, 01:34:07 PM »
I would agree...on the relax part.  So, let's remember that Broadway Limited Imports--named after the Pennsylvania Railroad's premiere passenger train--made its name by releasing high-quality RTR sound-equipped Pennsylvania Railroad-specific prototypes in HO scale.  Later they branched into other roadnames and models. Then they finally made inroads into N scale--again with the PRR as a primary focus--before branching out.  While even as a former Pennsy modeler and still a PRR fan I would agree that complaining about any other company releasing a 2-8-2 that wasn't a Pennsy L1s would be unwarranted whining, we're talking about a company that literally named itself after Pennsy who does mostly Pennsy steam.  So yes, please chill a bit.  Also remember the forum you're in...primarily founded by East Coasters or many with East Coast roots that run deep regardless of where they physically find themselves today.

As for N scale Pennsy L1s options...  The GHQ kit is still out there somewhere if you are patient and diligent in looking.  And didn't a company release a brass one with DCC and sound a few years back?  I know it initially had problems but didn't they promise to fix them?  It's not like a Pennsy person is completely SOL for an L1s. 

And yes as SPFs, we do need to keep a lock down on our sense of entitlement.  Pennsy may have built and owned more steam locomotives than most other railroads combined...but it's precisely because they were so visually unique that makes them less marketable.

Good post Dave.  As for the GHQ kits, I HIGHLY recommend them to any PRR modeler.  They are a challenge, but the resulting model is outstanding, and the skills you learn in the process with regard to scratchbuilding are invaluable.  You can usually find the GHQ kits on the auction site or for sale on a number of boards, and the asking price is usually somewhere between $100 and $150.

jdcolombo

• Crew
  • Respect: +924
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2019, 01:56:05 PM »
Well, I suppose I'll have to buy at least one unlettered unit and see how it runs.  The Kato is a heavy Mike; the NKP had almost all light Mikes, except for a few heavies that it inherited from the W&LE.  I'm mostly interested in pulling power; my MRC/Model Power light Mike will pull a 50-car train - more than two of the Kato Mikes (with traction tires).  I'd be happy enough with a couple more of the MRC units, but I'll have to at least take a look at this one.  And then if I like it, I'll have to pull out the entire sound system and put in a LokSound and a decent speaker.  Sigh . . .

John C.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4529
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2019, 02:45:27 PM »
+1
And didn't a company release a brass one with DCC and sound a few years back?  I know it initially had problems but didn't they promise to fix them?  It's not like a Pennsy person is completely SOL for an L1s. 

Yes.  See https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=32823.0
. . . 42 . . .

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +1245
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2019, 03:26:57 PM »
Can they use the chassis for the PRR mike? It may just be they are trying to get the largest return on tooling to fund other versions.
There's a shyness found in reason
Apprehensive influence swallow away
You seem to feel abysmal take it
Then you're careful grace for sure
Kinda like the way you're breathing
Kinda like the way you keep looking away

Tom Todd

• Crew
  • Respect: +20
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2019, 05:29:36 PM »
I have several friends who love the steam locos they bought from BLI.  So I took a gamble and ordered a GN version from Hogtrainz.  This is even though I have 2 KATO's.

Tom Todd
Go Great; Go Great Northern

Or SP&S

soo

• Crew
  • Respect: +107
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2019, 07:25:17 PM »
Relax!!
No problem.
On second thought...nope no second thought.

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
  • Respect: +996
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2019, 08:08:04 PM »
+1
Guys, I just banned soo because I got word he was going to delete his posts (and I cannot deal with this type of technical issue right now).  I sent him a note to contact me when hopefully he’s cooled off and I’ll unban him.

Best, Tom