Author Topic: Show us your Briggs Kits  (Read 2737 times)

mandealco

• Crew
  • Respect: +87
Show us your Briggs Kits
« on: May 15, 2019, 05:16:51 AM »
+3
Hi
There has been some amazing work done, both by Jeff to produce many much needed models, plus the efforts of many to build and operate them.  Seeing the work of others is quite motivating and there is some great work being done with these kits.

Here are some of my efforts, though a bit to do to complete some of them and to get them to the standard of what has been posted lately.
CP Rail M-636 from an M-630 kit with a few mods.

The chop nosed CP Rail RS-3 is rather ugly, but I had to have one.

Now I would love to see you models, either in progress or completed. 
Cheers
Steve
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 06:22:20 AM by mandealco »

craigolio1

• Crew
  • Respect: +260
Re: Show us your Briggs Kits
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2019, 02:35:44 PM »
+3
Awesome models!!!  I especially like the M420w.  Will that be a CPR or CZ chop nose RS3?

I have many models on the go.

Here is a BCR M630W which I made using an M630 body and a cab I scavenged from a damaged M420 shell.

This is the same loco along with an M630 and an Atlas C630 with the Doffasco truck conversion.

Here is an M420. I have two A units and two B units.

Here are a couple of them in various stages of decoration. The final pic includes one of my three 8-40CW

I haven’t started in any of the freight cars yet, unless you count the plethora of Kaslo kits.

Craig

mandealco

• Crew
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2019, 04:09:21 PM »
Great work Craig, very nice MLW's.  The RS-3 will become CP Rail 8435, the only face lowered CP RS-3 that I ever saw.  Crown Zellerbach was an option.  I think CZ was once owned by our Fletcher Forest Company, or whatever name it went by at the time.
Steve

craigolio1

• Crew
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2019, 04:14:32 PM »
Thank you.

I have parts to do the same loco but mine will be CZ. So ugly. But so awesome. Haha. I’m not sure what CZ became. Those lumber companies seem to change names every few years.

philippe.whyte

• Respect: +8
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2019, 07:24:44 PM »
+3
The vast majority of my Briggs Kits (I have many!!)  are packed away until I have time to build them.  I'm trying not to have too many projects going at once.  Currently working on two Briggs projects...

Trailer flat cars (building 8 cars):

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

And a BC Rail rebuilt Alco C-420 based on an Atlas model with Briggs detail kit (radiator, filters, grilles, etc.):

Philippe
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 07:27:09 PM by philippe.whyte »

mandealco

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2019, 08:41:05 PM »
I like the C-420 Philippe.  The 2 BCR C-420's (I think it was 2) came from the Lehigh and Hudson River and are now on the Arkansas and Missouri as their 56 and 57.  The kit can also be used to build the A&M units.

Steve

philippe.whyte

• Respect: +8
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2019, 06:54:33 PM »
+1
I like the C-420 Philippe.  The 2 BCR C-420's (I think it was 2) came from the Lehigh and Hudson River and are now on the Arkansas and Missouri as their 56 and 57.  The kit can also be used to build the A&M units.

Thanks Steve.  Yes, BCR had 2 units.  I'm modelling 631 and there was also 632.  Funnily enough, the Atlas model I started with was a L&H unit.  I hadn't considered that the kit also could be used for A&M... interesting.  I actually suggested Jeff produce this kit and I'm pleased that he decided to make it.

Philippe

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +491
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2019, 01:45:21 AM »
+1
I think I posted my first M420 here before:

You've crossed the walls, excelled
Further along through their hell
All for my heart, I watch you kill
You always have, you always will
Now spread your wings and sail out to me

mandealco

• Crew
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2019, 01:53:43 AM »
That's awesome Daniel.  This is about showing off what you have achieved with your Briggs Kits to help and motivate others, even if we've seen it before.  Great work with the handrails.

Steve

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2019, 01:56:41 AM »
+2
Still working on this one:
Still has a lot more to go. Because I reversed the chassis, I was able to put a 8x15 speaker in a C40-8 cab headlight baffle. The sound is pretty impressive!

I really need to finish this.

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2019, 02:03:49 AM »
Newest project:

My first time adding Sargeant stripes to an engine. That blower duct was such a pain, but I think the results are acceptable.

Details, final paint and weathering then windows still need to be added.

This kit a a bit difficult because the etched stills are a bit short. You can see 6" spaces between the end of the still and pilot steps. I also need to find a way of adding stairs to the rear of the engineers cab and reinforce that kickboard.

But still... A great kit.

BCR 570

• Crew
  • Respect: +745
    • BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2019, 03:38:32 PM »
+2
Great thread; excellent work all.
Steve:  Love the M-636; a huge locomotive back in its day.
Craig:  Nice to see your motive power fleet progressing.
Philippe:  Great shots of the C--420; looking forward to seeing it finished.
Daniel:  Good job on the P&W M-420s; rather unique with those trucks.

I first met Jeff in 1995 if I recall correctly.  A mutual friend and fellow BCR modeller Andy Barber invited me over to the island to meet a 19 year old modeller who was interested in producing N Scale cast resin kits.  I was shown a cast resin kit for the BCR wide vision caboose.  Little did I know at the time the extent to which cast resin and later 3D printed kits would impact our hobby, particularly for those of us modelling prototypes for which accurate RTR models were not available.  Now 24 years later, it is difficult to imagine my ability to model the BCR without the extensive range of kits Jeff has produced over the years.  His kits continue to evolve with the newest ones produced in a tougher resin and with holes for etched parts printed in place.  No doubt one day we will see RTR printed kits.

the efforts of many to build and operate them

Yes, as enjoyable as it is to build these kits, it is also satisfying to see them in operation.  Here are a few pieces of equipment built from Briggs kits on the layout for tonight's operating session:

MLW M-630 708 built with the Briggs M-630 conversion kit and Dofasco truck kit, arriving in Chetwynd at the head of the daily Vancouver-Peace freight.  On the left is caboose BCOL 1863 which was built from his first kit back in 1996.

PGE 1446, a NSC 52'-6" flat car built from Jeff's first 3D printed kit, returning to Chetwynd after delivering its first revenue load. 

BCOL 993020, a BCR MoW tool car built from the Briggs Models Minibox kit, currently stored in Chetwynd Yard between work trains.

PGE 990281, a PGE power car kit-bashed from the Briggs Models Minibox kit, also stored in Chetwynd Yard. 

Tim

T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca

mandealco

• Crew
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2019, 01:56:26 AM »
Always a pleasure to see your work Tim and I appreciate the history lesson.  The great thing about modellers producing items for others, is that they know what we need and understand how other modellers work.

Steve

craigolio1

• Crew
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2019, 08:16:51 PM »
+2
Tim if we’re talking Kaslo as well I would say Briggs’ kits are pretty much single handedly responsible for making it possible to accurately model BCR from the 70’s to the late 80’s, because of the caboose:

50ft combination door box car:

skeleton log car:

and 52ft bulkhead flat car. Sure Prairie Shadows did it RTR but it was available in kit form 20 years ago. 

Plus we have the recent S13, which reminds me my new decoders came so I should get back to those.

And did Jeff to the Kaslo FP9?

And the Kaslo BCR C44-9 cabs?

Edit: I swear this photo is right side up in my phone.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2019, 08:40:04 PM by craigolio1 »

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +147
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2019, 09:04:54 PM »
I’m still waiting for my C415s to arrive state-side.
Now seeking Pacific NW N scalers to create a Modutrak-style modular club featuring NP's shared mainline between Seattle and Portland. PM me if interested.